Mig21 Flight model

Exocet

Hi all

During a training mission. I realized a maneuver that saved my life , a strange cobra ... My mate recorded the maneuver from his mi8.

I know that FM is not finished , but it would be a very big job changing this parameter . I ask to letherneck , are normal ? And I ask the question to the forum community .. what do you think? :ermm:

Edited by Exocet

Seeing as the Mig-21 is not capable of the Cobra IRL, it should not be possible. The only fighters capable of the cobra are certain 4th Gen and 5th Gen ships. However, Im not convinced that what you did was necessarily a Cobra. Mainly, I think the distinction between what you did and a proper cobra was that you came in from a dive, rather than in level flight, and your aircraft continued to fly in the direction the nose was pointed more or less. In a Cobra, the aircraft travels almost perpendicular to the AoA. You did not, as your plane began to accelerate upwards almost immediately.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Weed Be gone Needed

The only fighters capable of the cobra are certain 4th Gen and 5th Gen ships.

Haaaaaave ya met Draken? :)

But yeah, this isn't really the same thing as when a modern jet does it on purpose, I know. I just wanted an excuse to post that video :D

Edited by Corrigan

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

Granted that is the one exception. The Mig cannot do the cobra however. And what he does in that video in game is not a cobra.

I know it's not really a cobra, but I find it very strange

the output of the maneuver that is not possible as the result of this has happened and to stop the speed vector, to the ground. the inertia of the aircraft would never let him do such a stunt in real

Silver beat me to it. That maneuver you did reminds me very much of that Egyptian MiG incident, so seems definitely possible for a MiG-21 to pull off that maneuver from your video in real life.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

Silver beat me to it. That maneuver you did reminds me very much of that Egyptian MiG incident, so seems definitely possible for a MiG-21 to pull off that maneuver from your video in real life.

Same here. The MiG-21 is actually alot more agile than most people think. Just look at the USAF testing of one. (Have Doughnut IIRC)

Epstein is maybe the only one who knows it. That maneuver reminds me to exact that Story. I am really tired of competence without any source!

Thanks for the link silver...didnt found it.

You betcha!!:thumbup:

Intel i5 2500K 4.2 Ghz

GTX560 Ti Twin Frozr ii

16 Gb DDR3 RAM

Win 7 64 bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Same here. The MiG-21 is actually alot more agile than most people think. Just look at the USAF testing of one. (Have Doughnut IIRC)

Exactly! Intel warned us (RCAF) about the 21 back in the 80's. A lot of Warsaw pact countries

were still using it back then and they told us to not underestimate this little beast. I remember this guy during a briefing saying something like "anyone who thinks the Mig 21 is obsolete is going to have is ass handed to him in a one on one if the pilot of that Mig is any good". We started flying the "Bug" (CF-188) around that time and HQ thought we were getting a little too arrogant.

Edited by silverofx441
  • Like 1

Intel i5 2500K 4.2 Ghz

GTX560 Ti Twin Frozr ii

16 Gb DDR3 RAM

Win 7 64 bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Exactly! Intel warned us (RCAF) about the 21 back in the 80's. A lot of Warsaw pact countries

were still using it back then and they told us to not underestimate this little beast. I remember this guy during a briefing saying something like "anyone who thinks the Mig 21 is obsolete is going to have is ass handed to him in a one on one if the pilot of that Mig is any good". We started flying the "Bug" (CF-188) around that time and HQ thought we were getting a little too arrogant.

That's actually a really cool story.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

The bugs quickly proved that the 21 is indeed obsolete though.

I get ya. What i mean is it's always a mistake to sit back and relax and figure your equipment is so advance that you will never get in trouble. So what they were saying (intel) is complacency plus a Mig 21 with a good pilot in it was a sure way to get your butt shot down.

Reminds me of another story here. When we got our Argus CP-107 (sub hunter patrol airplane), they were simply unmatched. Even the Americans envied us. Then one day, they were not so advanced. In fact, every other country seemed to have a better sub hunter. But during training exercises we kept having better results and find super silent subs and "kill" them. I'm talking US subs here. Of course they wanted to know how we did it. it seemed we relied more on good 'ol tactics and they relied to much on state of the arts electronics. they admitted they became arrogant and complacent. it was a good lesson learned and the reason why countries have to train all the time for war: so we don't underestimate our adversary and we don't get all nice and comfy we our new technology. And come to think of it, look at the Zulu wars. The British army got it's butt kicked by half naked warriors with bow and arrows and spears while they were sporting Martini-Henry Mk I–IV. The British eventually prevailed but not after suffering heavy casualties.

Anyhow, the Mig 21 module is awesome!!

Intel i5 2500K 4.2 Ghz

GTX560 Ti Twin Frozr ii

16 Gb DDR3 RAM

Win 7 64 bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I know what you're trying to say now, but you never know- there's at least one 'study' out there that suggests the mig21 is somehow competitive with modem fighters in bfm, and it's simply not true. As an aircraft, it is inferior.

Training exercises are another issue - the entire point is to demonstrate to the pilots what might surprise them, and that's that. You won't be able to use such surprises on a pilot who does things right anyway.

PS: all that said, I'm not here to be negative. I'll be getting the module on the short term myself.

Because they're smaller faster and more maneuverable... Just like the enemy MIGs! :-D

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Of course, in the same way a rifle makes a sword obsolete. Doesn't mean you suddenly wanna get poked by one :P

Pffftttttt hahahahahhaha :megalol:

Oh so true :thumbup:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'