DCS Mig-21 questions

Vinny002

Alert cancelled. I've found out why my F7 wasn't working...

...yep, it as an effin' TrackIR default F7 and F8 key binding, overriding game commands. I'm glad to have it sorted!

On a sidenote, what does requesting for "home plate" mean? Is it vector to my homebase? What about a "picture"? A reply "picture - single group at bullseye 089 for 5 at 20000" might as well be written in chinese, 'cause I don't understand a word of it :D.

Homeplate is your home base.

Picture - bullseye is a pre defined spot on the map (mission planner, you will see a series of small circles defining the spot). So in your example, the single group is 89 degrees from the bullseye point, for 5 miles (or could be kms depending on what side you are on), height is 20000 ft (or could be meters depending on the side you are on)

Hi, guys!

I'm at the Soganlug airbase but I didn't see the RSBN channel for it in the kneeboard. I don't understand how the sectors work which is used for ARK navigation. I looked in the manual but I still don't understand these things. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Please tell me what airbases are in sectors 1,2,3,4,5 ect. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

You should dial channel 12, the RSBN beacon is located right in-between Soganlug and Tbilisi. As for the ARK sectors they work like this - the map is divided in 4 main sectors: 1-I - the Crimean peninsula with 9 ground NDB stations, 2-I covering the area from the Kerch strait roughly to the line Sochi-Adler - Cherkessk also with 9 NDB's, 2-II covering the northern Caucaus area with 3 NDB's and 3-I covering Georgia with 5 NDB's. I suggest you print out the high resolution charts from "\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\MiG-21BIS\Doc\Manual_Images" for reference. I don't have memorize all of this information.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Keep in mind that not all airports are equipped with RSBN installation. If any particular base is not listed in kneeboard reference page you mentioned, then that's it - you have to figure out a different way of getting there.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Correct, there are no RSBN/PRMG stations at Novorossiysk, Gelendzik, Gudauta and Sukhumi.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Of course it has a radio for comms. The switches are on the right wall panel. The big orange "+" is used to dial a channel. There are 20 channels on the MiG-21 with set frequencies. The frequencies can be changed in the mission editor though.

It's all described in detail in the manual.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I don't think it can be seen from outside. If it actually can be seen, then certainly not as a moving flashlight but rather as a simple white light iluminating the entire cockpit. But like I said, I really doubt it is visible at all from the outside.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hi, QuiGon!

Got it! I prefer tuning the com frequency on the real radio in the mig-21 than from the mission editor. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

You can't change the frequency in the MiG-21 (except changing the channel of course). New frequencies can only be assigned pre-flight, which is done in the mission editor in DCS.

Hi, guys!!

Question for you, is the DCS Mig-21bis is still in beta? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Yes

Tornado3 small.jpg

What is the highest altitude and the highest speed you got up in the DCS Mig-21bis? Thanks!

I got it up to slightly above Mach 2 (seems to be allright with specifications) at about 10 km (don't know if it's "correct" or not). It takes quite a bit to reach this speed on afterburner, so good fuel management is necessary. Then I immediately decided to see how high it would go in dynamic climb. I don't know what optimal climb angle should be used in this situation, anyway the plane got up to about 18800 m easily.

But I mostly fly low, bombing stuff, so I'm sure folks who test this plane up high get even better results.

P.S. - can't wait for the EDGE, to see proper dark blue sky and earth curvature during strato flights!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Hi guys

How i can bind ASP PFD target size commands on keys or joy buttons?

Should be O and L, same buttons as the TDC (they are both controlled with the the rotary throttle lever).

And yes you can bind joystick buttons.

[EDIT] I re-read this and realized we were not talking about the same target size... To my knowledge there is no mapping.

Edited by PiedDroit

You mean the barometic altimeter? That would be on the lower left side of the center cockpit segment (C87 in the manual). The radar altimeter is just below it (C84 in the manual).

Tornado3 small.jpg