FAB-500 Effectiveness

RPY Variable

I was wondering about the effectiveness of the bombs. I drop a pair of FAB-500 to a M1 Abrams and one of them impart at about 5m (at most) of the tank. The bomb did nothing... I suppose that a bomb with an explosive weight of 207Kg at a 5 meter distance would leave the tank useless...

I don't know if its and DCS World issue or Mig-21 itself.

Interl i7 6700k - 32Gb RAM DDR4 - RX 590 8GB - Sentey 32"2560x1440 - Saitek X-55 - TrackIr 3

The simplified blast modelling of GP bombs (and peculiar results thereof) is a a general problem of DCS. I'm not sure if LN guys can do much about it until ED does some global adjustments for all weapons.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

got a replay? 500kg of explosives is more than enough to take out a tank lol

500 in FAB-500 is the total weight of the bomb in kilograms. The weight of explosives in a plain FAB-500 is 213 kg.

Edited by Gloom Demon

AMD Ryzen 3600, Biostar Racing B850GT3, AMD Rx 580 8Gb, 16384 DDR4 2900, Hitachi 7K3000 2Tb, Samsung SM961 256Gb SSD, Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, Samsung S24F350 24'

500 in FAB-500 is the total weight of the bomb in kilograms. The weight of explosives in a plain FAB-500 is 213 kg.

So the rest of weight is what? Armor?

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Can't wait till we have better blast modelling, it would make a lot of the weapons more effective. Also the ability to knock out certain vehicle systems such as optics or a track would improve the sim tenfold, whilst a T72 I'm sure would survive the odd S5 hit, I'm sure it's radio/commanders gun/something wouldn't.

FAB just simple HE bomb, not designed for killing tanks. I don't know which MiG-21 weapons is most suited to killing heavy tanks, but M-1 Abrams don't seem to like KH-66 very much!

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

I demolished an entire stadium with 2 midfield 500 fab bombs. The bombs dug themseves in the grass before detonation but still the whole stadium colapsed in flames like it was made of cartboard.

Next time I'place several abrams on the field just to see if they survives.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

seems odd that it can't kill a tank. I will try it.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Take S24's for tanks. Almost a certain kill on each pass after some practise. Scored a double kill on two moving tanks on the road twice (There was 2m between then at most)! Of course killing a static one is no problem either.

A friend shot this video of the double kill as well as a single kill on a moving T-55.

'Frett'

I can confirm that it does not work in indirect hit, even though, TACVIEW registers the tank as being hit by both pairs. Will try direct hit (may take time).

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

It must be VERY close (half a tread of tank distance). This morning I tried a pair again indirectly on a 10 pack assembled closely of tanks and out of the 10 only 2 were destroyed, 1 on site and the other after disperse on shot..

In terms of lethality, it is 20% effective.

Not sure but it feels like in latest patches some adjustment on damage model may have been going on. Near miss explosions or low caliber HE ordnance don't seem to do damage on armor, especially the heavier armor. Even when you can see them directly hit on mission replay, they don't register hits, I assume due to being unable to defeat the armor.

If so, this may be a welcome direction in damage realism, though 500kg bombs feel a bit anemic to me too, may be they need a bit more tuning, or may be we got too accustomed to them blowing everything up after falling anywhere near them :) (assuming that there indeed has been a change in damage / armor behaviour).

Even BMP-1s seem thougher than before.

That said, FAB-500 still does work especially when rippled from a Su-25 which can carry 8 of them.

May be slightly off topic here, but if this change I suspect indeed is happening, Fw-190D9 is the one that got the worst of it since it's gun ammunition is very heavily HE with a few relatively low velocity AP thrown in between, and rest of it's arsenal are 50 and 500 kg bombs. Especially the 50 kg ones feels almost useless unless you can snipe targets with them, I would expect them to do at least as much or actually more near miss damage than rockets like HVAR, Hydra, or S-8.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script