Approach & Landing Speeds

Igor4U

Lovin my MiG so far !

She's one fine little sports-car of a Jet.

With that small delta wing I knew the MiG-21 Approach Speeds were going to be on the fast side.

But I never realized the MiG-21's Approach Speeds were that fast:

340-360 Kilometers/hr (190 KIAS)

And 10 to 15 percent of that (airspeed) is solely to keep the AoA low enough so the Pilot can keep the Runway in sight over the nose of the aircraft.

Needless to say - I'm still working on my Landings !

83577292_MiG-21bisApproachSpeeds.thumb.jpg.c331729be0bb38c359f3468415f76a8e.jpg

Haha nicely done! What was your speed on finals considering the sonic-boom on the break lol. As for this topic, I am also in the same boat, for some reason landing the Mig "properly" for me personally is feeling like a real challenge at the moment. Much more practice required to get it smooth as butter.

What was your speed on finals.....

Something close to 1400km/h as I remember it.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Lol MBot, very true! I've been flying some circuits tonight around Sochi-Alder airbase and felt that 400km/h was quite nice with stage 1 flaps. Then when the marker beacon hit I went to full flaps and slowly let the speed bleed to about 340km/h at which point I was at the threshold to flare and slowly reduce to idle. This was however with a clean configuration and only 50% fuel in the tank. Still a little bumpy on landings but much better than I was. For cruising at pattern altitude I was at about 600km/h.

I've been using 360-380 km/h on final but instead of flaring and reducing to idle. I keep the same power setting in the flare until main wheel touch down. Once I get the airplane in a three point stance I then put the throttle idle and pop the chute.

It makes the landing a little exciting but doable

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

The real secret to a nice smooth landing is to ignore the fact that you have to go fast. There's nothing you can do about it, you'll be going fast period. Disregard your lateral speed, but concentrate more on your descent speed.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

mig 21 steering problem

Hello everyone would know someone tell me if the nose gear and steering and how you unlock it or the keyboard command

tank for support

SUPERCIC

CPU: i7 920@3.40Ghz in air

RAM: Gskill dd3 12 gb

MOBO:gigabyte x58ud7

GPU: GTX480 on gf100gpu

HDD:4 ssd mtron sata3535 in raid0

hdd2:western digital 1 tera

PSU:Antek 1000watt

Case:lian lee

Saitek x65

Trackir4

The real secret to a nice smooth landing is to ignore the fact that you have to go fast. There's nothing you can do about it, you'll be going fast period. Disregard your lateral speed, but concentrate more on your descent speed.

Best advice ever! :D

Best regards,

Tango.

I see that she has blown flaps... So if you back off the throttle to slow down you are going to lose lift and fall on the ground short of the runway. I found this out the hard way. I might try turning the BLC off to see how she lands without the blown flaps.. very fast I imagine.

I love the way landing makes me more nervous than combat does!

I see that she has blown flaps... So if you back off the throttle to slow down you are going to lose lift and fall on the ground short of the runway.

I think this is the most important advice in regards to landings. Never cut the throttle until your wheels are on the ground. If you come in fast you can reduce throttle a bit in the flare to reduce floating but don't go to idle until you touch down.

The way I understand it, the blown flaps receive bleed air from the engine proportional to engine RPM. So even if you are in the perfect flare 3 meters above the ground, if you cut throttle you immediately loose so much lift that you fall from the sky like a stone.

A little poke to LN, this might be an important bit to discuss further in the manual.

Ive heard this advice somewhere: On the final, you should handle it more like a helicopter, in the opposite way than during the level flight - you should control the speed with the pitch of the airplane and descent rate with the throttle :smartass:

As has been said dont cut the throttle - fly it on to the R/W. If you cut the throttle for the flare it will drop like a brick.

Your right Suchacz.

On the approach use the stick to increase/decrease the speed and the throttle to adjust rate of decent.

....same way I was taught in a cessna.......

Edited by drack

I tried this and my landings is much smoother now. Had to use full throttle at some point but if the descent rate is ok, no worry :D

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

If strictly follow the glide path, touching the ground is around 2/5 of the runway. For other AC im used to land at around 1/6~ 1/5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

Real life manual says to pull the stick above the runway until you are on level flight just above the runway, and should land around 260-280 km/h with the stick at nearly full aft. That sounds terrifying, though.

MiG-21Bis%20landing.jpg

They say not to retard the throttle behind BLC gate. In-game there isn't this indication, so I suppose it's the MIN indication on the throttle ?

I never knew about the BLC system. That explains to me why it dropped like a brick the second I chopped the throttle. Are there any details on it in the manual. I haven't seen any. If not it may be good to add a short blurb about it because it's very unique and is something new to keep in mind during the landing procedure.

Is there anyway to turn it off?

That is sooooooo ture!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aircraft I have thoroughly studied: A-10C, Ka-50, Mig-21bis, UH-1H, Boeing 737-800/900, Dash-8Q400, Bell-407

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

i7-8750H@2.2GHz 6 Cores turbo up to 4.1GHz, GTX1070 Max-Q@8GB GRAM, 16G RAM, 512G SSD, 500G SSD, CH Product Fighter Stick, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5.

Has anyone been able to hold their nose up to airobrake on landing? With the current flight model its nigh impossible.

Most of the videos I've seen of the real mig 21 landings the nose can be held up for quite a bit before it 'gently' falls to make contact with the concrete.

Your comments are appreciated, as always.