What's the best plan off attack?

Dudester22

I just started the first campaign mission and by the time I've set myself up for the targets someone else has already blown them up. This might be because I'm taken to long to get into position though. I had been trying to attack the targets from the rear and then from the sides, but maybe flying a bit to far out before coming back in. I'm just wondering now if it might be a better option to attack the target head on and put them on my 3 o clock when I encounter something, but I'm not sure what to do to be honest and need a little help.

Can anyone help with any ideas on how to go about attacking targets? Like should I head straight for them or what? Thanks!

I don't really understand what you described, but the way I attack my targets is pretty straightforward:

When I'm about 20nm away I start to recon the targets with my TGP and assign priorities. Priority number one are SAMs, so I put mark points on all of them. When I'm 9-10nm away I will start engaging them with my Mavericks. I usally attack multiple targets in one run (usally 3, sometimes even up to 6) by using the mark point I created to quickly switch between the targets. When all SAMs are dead I continue with AAA by using LGBs. After that I will kill armored and then unarmored vehicles. If they are standing in groups I use cluster bombs (CBU-97 and/or CBU 105), otherwise I will just use my remaining LGBs or Mavericks. If there are still targets left I will switch to my gun.

I usally do that pretty straightforward. I try to stay at around 20.000ft untill I eliminated the radar guided SAMs then I will go down to 15.000ft untill all IR-SAMs are gone. Regarding directions I try to stay on the side of target area which points toward friendly territory. For example, when I'm approaching the target area the friendly territory is usally at my 6. I try to come in for my attacks from the 4 o'clock, turn left after releasing my weapons and egress to the 8 o'clock or vice versa when I attack from the other side.

Maybe that helps you in some way.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I just started the first campaign mission and by the time I've set myself up for the targets someone else has already blown them up. This might be because I'm taken to long to get into position though. I had been trying to attack the targets from the rear and then from the sides, but maybe flying a bit to far out before coming back in. I'm just wondering now if it might be a better option to attack the target head on and put them on my 3 o clock when I encounter something, but I'm not sure what to do to be honest and need a little help.

Can anyone help with any ideas on how to go about attacking targets? Like should I head straight for them or what? Thanks!

Instruct the AI units to attack Armor or something else as u set up ur attack. If U want to take out the main target urself. It is much more fun that way I agree.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Generally, most attacks should be on a track thats from an IP no further than about 10nm from the target, thats where you should start running in. If the target area is low threat level then you can just do a wheel and circle over established safe areas to do constant reattacks til the target is cleaned up. Flying too far away is just a waste of time and many people do just that because they are far too dependent on the TGP which has a very narrow field of view and as such is best used further away and so outside of the normal attack range, ie. wasting your time.

How to attack is a whole book unto itself though. Lots of people spend their entire lives at Angels 15-20 but thats a rather dreary way to play the game, and it ignores obvious tactical options. Providing you have good intel and know that your track into the AO and to the target is relatively safe or you know where the threats are you can easily stay at something like 8000 feet which means its then much easier to use visual acquisition methods that allow you to fly much more fluidly instead of being mired in silly mark points and targeting pod antics.

The inverse of the 20 000 CCRP bombing run or Maverick attack is the pop up attack. Fly at low level using terrain masking to protect you from threats, which may or may not allow you to penetrate deeper than if you flew higher, and pop up for the delivery. This applies equally to Mavericks but it would necessitate having a clue where your target is.

In general understand that there is more than just one way to do this thing, and the obsession many people have with flying high and slow and staring into the fake FLIR of the TGP is hardly the only one, even if it is the most boring one.

You can fly straight at a target of course and if you have an IP programmed in the mission then its likely the mission maker intended you to attack along that track which implies that it should be relatively safe to just go straight in. However, the line you take from the IP needn't be literally straight and for anything like bombing runs you can easily do an offset to either side biasing towards the side thats less likely to have a threat. Turning in with only a 90 or 120 degree turn required to head back to the safety of the IP area is better than having to face a 180 which will require bleeding off more speed on the all too vulnerable egress from the attack run.

This thread of course underlines the greatest weakness in DCS out of the box in that there is a great shortage of information on how to properly utilize all these systems that are so well explained and outlined. Tactics is where being a combat pilot really begins and its the thing that DCS has the least support for, compared to other sims which actually have entire PDFs with hundreds of pages of tactical know how.

TLDR: Don't use the TGP like its your only option; stay as close to the target as possible to save time; don't just fly really high like you're a strategic bomber

Also posting a track of your flight in this mission in particularly would make it very easy to give specific analysis of how you're wasting time or failing to take advantage of good tactical opportunities.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

the campaign structure needs revision.

Here is what I think should be done:

1- enemy SAMs explode on taking off from batumi. This is realistic as usually A-10 come in when most enemy air defences are down (maybe wild weasels a different story)

2- targets should not at all be lined up on one line (including the outrageous tank triplets)

3- targets should be hard to spot

4- mission editor: other flights attack ONLY specific objects in specified times

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 3 weeks later...

planning hinges on three main considerations...

Mission:

CAS, interdiction, armed recon? if target areas are known, set up waypoints as "target reference points", then you can slave the sensor to that point, same applies using mark points if the JTAC is kind enough to send your mission via datalink. set your load out appropriately. expecting that you are going to have to clear some AD, take MAVs, and mix it up between the IR the EO, learn how to use force correlate. interdiction of convoys? take CBU 97s. dont know what you are facing? mix it up. dont take the kitchen sink however, since if you get into poo and cant maneuver, you will have to jettison all that shit anyway.

threat picture:

CAP, SAM AAA? if you just have a manpads threat, by all means keep you arse above FL12 AGL... but if you are facing a serious SAM or CAP threat, regardless of the strike package, keep your nose in the weeds, except maybe for short periods to scan your route and target area for threats and targets. The A-10 isnt really great for lofting, but learn how to do it anyway, it can be quite effective with CBU-97/CBU105 in CCRP flying at 300knts, much better than doing a standard bombing profile and overflying the target.

terrain:

use it. conceal your approach; give yourself an escape option if approaching a target area and someone rudely throws something nasty your way. RADAR no matter how gucci cant see through terrain.

all this will shape your approach to the target, flying at 90 degrees to the approach of friendly forces is best practice. if there arent any friendly forces in the area, fly from the angle which mitigates the risk best. locating them quickly comes down to mission planning, and using the sensors at your disposal.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Generally, most attacks should be on a track thats from an IP no further than about 10nm from the target, thats where you should start running in. If the target area is low threat level then you can just do a wheel and circle over established safe areas to do constant reattacks til the target is cleaned up. Flying too far away is just a waste of time and many people do just that because they are far too dependent on the TGP which has a very narrow field of view and as such is best used further away and so outside of the normal attack range, ie. wasting your time.

How to attack is a whole book unto itself though. Lots of people spend their entire lives at Angels 15-20 but thats a rather dreary way to play the game, and it ignores obvious tactical options. Providing you have good intel and know that your track into the AO and to the target is relatively safe or you know where the threats are you can easily stay at something like 8000 feet which means its then much easier to use visual acquisition methods that allow you to fly much more fluidly instead of being mired in silly mark points and targeting pod antics.

The inverse of the 20 000 CCRP bombing run or Maverick attack is the pop up attack. Fly at low level using terrain masking to protect you from threats, which may or may not allow you to penetrate deeper than if you flew higher, and pop up for the delivery. This applies equally to Mavericks but it would necessitate having a clue where your target is.

In general understand that there is more than just one way to do this thing, and the obsession many people have with flying high and slow and staring into the fake FLIR of the TGP is hardly the only one, even if it is the most boring one.

You can fly straight at a target of course and if you have an IP programmed in the mission then its likely the mission maker intended you to attack along that track which implies that it should be relatively safe to just go straight in. However, the line you take from the IP needn't be literally straight and for anything like bombing runs you can easily do an offset to either side biasing towards the side thats less likely to have a threat. Turning in with only a 90 or 120 degree turn required to head back to the safety of the IP area is better than having to face a 180 which will require bleeding off more speed on the all too vulnerable egress from the attack run.

This thread of course underlines the greatest weakness in DCS out of the box in that there is a great shortage of information on how to properly utilize all these systems that are so well explained and outlined. Tactics is where being a combat pilot really begins and its the thing that DCS has the least support for, compared to other sims which actually have entire PDFs with hundreds of pages of tactical know how.

TLDR: Don't use the TGP like its your only option; stay as close to the target as possible to save time; don't just fly really high like you're a strategic bomber

Also posting a track of your flight in this mission in particularly would make it very easy to give specific analysis of how you're wasting time or failing to take advantage of good tactical opportunities.

Staying low is not only for SAM/AAA avoidance, usually there are also some nasty airborne threats around called Eagle, Falcon, Sukhoi and Mikojan.

The best way to stay away from those is to stay LOW, as low as you can go and only stick your nose up when you need to aim & fire.

Sure, if there is no airborne threat around and the sky is yours, have a cigar at Angels 20 and deliver your goodies.... but the mud mover job is far more fun.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Ive just been learning pop up attacks which i have tried to explain below. Im no expert but happy to share what I have learned. It has totally changed the way I play dcs which now feels like a brand new game. If ive made some mistakes feel free to correct me.

To learn pop up attacks all you need is training rounds, smoke rockets and nothing else (ditch your tgp). Find a field and fire smoke into the middle of it. Slew your hud onto the smoke (this is your target) and tms up long it. Set your tad so the outer ring is at 5miles. Get about 7ish miles from the target and fly as fast as you can as low as you can (under 100ft). Fly offset to the target. When the wedding cake on your tad is at the 3 o'clock position just outside the inner ring (just over 2.5 miles out) pull up and look for the target it should be just infront of your wingtip, roll onto your side (keep looking at the target it will now be above your head in the middle of the canopy). Pull back on the stick, the target will travel down the canopy, roll over a bit more when the target is coming into your hud so your nose is pointing down (you never want to he pushing up with the stick). Line up your target, you should still be about 2.5 miles away (hopefully just out of range). Shoot that bas@#rd, turn away hard, jink and get back down to <100ft asap. Keep practicing until you can do it in your sleep and you are comfortable flying low.

This is how the a10 was designed to be flown (so ive been told).