Planning to buy alot of modules

Alkaline

Hi,

So, money incoming, hehe. Going to buy some modules then, but I need "help" to decide.

My thoughts.-

The KA-50 Black shark 2. Is it better than Black shark 1.0.0.0 ? In 1.0.0.0, the helicopter explodes by a gentle nose touch on the ground... I mean, comeon..

F-86 Sabre. Well, is it nice? :)

MiG-29bis.

K-4 Kurfurst. The explaination and features seems to be nice :) Is it?

And of course, the huey! Or is it enough with the KA-50?

Those is what I have in mind. Give me recommendations and why! :D

Atm, I have FC3 and A-10C Warthog. And I truly love the A-10C. FC3 is a bit boring IMO.. There u have my "style"..

X-55 Rhino guide to configure the Mouse Nipple to work as TDC slew!

My rig

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4GHz

8GB RAM

R9 270x 2GB

SSD

Win 8.1 Pro

I can recommend the Huey, it is definitely different from the Black Shark which is a floating tank. The Huey is more of the technical vehicle of the skies, and I find it to be very enjoyable to fly. It is purely a helicopter in terms of how it handles. For it, and for any other module, I would suggest a full rudder pedal, stick and throttle setup.

You don't "need" a full stick, throttle and pedals setup for any module. Given infinite space and money it's preferable, but your Cyborg should do just fine (though the Huey will benefit most from the improved control).

Seen as you already have FC3, that only leaves full fidelity modules, they are all good, the real question is which excites you most?

Personally I'd go for the MiG 21 (it's new, it's great quality, Leatherneck seem to be really standing behind it so far and what's not to like about a missile with a cockpit?) and pick the rest up at the Christmas sale.

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

You need to make sure you get the MiG-21Bis man!

It's incredibly fun and easy to use, plus, it's modern enough to be used in combat in any server. The 104th server has already implemented it and it's great for air-to-ground! I was using it today with some gunpods and rocket pods and we were clearing objectives incredibly fast. It's a work of art, you wont regret buying it!

-Gargoyle

Wanna see my latest DCS: World movie?

Follow this link!

My YouTube channel- https://www.youtube.com/user/Gargoyle792nd

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Atm, I have FC3 and A-10C Warthog. And I truly love the A-10C. FC3 is a bit boring IMO.. There u have my "style"..

Why do you think FC3 is boring? Depending on the answer, the unreleased F/A-18C might be very good fit for you and conversely, you might not like the F-86. It depends on what you like/dislike about FC3.

I find all the modules good, though I use them for different things. The only one I don't have is the Mi-8 since the UH-1 came out first to give me a taste of tail rotors in DCS physics.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I'm greatly enjoying the F-86 right now. Very fun to fly. And the plane takes hardly any rudder, even less than the A-10, so a simple joystick should work okay for the Sabre.

But you also need to be aware that the F-86 module is still in development. That means there are a few bugs, no training missions, no campaign, and only a very abbreviated quickstart manual. Certainly all those things are coming later, though, and you can enjoy flying the module as it develops and gains more content.

Wow, thanks for all the replyes!:)

The things I dont like about FC3 in general, is non-clickable cockpit, weird physics- like if u go a lilbit too fast when landing, the landing gear just goes thru the ground like they werent there and the whole plane explodes... Meanwhile in the Warthog, if u go too fast, u risk of bouncing up again and then results in a big slam which breaks the gears and u slide on ur wing etc.

Gargoyle, Alright, yes I have played abit on the 104th server actually :) Tho, I dont like if it's "easy", it must be advanced like A-10C u know..

And about hardware, what more would I benefit of getting another joystick? I mean, I got like 7 buttons, a thrust-slider and cyclic and rudder on the stick, what more?.. I've been thinking of getting a new joystick, but for what? I doubt that my flying will improve cuz of a new joystick just cuz someone else made it u know..

Regarding hardware, if it doesnt affect my flying so much, its not necessary IMO.

My rig

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4GHz

8GB RAM

R9 270x 2GB

SSD

Win 8.1 Pro

Rudder pedals do affect your flying so much, is the point. They're practically a requirement for any helicopter, which you say you're interested in.

A better joystick is only a little bit better, but adding rudder pedals at about the same cost as one of the modules you're already planning on buying will make a huge difference.

weird physics- like if u go a lilbit too fast when landing, the landing gear just goes thru the ground like they werent there and the whole plane explodes... Meanwhile in the Warthog, if u go too fast, u risk of bouncing up again and then results in a big slam which breaks the gears and u slide on ur wing etc.

Well get your landing speed right then ;) Sounds like you are having to force it onto the ground, which will tend to blow things up! Give yourself a long approach to get settled, don't try close in circuits until you are near 100% on your speed control. If you are too fast to get it to settle properly (main gear first) in the first third of the runway, go around and try again.

And about hardware, what more would I benefit of getting another joystick? I mean, I got like 7 buttons, a thrust-slider and cyclic and rudder on the stick, what more?.. I've been thinking of getting a new joystick, but for what? I doubt that my flying will improve cuz of a new joystick just cuz someone else made it u know..

Regarding hardware, if it doesnt affect my flying so much, its not necessary IMO.

You won't notice THAT much difference with new hardware. Though having a separate throttle and rudder WILL help, you could buy most of the rest of the DCS catalogue for the the cost of a fairly middle of the road HOTAS and rudder setup ($260 CH Pro rudder + X52 Pro vs $333 to purchase every DCS module you don't own at full sale price).

Honestly, it will improve your flying, but it is by no means a requirement, it is perfectly possible to fly (and more importantly, enjoy) any of the modules with what you have, even the Huey.

If you have the cash and space to get both the modules you want and a hardware upgrade, take a look at it, otherwise, get the modules you want to fly, enjoy with your current stick and when it dies (it will do eventually), replace it with something a step or two up.

Edited by Flying Penguin

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

I did not have a lot of experience with BS1, but I don't think that there is much of a difference to BS2. BS2 is compatible with DCS: World so if you like to fly the Shark this is a good deal. Also there is (or was?) a discount for BS1-owners.

The Huey is a totally different experience, as there are AI Gunners. And don't expect the Huey to be deployable against armored targets, nice against soft targets though. Same for the Mi-8, very fun to fly but not effective against Tanks or AA.

The BF109-K-4 is not released yet, so can't tell anything about it. By the way, will it feature the wing-mountable cannons?

Anyways, I really like the old Warbirds and I think I'm going to buy all of them at least after some time. P-51 and Fw-190 are really fun to fly in Multiplayer!

Rudder pedals do affect your flying so much, is the point. They're practically a requirement for any helicopter, which you say you're interested in.

A better joystick is only a little bit better, but adding rudder pedals at about the same cost as one of the modules you're already planning on buying will make a huge difference.

I found myself quite fine without pedals while flying the Ka-50 and the Huey, they are quite stable in yaw as long as you don't have a change in torque. I decided to buy pedals for flying the WWII Warbirds, as it is important to eliminate slip for good dogfighting and accurate fire. The input from the twist axis just wasn't fine enough to accomplish this. And yes, it has improved my helo-flight aswell, goodbye rudder-trim ^^

Edited by Maverick-X

MiG-21 isn't quite easy as in FC3 modules, it is modeled very advanced a'la A-10C level. What Gargoyle meatn I believe, was it MiG-21 did just fine in easily clearing ground objectives with ground attack missions.

By your standarts, I also would suggest you definitely should get a good look at MiG-21Bis :). Bf-109K should be pretty great, but remember it will release in November, currently it is in presale. I personally love WW II aircraft in DCS, they, in my opinion are the most fun things to fly in DCS, and old school dogfights or ground attacks in them feel very challenging and rewarding. I have both Mustang and Dora, and they are both sweet, I would expect 109 to be no less.

I personally love F-86, but depends on what you look for in a jet. While F-86 is modeled highly realistically, it is a pretty simple jet itself, so you may find it not complex enough if you like managing complex systems. But flight model and systems model wise, it is pretty darn great.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

My advice, get the lot, and be first in the queue for the next release too.

Once you get hold of the first hi fidelity model, your jaw will drop, you'll swallow hard, and roll up your sleeves to get really stuck in and master it. You'll curse sometimes, punch the air the first time you get a decent landing under your belt, and mostly, you'll just wear a silly grin all day at work the following day.

Oh and have plenty of snacks and drinks in easy reach of your desk, cuz this stuff is seriously addictive.

Well, my money has arrived, hehe.. Soon I will buy, gotta think first and read all comments thruly, hehe.

Btw, guys.. Im a poor man, so... That talk about HOTAS and pedals for 300 fking bucks, no way man :P

Edit - Looking on the F-86 Sabre right now, sweet lord its expensive... I thought every module costed like 15 bucks like it did before.. xD I think I only buy one module... xD MiG Bis or Sabre :DDDDD

Edited by Alkaline

My rig

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4GHz

8GB RAM

R9 270x 2GB

SSD

Win 8.1 Pro

Well, my money has arrived, hehe.. Soon I will buy, gotta think first and read all comments thruly, hehe.

Btw, guys.. Im a poor man, so... That talk about HOTAS and pedals for 300 fking bucks, no way man :P

Edit - Looking on the F-86 Sabre right now, sweet lord its expensive... I thought every module costed like 15 bucks like it did before.. xD I think I only buy one module... xD MiG Bis or Sabre :DDDDD

MiG-21 comes recommended then. Have fun, mate. :pilotfly:

Hi,

So, money incoming, hehe. Going to buy some modules then, but I need "help" to decide.

My thoughts.-

The KA-50 Black shark 2. Is it better than Black shark 1.0.0.0 ? In 1.0.0.0, the helicopter explodes by a gentle nose touch on the ground... I mean, comeon..

F-86 Sabre. Well, is it nice? :)

MiG-29bis.

K-4 Kurfurst. The explaination and features seems to be nice :) Is it?

And of course, the huey! Or is it enough with the KA-50?

Those is what I have in mind. Give me recommendations and why! :D

Be warned, if you wait for the ED winter sale you can get up to a 70% discount so avoid buying modules when there isn't a sale going on unless you can afford it.

I only have the Cyborg V1 flight stick..

Does it have twist (z-axis)?

The Cyborg flight sticks are the only cheap sticks I would consider. A good amount of buttons (only one multi-directional switch though) and the Fly 5 has dual throttles and twist so you don't need separate throttle and pedals.

More advanced equipment won’t really make a difference unless you pay several times more money for more switches so you can get the true “hands-on” experience without using the keyboard at all.

Beyond the Fly 5/X52 HOTAS I would say you’re paying for immersion.

Edited by Archer7

I prefer the Huey to the KA-50 personally, it is more of a pilots machine which translates into more fun imo. The Sabre is a nice simple jet, the new sounds are nice. I love the FC3 F-15c personally, you could try giving it a chance, you may find you like it more than you realised.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I have an old Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick (over 10 years old). It has a twist axis for rudder which serves me fine. Even with the Huey I can get by. I am thinking of getting rudder pedals for the WWII planes though because just changing throttle settings totally messes up your trim.

Also, if you can afford TrackIR, make that your next hardware purchase. It really is a game changer.

• ED Team
Be warned, if you wait for the ED winter sale you can get up to a 70% discount so avoid buying modules when there isn't a sale going on unless you can afford it.

FYI, this is not accurate, its possible some titles may get a 70% discount as part as a flash sales, its certainly not true for all. So dont bank on 70% discount for all.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

FYI, this is not accurate, its possible some titles may get a 70% discount as part as a flash sales, its certainly not true for all. So dont bank on 70% discount for all.

I said up to 70% didn't I?

As I remember most modules got 60% off last time while three or so modules got 70% off and a couple were unaffected. Much cheaper.

• ED Team
I said up to 70% didn't I?

As I remember most modules got 60% off last time while three or so modules got 70% off and a couple were unaffected. Much cheaper.

Point is they arent always the same, you are lucky I dont run ED, I would take a season off from sales, everyone seems to get their panties in a bunch over them ;)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Ill give you my assessment of the titles I own (and even of those I don't):

Ka-50 - the true gunship in the DCS stable of aircraft. Can take anything - tanks, AA, SAMs, even ships with the Kh-25ML. Only struggle when fighting at night. Has a moving map display, datalink and a good autopilot - which you can turn off if you dare!

UH-1H and Mi-8 - I regret a bit having bought those since they do not take much of my limited flying time. I only don't fully regret because I am commited to support the devs of this sim. They are very cool and well modeled but their primary purpose is transport troops and engage soft targets, which is highly dependable on the mission you're playing. Also documentation is on the lacking side.

A-10C - You already have it, but for those who doesn't, this is the modern A2G killing machine. Stand-off weapons leave no one safe, cluster bombs which are deadly even to MBTs, full moving-map display, datalink, night-and-day capable, and that cannon - oh that cannon!

P-51D - A classic warbird. Back to basics in terms of flying. Handful to fly effectively, but the joy of flying only needing to look outside - except to check once in a while for your engine temps. I don't have the FW-190 and BF-109 yet, as it would be a bit redundant for me, but I suspect they all deliver similar experiences, excluding of course the nuances of each airframe.

F-86 - MiG Alley anyone? If you spent countless hours on that game, or has any kind of historic interest in the Korean War era, you can't leave this one out. But be prepared, as this is the real deal - which may be much less romantic than the movies may tell. It is crude - and rudimentary - but it goes fast and looks great! Nothing like getting into the tail of an unsuspecting Su-27, and ripple-fire two GAR-8 on his tailpipe, while roleplaying being a retired Korean War veteran who decided to dust off his Sabre hidden in his garage and take the fight to the Caucasus!

Combined Arms - who forgot this one? Well, since Flanker 1.0 I'm sure everyone contemplated driving the vehicles. Well, here it is. Hopefully ED still has some plans for this, since it has huge potential. The combat is still not very refined (T-55 can kill Abrams - 3km away...) but the ability to drive a Tor and send deadly rocket-powered hammers through the skies, even if with a generic HUD, is not to be underestimated.

MiG-21 - I dont have this one, as it hasnt been released on Steam yet. I may buy it once it does, just because I can and again want to support the devs, but if you are on a budget, you may consider reading its manual before (which is available online) and see if you are up to the challenge. Remember - its basically a jet engine with small wings - which means little fuel, delicate handling at low speed, therefore requiring skill to fly it effectively. It has its appeal, and its A2A combat effectiveness sits well above the F-86 (at least it has a radar), but far below even the MiG-29A. The A2G radar guided missiles look hard to employ, as you have to keep pointing your nose at the target until splash, and have short range. Well, they are the real weapons used on MiG-21, so no complaining here, but be sure of what you are buying.

Sorry if I made you even more undecided, but those are my opinions :) Also I play almost exclusively multiplayer, so I can't comment on the quality of the single-player campaigns.

• Like 1