F-86F Sabre Campaign

chobbsUH60

Hello fine DCS community, been playing this sim for a while now and cant get enough. I've created a lot of missions for myself, but I have decided to take it a step further and start a campaign.

I am a big fan of the Sabre (no matter how many flaws there are in this early of a stage), and seeing as there aren't that many campaigns out there I figured I'd share it here with anyone that will take an interest in it. Been working on it for a few days now and still have a lot of work to do but I'm planning on having the first stage out here in a couple of days. Before I go any further, I try to be as realistic as possible throughout my campaign but obviously with the length that i wanted to make it, I needed to add a bit of fiction later on in the stages when NATO would start to get involved. I figured I would post some info here first and let you guys know what it will be about that way I can get an idea of how many people are interested in a Sabre campaign.

Ill start with an excerpt to briefly explain what it will be about and the general.. storyline if you will, behind the campaign set in the cold war era:

Truman and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill quickly became suspicious of Stalin's intentions.

George F. Kennan sent what became known as the "Long Telegram". Kennan had served at the U.S. embassy in Moscow for several years, and his opinions about Soviet mentality became the basis for American foreign policy toward the USSR. Among Kennan's assertions were that the Soviet Union was motivated by both traditional Russian imperialism and by Marxist ideology; Soviet behavior was inherently expansionist and paranoid, posing a threat to the United States and its allies.

On September 24, 1946, President Truman received a report that had been based on Kennan's observations, with further contributions from Kennan. In July 1947 Kennan, writing as "Mr. X", published "The Sources of Soviet Conduct" in Foreign Affairs magazine. Kennan created a foreign policy toward the Soviet Union when he wrote: “United States policy toward the Soviet Union must be that of a long-term, patient but firm and vigilant containment of Russian expansive tendencies.”

So I put that out there because it helped me form a realistic baseline of the conflict and how it starts and mostly just the course of the whole thing (reasons for different countries joining the USSR and/or leaving NATO, whether it be over fear or greed). So now that you have an idea of that, lemme tell you a bit about how it will be set up and then see what you guys have to say before posting the first mission!! The full campaign will be posted but i will give you an update frequently with videos of the mission(s), depending on if you want more videos or you just want me to finish it, lol.

The course of the campaign is gonna be that Russia (USSR) has had enough of Capitalism and NATO backstabbers and has decided to get revenge for the end of WWII when "Stalin believed that the opening up a second front in Europe was intentionally delayed by the Allies so that Russia might continue to bear the brunt of the German war."

Initially, Russia is going to attack on two fronts, one with Ukraine in the West, and one with Georgia in the East. Turkey, mounting a counter-attack will be the opening of the campaign. The U.S. will be brought in to help Turkey in the East and the U.K and Germany to help in the West. It will start with easier missions due to the fact that Georgia wont be ready for the counter attack and the supporting Russian forces will be low in numbers due to the fact that they haven't FULLY mobilized. As the campaign goes further, the missions will become more populated and will eventually include hot re-fuels/re-arms on the ground to get back up and get some munitions down range and possibly take out some more migs.

In addition to letting you guys know what I'm working on I would like any and all feedback if your interested as far as thoughts on the subject. Questions are welcome and input is appreciated. I cant promise that it will be up soon but the process is half the battle, and fun I hope for you all. I also understand all the bugs in the sabre are not completely worked out yet, the idea is to put a campaign in motion for when they are and therefore I ask the patience of trying to work around these to provide a good experience.

Out of respect to this forum I figured I would also add that the quotes and information posted earlier about the USSR is strictly me digging for a plausible storyline and in no way is a personal vendetta against anyone from the country or the country itself. Hope you all enjoy inputting your thoughts and eventually playing through it.

Very glad to hear your guys' enthusiasm and support. I am running into a bit of a roadblock though, ever since the update, i am able to save games, but they aren't showing up in the folders. The only way i can open the missions that I'm working on is because when i start the game and ME, then click open, the mission title is already in the file name bar. I have a few saved missions for the first stage that are sitting in my saved games folder under User but they for some reason didn't save as Miz files. Trying to work it out now but was wondering if anyone has ever seen this.

Thanks,

Chris

I think you manually need to make sure there is a .miz at the end of a file name in the ME.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

LOL as many missions as i have created, i always seem to forget that. it has been a while though because i was waiting for them to take some of the Sabre bugs out before i created the campaign. But thank you, i figured that out, fixed it, then came on here to edit my post but saw that you had beat me to it.

Alright gentleman, have made some good progress in the missions and been working out a lot of little things. Been wanting to show you guys a couple missions so you have an idea of what you'll be getting BUT... I downloaded Movavi game capture and it is making DCS crash. It's not my computer because I found some reviews of people having the same problem. So i need your guys' input, what capture card or software should i use to make the video?

I haven't tried it but I read NVidea's GeForce Experience has a good video capture utility. You need to be using a supported card though, not sure which ones.

Win 10, Gigabyte Aorus Ultra with i5 9600KF @ 4.6GHz, 32G DDR4 3200 RAM, GTX 1070, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog stick on VPC Warbird base, Warthog Throttle for jets & helis, CH Throttle Quadrant for props, CH Pro Pedals, 500GB SSDs for installed sims :gun_smilie:

Paid version of Fraps.

Plus:

Aside the "replay" not really following the original flight, record multiple short segments to avoid the famous "replay drift" or, at least, watch carefully for that drift, and use Fraps... only the replay at 1/2 speed or even 1/4 speed. You should have a SSD to put the capture and, even then, you will see your sim's FPS drop considerably. If you are using TrackIR, leave the speed normal but smooth it to its max and then slow your head down a lot! Do not compress with Fraps. Record at full 1080p and 30 fps in Fraps for as long as your SSD will permit. Edit to get the resulting slo-mo with Adobe's Premiere, After Effects or equivalent to go back up to 30 fps (normal speed) but do not recompress. Use Handbrake to compress, move to a large HD and copy over or delete the source videos to save space.

Hope that helps

Edited by =Mac=
add more info

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...