F15c Engagement Suggestions

jcbak

In an effort to learn A2A, I've been flying the Eagle on MP. I've only had one kill and have been shot down countless times. It's very frustrating and I'm ready to quit and stay with ground attack. But I'm stubborn. I've got a much better understanding of the radar but it hasn't translated into success. Once I lock onto and pursue a target, I fire once I get within 12 miles or so after accelerating and climbing for altitude. It's about that time I get an inbound missile warning. Once I fire a couple of 120Cs, I decelerate and turn away using ECM. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong would be helpful.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Thanks....I think I've read everything there is on these forums already. I may just have to fact the fact that I have no aptitude for A2A. If I was having a problem with landing I know how to sort it out. I just don't know what to practice. No point in doing the wrong thing over and over again. I'm just getting good at doing the wrong thing. I'm okay against AI, its human opponents where I have no chance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Its my understanding from other pilots online that turning on radar and/or jamming too early is foolish as it gives away your location. If my opponent has his radar on, he is probably "seeing" me, so what point would there be in not turning on my radar? His radar isn't looking for my radar emissions. Second, I'm told that jamming too early gives you away as well. But again, if he has his radar on, wouldn't it be better to jam so that he can't get accurate altitude/distance on me? I'm not disputing the advice given me, I'm trying to understand it. My opponent is getting his shots off just prior to me which obviously gives him the advantage.

It's all relative to the situation, if there is a lot of friendly support, jamming can mask your ingress and allow you to flank etc. radar off. but doing this renders you blind and unaware of your surroundings. Primarily as a beginner in the F-15 you want to use your radar a lot and keep building a picture.

In a quiet environment then using your jammer too early will probably attract attention your way. A radar only sees about half the range of what the RWRs typically pick up the emission, so being 'jammer on' against a weak strength of radar broadcasts your position well over 100nm away, whilst the radar only picks up fighters from 60nm.

• Like 1

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

That clears up the radar confusion greatly, thanks Frostie.

Especially when flying alone I'd just recommend keeping the radar on basically no matter what, especially in the Eagle. There are always a bunch of people flying over places you'd never expect. If you're in the main line of fight giving away your position is generally less important than knowing the enemy's position, and generally this is what more than 90% of the people do on the server. Take off, fly a straight line to the enemy base. "pilots" :D

If my opponent has his radar on, he is probably "seeing" me
This a huge misconception of the whole thing. Just because you have a signal on your RWR that doesn't mean he can see you. The radar will only see you inside certain parameters, even if technically you're within the scan pattern or the current radar beam even. There's a lot more to it then how far you're from the guy.

I've been avoiding straight on attacks so that I can notch if I need to. I try to close in by basically "weaving" but yet my opponent gets the shot off first and is always able to evade my missiles. The guys on the 104th server are just too good for me. I appreciate the input it has clarified a good deal of my confusion.

If you know the theory part of the tactics and combat flying and how your sensors work and what are their weaknesses, etc. then all there's left to do is to get the practical details right. For that Tacview is invaluable as it's the only thing that gives you the correct picture of what happened. It will also show you what the other guy does to evade your missiles.

The first missiles are kind of a ceremonial greeting to force the bandit defensive. You do that in order to get to the real fight after the missile evasion which is about finding the other guy first to launch first from a much more deadly position. Finding the bandit again after evasive maneuver requires skillful and smart use of radar and anticipation of the bandits moves to search the right direction and altitude. The FC level radar is pretty simple so skillful and smart use of the radar isn't black magic but it does take some practice as your switchology needs to be both quick and correct.

In case you didn't know this already, 104th server has export disabled so you need to create the Tacview acmis from replays. If the replay is broken the other planes and their missiles will still fly their correct paths so you need to use some imagination to figure out where you were flying.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron