[NOTED] SAU directed landing mode provides incorrect directed inputs

Fishbreath

The following thread goes into detail on my testing, and includes a track, a sample mission file, and a Youtube video illustrating the problem: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=130931

The data in the previous thread doesn't show it, but I found that the bank director needle in the KPP would often command flight out of the localizer beam if I was off center.

For approaching the glideslope beam from below, the pitch director needle would often start by commanding a slight climb, then progressively command steeper climbs which would have taken me above the glideslope, then impossible climbs. Both the pitch and bank director issues remained through cycling SAU landing modes off and back on.

Sometimes, when the plane is in the PRMG signal (as indicated by black windows in the NPP center), turning on SAU directed landing mode will display the director needles dead center for several, regardless of maneuvering, then turn off.

May be related to Philipp2's report about automatic landing mode and Dejjvid's issue with the same.

Edited by Cobra847

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

I have a track from the open beta client as of last night which shows the pitch needle working and the bank needle wrong. I'll upload it and a video tonight or tomorrow.

A track of the latest beta version (1.2.10u2)? Just to make sure that the track was created using the latest patch - I think, I read something about ... well, needles ... and some changes that might have made it into the u2 patch. (But I did not pay too much attention to it and so I can't say if that is somehow related, sry)

Yup, 1.2.10u2, I'm pretty sure. (Need to double-check, though.)

Were there release notes for the patch that was in open beta yesterday? I didn't see any when I had the open beta client update.

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

I noticed the LOC needle is sometimes reversed from what it should be. First time I tried to fly an RSBN approach this threw me off, before I realized what was happening.

Interesting however that it doesn't always do it.

Best regards,

Tango.

Yeah, I've seen a couple of different failure types—sometimes the localizer needle is correct and the glideslope needle is wrong, and sometimes the localizer needle commands a bank that would take me off of centerline.

I recall the manual says that the PRMG system determines which direction you're landing from automatically. Maybe sometimes it gets confused for localizer or glideslope which direction you're coming from?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With the most recent patch as of today, the side-to-side director bar is pretty much accurate. The pitch director bar still seems to almost always indicate more and more climb the closer I get to the station at Senaki, even when I'm on glideslope.

It seems like I was wrong--the director bars are working correctly, but they're very sensitive. My process for instrument landings is now to get close with the deviation bars, and to use the director bars to keep myself lined up until I can see the runway.

• 1 month later...

I find the "flight director" localiser bar over sensitive, even though I'm lined up it "wobbles" to left & right like crazy, making flowing the FD manually extremely difficult in bad weather?

Also the SAU landing mode directional disengages several times during the approach?

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

• 11 months later...

Bump

1.5.1....still problems with Flight Director, localizer is very "wobbly" & glide slope is lagging behind & chasing.

Compared to the L-39's FD witch is very smooth, the Mig-21's is unstable.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.