[RESOLVED] Rudder Authority During Taxi Exaggerated

Flagrum

I like the realism of the MIG21 in DCS so far....and it's old school 1956 tech.

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz (cooler master hyper 212 evo CPU FAN), ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel LGA 1150) motherboard, 16GB PC2400 DDR3 RAM, ASUS STRIX GTX 970 4GB Video Card, Creative Soundblaster Z Pci-E Sound card, 750W Power supply, MS Force Feedback 2 Joystick, Trackir 5, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound.

Thank you Flagrum,

steering is relaxed to support vast majority of casual players who described braking as "extremely complex" during myriad of tests with "realistic" breaking.

We had to do it.

Piston engine trainer Yak-52 has same breaking system, and in the end of 80s many 16 year old boys were able to deal with that and fly, and control. And more of that, MiG-21, for a period of time was a main aircraft in military pilot schools, and 19 year old guys handled that silver dove with fire in its a... And you say that we, seating "comfy" in our chairs can't do it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Реальные хотелки к ЛО3 по Су-25 в основном...

ASRock PG9, i-5 9600KF, MSI 2080Ti, 32GB 3466

This is DCS, not a game. Please add the option for realistic rudder and braking.

I'm all for making things simpler during the learning process, but the training wheels have to come off at some point. Removing the realistic option to do that however, is too far.

vast majority of casual players who described braking as "extremely complex"

Surely it is nothing a well-written description of the procedure wouldn't fix, or even a video tutorial?

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango

Explains the steering behaviour.

I don't think differential braking using the hand operated brake and rudder pedal proportioning is complex at all and should be the standard with this module if tgats the real world system. Simplified could be an option though.

God help "casual players" whem a taildragger with this setup and no lockable tailwheel becomes available in DCS.

Edited by Random

I'm reading a book at the moment called Red Eagles, about a classified program in the late 60's to early 80's when the USA had Mig's and were flying them in total secrecy alongside their Agressor squadrons to help make training as real as possible for their front line pilots.

I was reading last night and came across a paragraph taken from an interview from a US pilot that was explaining what it was like to fly the Mig-17, but he did say all Mig's had this same system of braking to turn whilst taxying. I won't quote the book word for word but here is the general picture of what he said. I think there is a typo in there which I added what I think it should have said in (brackets).

Taxying the airplanes was a bit of a trick. If you wanted to turn right, you pushed the left rudder bar in and you pulsed the brake lever on the control stick. That then dumped the pneumatic pressure to the left wheel brake and transferred it to the right wheel. You would get the free-swinging nose wheel to start to turn to the right, and then as you got ready to come out the turn you'd have to push the left (Right?) rudder bar passed neutral and you would have to start pumping the little lever again to get the power back on the left wheel, to get the nose wheel to straighten out so you could taxi straight.

He explained that a pilots first instructional session on the Mig was spent on the ground learning this technique as it was so different to what the pilots were used to.

I had to read it twice to make sense!!

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Differential braking and castering nose (or tail) wheel isn't all that uncommon. The lever activation is also old hat. I think there may just be a thread... or ten... on the subject already. ;)

You have your rudder bar reversed. Press on the right side to go right. Rather common, I think it's the steering bar from a bike which throws people off.

• 3 months later...