Take-offs are too rough and feel like taking off in a gravel pit

stray cat

QFT! :smartass::thumbup::pilotfly::joystick:

She flies at 120 knots - just how slow do you want slow :P

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Above all - just fly the pattern and practice. Delta wing aircraft are actually the easiest to land, but they require good technique as they are unforgiving if you get slow.

What you said basically is "delta wings are the easiest to land but they are the hardest to land".

I appreciate everyone's detailed instructions for landing and I will make use of that information to get better, however I still think the suspension on this plane is acting too weird. Which is causing these issues I have on landing. Either its jacking the plane back up or simply breaking unless I get the tiny window where it is just right right. Which I think is not consistent with

1. The difficulty of landing with other planes, because It is very easy to land the F86 or the A10c. The WW2 planes are tricky to land, but I can see why, for example if I bounce I dropped too fast and they dont have springs to absorb the shock.

2. The Mig21 has huge tyres, and the gear looks way sturdier and has supposed springs to cushion the drop, but as I explained before that, it either breaks or bounces the plane up

I actually find the Sabre harder to land, since you have to go so slowly. Safe gear-flaps speed is something like 220 kts, not much room for error, and the brakes suck.

The A-10 shouldn't really be used as a comparison here because it's the kindest, most forgiving aircraft imaginable.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

2. The Mig21 has huge tyres, and the gear looks way sturdier and has supposed springs to cushion the drop, but as I explained before that, it either breaks or bounces the plane up

Tell you what - I'll slam you into the ground from 3 steps up and see if you walk away with all your limbs intact :chair: :P

OK all jest aside, I just watched your track and no, IT'S NOT OK to slam the plane into the ground (and I do mean slam) going 415km/h and still expecy your landing gear to survive the impact: Not gonna happen.

Do yourself a favour and use Min 'Vody runway, the longest runway in the SIM. Spawn in the air and practice your landings in accordance with the instructions in the manual.

Again, it's not the SIM: It's all you. If you still have problems then let us know and we can help further. You however have to be prepared to at the very least do the basics right.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The track in the attachment features 2 landing attempts. The second was smooth and yet the suspension on the gears act like a jack in the box, bouncing my plane. Its not me, its the suspension being way too stiff.

I will not believe its supposed to be like this until I see the lead developer of the mig land 3 times in a row on a live stream.

mig21_landing3.trk

The track in the attachment features 2 landing attempts. The second was smooth and yet the suspension on the gears act like a jack in the box, bouncing my plane. Its not me, its the suspension being way too stiff.

It's you. Simple physics dictates that if your descent rate is too high then you are going to bounce like a rubber-ball.

In any event, my apologies for not pointing this out earlier but better late than never:

You are doing yourself no favours by attempting to land a plane with a 100% internal fuel load. Don't get me wrong, it can be done, but not advisable without a lot more practice. This would also explain the difficulty you are having and again, it's not the SIM, it just requires a very delicate touch at that weight which is waaaay above recommended landing weight. What you need to do is to edit your mission, giving yourself a 25% internal fuel load, this percentage a reasonable operational RTB configuration. Try landing the plane again and compare results - I'll almost guarantee you that you'll stick the landing without problem and realise that the SIM is fine :thumbup:

In order to aid you I flew a quick mission, spawning in the area where you did, landing at Sochi. Now I don't and never have flown the numbers - I fly by 'feel'. I do like to bring her in high, thus maximizing visibility.

In any event, technique aside, the plane touches down doing 260km/h, coming to a stop without the necessity of a chute with more than enough internal fuel remaining. Suspension is fine and no breakage/bouncing.

Herewith Vid and Track for illustration:

eQexbxtGonQ

Track: Mig landing.trk

Edited by 159th_Viper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You are landing with near full fuel load, at 400km/h, with T/O flaps and you say

its a simulation fault?

I sugest you go RTFM again, if you even did before, because I and many others can land this plane just fine.

Tried again, now with dropping to 200km/h before touching the runway at crazy high AOA (cant see runway). Now I can land without breaking it.

But the manual mentions that faster, low AOA landings are better because visibility. Any tips on landing with 300+ km and low AOA? For me the plane always sinks too fast.

And why is this plane so dangerous to land while the F-86 is so easy to land? I can eyeball landings with the F86 from crazy angles with no regard to AOA or drop, the gears never break or bounce, even if I come it at 400kmh.

Runway length is another problem but the F86 has excellent belly slide capabilities once the gear tears off when you overshoot runway.

For me the plane always sinks too fast.

Do you pull the throttle after or before touchdown? You shouldn't do it until you're firmly on the ground as that'll disable the SPS system and you'll almost instantly lose a lot of lift.

Tried again, now with dropping to 200km/h before touching the runway at crazy high AOA (cant see runway). Now I can land without breaking it.

But the manual mentions that faster, low AOA landings are better because visibility. Any tips on landing with 300+ km and low AOA? For me the plane always sinks too fast.

Why don't you just watch my track/video and do what I do?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tell you what - I'll slam you into the ground from 3 steps up and see if you walk away with all your limbs intact :chair: :P

OK all jest aside, I just watched your track and no, IT'S NOT OK to slam the plane into the ground (and I do mean slam) going 415km/h and still expecy your landing gear to survive the impact: Not gonna happen.

Do yourself a favour and use Min 'Vody runway, the longest runway in the SIM. Spawn in the air and practice your landings in accordance with the instructions in the manual.

Again, it's not the SIM: It's all you. If you still have problems then let us know and we can help further. You however have to be prepared to at the very least do the basics right.

Kids, kids kids calm down will you. The facts as they stand are that this was a beta release. My own experience so far is that most, if not all the systems are bugged. Even the flight model is in the toilet as far as performance goes. Getting your snickers in a twist over it ... mmm think that might help?

Yeah, the suspension isn't there yet; LN have stated that they're not finished with the tweaking, so I imagine it'll get updated sooner or later. Until then, when it's this lively, we'll all get really good at landing it.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

The aircraft can be landed smoothly provided you use the correct technique...

However the bumps are to rough. The Gmeter is getting spikes from 0 to +2g while rolling. As stiff as the real aircraft might be, this has been clearly overmodeled...

Well said.. Thank you.. :thumbup:

Suspension and tire bouncies just need a tweak.. :)

Edit: To clarify my position. Not too concerned about the G-meter as that may be the case but the bumpiness is too grand on the roll axis TO wise.

Edited by 26-J39

Yeah, the suspension isn't there yet; LN have stated that they're not finished with the tweaking, so I imagine it'll get updated sooner or later. Until then, when it's this lively, we'll all get really good at landing it.

How about developing a decent campaign in the meanwhile ...

A good title might be 'The Banker Wars' ....

A good title might be 'The Banker Wars' ....

:doh:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
I have attached a landing attempt which I would consider smooth, I can land safely like that for

100% A10c

80% F-86

60% ww2 planes

However on the mig, as soon as my gear touches the ground, its like a spring loaded catapult.

Take a look at the track file in the attachment if you like.

Landing is the most important thing in the whole world of flying.

Unless you get a 99.99% success rate on landing you should work on that and nothing else.

Take-Off, go around, LAND, take-off, go around, LAND, Take-Off, go around, LAND, take-off, go around, LAND, Take-Off, go around, LAND, take-off, go around, LAND, Take-Off, go around, LAND, take-off, go around, LAND, Take-Off, go around, LAND, take-off, go around, LAND, Take-Off, go around, LAND, take-off, go around, LAND,

Once you have done like 500+ landings in a row that somehow you could walk away from you get to where a Pilot should be.

Do it in different angles approaching, drag her in slowly, dash her in and bank like nuts to slow her down, come in deadstick from Angels 1, 5 and 10, 2 klicks 10 klicks and 50 klicks out, get a feeling for gliding and speed/energy management WITHOUT the option of a gas lever. Learn to judge fast and one time only and be darn damn right, there is no place and time for THINKING how it works while you do it, if you dont HAVE it you have to learn harder.

It's like riding your bike wheelie for a mile down the road, once you know how it works it's very easy and relaxing, you dont even think about it while you do it, and you do alot to keep the balance, speed and direction, all at once, one handed.

Same applies to flying low speed, you have to predict CORRECTLY what will happen next, you must not guess, you must now it and take action in time cause your envelope is tight and there aint that many moves to get you safe if things go south too low too slow.

One thing that maybe applies to arm chair pilots is that if they never flew real aircraft or at least R/C models is that they DONT have to learn landing 100% before you go anywhere else in the sky and risk your life as a RL pilot or your model and maybe even danger for spectators if you just cant control an airborne vehicle safely.

PC Pilots can RESPAWN easily and thus never really pay enough attention to flying safely and truely. Many post I have read let me believe that more than a few of those writers never ever have actually really practised LANDINGS.

IMHO, landing is one of the most thrilling things to do. You are LOW AND SLOW and with engines off you know you gotta make it THIS time, no go around...

I got the MiG-21 yetserday night, had time for 1 flight that lasted until my engines flamed out at high altitude cause of a mentioned bug I was not aware of, so I took the challange and got that bird down between the mountains on a more or less tiny road, no gears worked, flaps did....and I wlaked away from. Not the best landing, but for an Alpine Emergency and no gear and no clue what the cockpit buttons are I enjoyed the thrill to be able to walk away from....anything goes, just be able to walk away from.

Bit

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X