Power degraded after rearm/refuel?

TurboHog

Before rearming I was able to climb according to the climb-out charts. (Staying below 7000m ofc, because above 7000m performance differs significantly from reality, see: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=130722)

After rearming I took the same loadout and things were different. I could not climb at 2000m on full power. In fact, I could barely keep the speed constant while flying level.

So I decided to do a repair, ask for a clean configuration and then ask for the usual loadout again. But it was not a fresh start and performance was still seriously degraded.

I have included the SARPP file. This flight was on a multiplayer server. I will try to replicate the situation in single player.

Climb-out 1: between 512 sec and 650 sec to an altitude of 2500m. Perfect result and very realistic climb performance

Climb-out 2 (after rearm/refuel): between 4564 sec and 5000 sec to an altitude of 4000m.

Notice speed, rpm and altitude between 5075 sec and 5142 sec. Full power, climbed only 200m but speed went down rapidly.

Climb-out 3 (after repair, rearm, refuel): Between 6562 sec and 6991 sec to and altitude of 2200m. See the difference with climb-out 1? Both on the same power setting!

Notice speed, rpm and altitude between 6800 sec and 6989 sec. Speed is constant and power is full military. It was good for only 200m of climbing while altitude was around only 2000m(!!!)

In a Graph (Thank you xxJohnxx):

Both images show the same scale and can thus be laid on top of eachother. Engine power, loadout, atmosphere all identical. The relation speed/altitude clearly isn't.

Blue = altitude

Yellow = speed

Dark blue = RPM

Good climb:

AtKFaze.jpg

Bad climb:

3liprkC.jpg

>NOT A BUG/PROBLEM< Solution:

I noticed that after Rearm and Refuel the Nose cone Switch goes off. Check this.

And so youve less power.

Sorry for wasting your time and thanks for the quick reply Philip...

SARPP_DATA_2014_08_21_15_40.rar

Edited by TurboHog

'Frett'

The degrading of severl things are modeled..

Engine stress should reset upon engine shut-down (manual p. 21), and if not then, certainly when the aircraft is repaired by the groud crew.

If it is engine wear, it's not realistic (effectively broken aircraft after one climb following SOP?) and subject to a bug in it not being repairable.

EDIT: see above. Philipp2, you lovely man.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

I was flying the single player test, looked at my nose cone switch. And it was off while I certainly turned it on (but before rearm refuel)

Turned it on mid-flight and had good climb performance

Thanks for the stupidly simple solution.

By the way:

My generators stopped working from time to time. It shows how well made this sim is.

Edited by TurboHog

'Frett'

Right, but why should switches change positions in the cockpit after repair? Sounds like a bug to me.

Not a bug, a feature.

In the manual :

"

You might notice this when your

canopy opens (if it was closed), some switches

flipping back into the OFF position and aircraft

fluids recovering to normal values. Watch the

compressed air manometer (RH61), pilot’s oxygen

(LV39) and engine oxygen (LV2) indicators to assess

whether your systems are repaired.

"

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asteroids

Update this

:D

Oh, cool. I still wonder why though. But I guess there are more pressing issues for the devs to address, and I can certainly live with this quirk.

Glad to get this sorted out! Now we only need to get the cruising performance up to scratch too.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! This is why restarting the mission made a difference!! I was changing the load-out in real-time (to add pods etc..)!!!

Let me test!!!

Does this explain the whole 6000 m/7000 m finding we made last night as well?

Related: If the nose cone was NOT moving position, then going supersonic should cause serious engine problems due to the shockwave? I've just become slightly skeptical.

Best regards,

Tango.

Does this explain the whole 6000 m/7000 m finding we made last night as well?

Related: If the nose cone was NOT moving position, then going supersonic should cause serious engine problems due to the shockwave? I've just become slightly skeptical.

Best regards,

Tango.

Which finding? I think we all concluded that performance below 7000 m was fine during the climbs as regards fuel consumption and power, but the high alt. cruising problem can't be related to this (since I've started all my small tests, which corroborate yours, with a fresh aircraft at altitude).

It is perhaps wise to carefully consider the configuration of the aircraft before we do more tests. Even starting the mission hot at altitude might need further configuration of systems to get the full performance.

Hmm... as I thought.

Regarding the 6000 m/7000 m observation - above this altitude, performance drops off significantly, and rapidly, above this altitude.

Even after triple-checking all switches before departure, passing ~6500 m, the aircraft performance reduced, and I was unable to climb above 7800 m with 2x R-3R and center line 490 L tank.

It appears the problem persists. :(

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango
  • Like 1

Thanks Tango for your testing.

Before reading this, I noticed that at high altitude, I coudn't maintain airspeed without A/B. For a high performace jet, I just felt this wasn't right.

The Sabre, with a less T/W ratio, has much better performance at higher altitudes.

Hopefully the Leatherneck team, can fix the FM, so we can keep enjoying our 21

Right, but the problem this thread was about has been resolved. I suggest we keep discussing in the other one!

I'm sure they will! I know they're working like crazy.

Best regards,

Tango.

Yep! I have Cobra on skype and he's staying up to crazy hours working on stuff, and I'm sure the rest of the team have similar workloads.

Edited by Corrigan

I noticed that after Rearm and Refuel the Nose cone Switch goes off. Check this.

And so youve less power.

Noticed exactly this, too. Thought I accidently switched it off, but after seeing this thread, I highly doubt I did something wrong. Good to know.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg