DCS: MiG-21Bis landing

lucien

I'm loving this aircraft so far. The way the pitot tube vibrates in the wind, the bluepit with those beautiful red illuminations, the sounds of the breaks and the gun loading. Oh man <3 I love this thing.

Heres a little landing.

What's your favorite thing about the aircraft?

I'm only hearing electrick tone. Is that a bug or engine sound is missing too?

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Keep the airspeed up and you might be able to see where you're going :)

ditto. Too slow, too low and your crooked approach makes your landing more difficult than it actually is. Give yourself a little bit more space to set up your approach. A thoroughly and well planned/executed approach is at least 50% of a good landing! :smartass:

i79900k @ 4,7 - Geforce RTX2080TI 11GB - 32Gbram - Win10 - TRackIr4 - Thrustmaster Warthog/Saitek Rudder

ditto. Too slow, too low and your crooked approach makes your landing more difficult than it actually is. Give yourself a little bit more space to set up your approach. A thoroughly and well planned/executed approach is at least 50% of a good landing! :smartass:

Well that's no fun :smartass: The landing didn't seem very 'difficult' but to each their own.

Edited by lucien

Good Job!

Well that's no fun :smartass: The landing didn't seem very 'difficult' but to each their own.

Don't let any criticism bother you. There are some real "Chuck Yeagers" flying these modules. My time in the Air Wing of the USMC I always heard the pilots imply that "any landing where you don't break something and you walk away from the plane, is a good landing." :pilotfly:

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Hi, guys!

I'm having a very hard landing the mig-21. How do I setup the approach for landing to get the mig-21 on the runway safely,what is the best speed in kilometers per hour for good visibility in front of me, and what is the best sink rate (vertical speed) on touchdown? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Passing the threshold at 350 km/h or so is probably ideal, but going a bit faster is fine. When you're above the rwy, flare to increase drag and touch down SOFTLY. Don't idle the throttle to descend, you'll fall like a brick. Sink rate should basically be zero.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

Don't let any criticism bother you. There are some real "Chuck Yeagers" flying these modules. My time in the Air Wing of the USMC I always heard the pilots imply that "any landing where you don't break something and you walk away from the plane, is a good landing." :pilotfly:

lol very true.

Hi, guys!

I'm having a very hard landing the mig-21. How do I setup the approach for landing to get the mig-21 on the runway safely,what is the best speed in kilometers per hour for good visibility in front of me, and what is the best sink rate (vertical speed) on touchdown? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

tbh you can land the Mig-21 at a pretty high rate of speed and get away with it because of the parachute. If you want visibility, I've found 350-400km/h is pretty good, but touch-down speed is supposed to be 260-270km/h with a flare. However, if you were to land it at 400km/h you'd still be able to stop it in time with the parachute. The main thing, however, is the sink-rate more than anything else.

To setup the approach for landing the mig has the RSBN which essentially points to the selected airport on your compass(refer to manual, forums are here to help though), PRMG system that works with RSBN to help setup landing. Essentially, what you do is look on your kneeboard find the radio frequency of the desired airport and call the ATC for navigation instructions. Tune the RSBN and PRMG to their channels for that specific airport, set your course set knob to the heading that the ATC gave you and follow the radial.

Sorry if I'm no help, I've been working too much to understand anything important about the mig.

Don't idle the throttle to descend, you'll fall like a brick. Sink rate should basically be zero.

This is also very true. If you look down at the throttle, you should have the throttle close to where it says "Landing" for a landing.

Edited by lucien

If you were to land it at 400 km/h, your tyres would explode. The wheel limit speed is 330 km/h - do not touch down above it. No chute above 320 km/h, or you risk facing the far threshold sans a chute and at a high rate of speed.

Being sloppy with your approach and landing speeds is a cardinal sin in aviation, quite literally in many cases.

There's a safety factor, of course, and it may not be modelled at all (yet), but exceed published limitations and you are a test pilot. Do you have the right training for that job?

Tyres explode at 400 kp/h?

Never experienced it with my Landings.

I found it okay to touch down with 380 - 410 kp/h and an Alpha at about 8.

These aren´t the softest nor the best Landings in the World, but they Work for me without being Crash and Burned after 3-4 bounces like a Volleyball.

Edited by Kelevra9987

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

I'm sorry what is the alpha? is that AoA? if so how do you fix your AoA?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Yes it is your AoA an you can keep it with Advancing the Throttle and maintaining the sinkrate.

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

Yes, alpha <=> AoA.

You control alpha through the stick. Kidding aside, the stick is in many ways effectively an AoA selector. Now, that's not the proper answer to your question though. For a given weight and level flight (or the approach, which in this regard effectively is level flight) a given airspeed dictates a given alpha in order to keep the weight of the aircraft equal to the lift generated by the wings. In other words, you can affect your alpha by changing your airspeed, as the weight of the aircraft is typically constant.

Cheers,

/Fred

If you were to land it at 400 km/h, your tyres would explode. The wheel limit speed is 330 km/h - do not touch down above it. No chute above 320 km/h, or you risk facing the far threshold sans a chute and at a high rate of speed.

Being sloppy with your approach and landing speeds is a cardinal sin in aviation, quite literally in many cases.

There's a safety factor, of course, and it may not be modelled at all (yet), but exceed published limitations and you are a test pilot. Do you have the right training for that job?

I'd rather not be a test pilot if I'm honest. But this is a simulation afterall, it allows us to project the physical limitations of the actual aircraft without putting anything of actual value in danger. I've been trying to land at 600km/h just to see if I could. I've yanked bombs off of my hardpoints in high G maneuvers just to get an idea of how hard I can yank the stick:joystick::joystick::joystick:. I admit that I don't know as much about the aircraft as I wish I could right now, but that is the consequence of working a full time job I'm afraid.

I'd rather not be a test pilot if I'm honest. But this is a simulation afterall, it allows us to project the physical limitations of the actual aircraft without putting anything of actual value in danger. I've been trying to land at 600km/h just to see if I could. I've yanked bombs off of my hardpoints in high G maneuvers just to get an idea of how hard I can yank the stick:joystick::joystick::joystick:. I admit that I don't know as much about the aircraft as I wish I could right now, but that is the consequence of working a full time job I'm afraid.

Do what ya want/what works. Ignore the folks that feel the need to critique your play style. I play for fun. The uniform is worn in real life...

If you take constructive criticism as something negative you need to take a deep breath, step away from your computer and man the f*ck up.

I'm going to file a hurt feelings report against you, sir.

Do what ya want/what works. Ignore the folks that feel the need to critique your play style. I play for fun. The uniform is worn in real life...

No need to ignore. If what they say may improve my flights, why not?

Edited by lucien