Hard drive write speeds for Recording videos.

Python

Hi guys, I have been playing around with Dxtory this week in the hope of recording some DCS videos, my results have been less than pleasing while recording at 1920x1080. DCS world is installed on my SSD along with Windows and Origin, everything else is on my HDD which is a decent seagate barracuda 7200 1tb drive. The write speed last tested at 80 MB/sec which didn't give great results during recording. It would slow down the game some what, but during playback of the recorded footage it was so laggy that it was pretty much unwatchable. I ran a defrag hoping it would speed things up and tested my write speeds again, my SSD went up in speed but to my surprise....

u4OZ6vp.png

Clearly this is why I'm getting laggy playback when recording to my HDD, it simply can't keep up. My SSD is much better going on the two quick tests I did, but it is only small which is why I don't want to record to it really. I have 61GB space remaining on the SSD, 314GB on the HDD so they aren't full.

Does anybody have any idea why my HDD may be so slow? I turned off all other programs, even froze my Avast during testing. Or am I going to have to invest in a second larger SDD sooner than I hoped to dedicate to DCS and recordings?

My specs...

Core I7 3770k at 4.4GHZ

EVGA GTX680 SC

Asus Sabretooth Z77 motherboard

8GB Corsair XMS3 ram (1600MHz)

Corsair Force 3 SSD

Seagate Barracuda 1tb HDD

I'm using the Lagarith lossless codec during recording, file sizes are generally large even for short recording sessions, I don't want to drop the resolution down but may have too.

Any help speeding up my HDD appreciated, many thanks.

Edited by Python

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

80MB/s for a mechanical drive isn't terrible at all. Can't you turn down some quality settings of the recording software or toy around with some compression?

More than 80MB/s of video seems to be a very high amount of data for it.

OS: Win11 Pro 64bit MB: ASUS B550-I STRIX CPU: AMD R7 5800X GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB RAM: 32GB DDR4 SSD (OS and Sims): Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Accessories: TrackIR5, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals

Hard-drives (not SSD!) do not have constant transfer speed over its capacity, because they have more sectors on the outside tracks ("cylinders") than on inner. With constant rotational speed, read/write speed ratio can be even more than 2:1.

So one way how you can maximise transfer-rates is to re-partition your drive: remove all partitions, and create new one, on only 20-25% of the first sector-numbers (AFAIK, all SATA-drives count sectors starting on the outside cylinders, so sectors with lowest numbers are those where transfer speed is highest)...

I have just found a solution... Nvidia Shadowplay! Can't believe I have waited until now to try it. Barely any performance hit what so ever, and quality is perfectly fine for what I need. To think I was about to spend £200 on a new second SSD...

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]