DCS: MiG-21Bis landing

lucien

Don't let any criticism bother you. There are some real "Chuck Yeagers" flying these modules. My time in the Air Wing of the USMC I always heard the pilots imply that "any landing where you don't break something and you walk away from the plane, is a good landing." :pilotfly:

I agree 100% :thumbup:

Hi, guys!

I'm having a very hard landing the mig-21. How do I setup the approach for landing to get the mig-21 on the runway safely,what is the best speed in kilometers per hour for good visibility in front of me, and what is the best sink rate (vertical speed) on touchdown? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Here's an in-cockpit view of a landing: Should give you an indication of what to aim for, one way of getting it done:

eQexbxtGonQ

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

The crew chief would probably be replacing all the disk if this thing has disk brakes, they would've got so hot it would have warped them:lol:

Sure was a pretty landing though:thumbup:

Makes me want to join the 159th:music_whistling:

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

lucien's landing

l(correction - that was 159th Viper's Landing) landing video (posted 9-28 three postings previous) there is among the best I've seen to date.

Looks like his trick is to keep the speed up a bit and be a tad steep.

Those two things (speed & steep) combine to keep the AoA (Alpha) low enough for the Pilot to actually see the runway over the nose of the aircraft.

Very Nice Roundout and Flare to a Smooth On Speed On Spot Touchdown.

Nicely Done !

PS: Don't forget all to "Do not come back to Idle on the Throttles until wheels on the runway.

I understand MiG-21 has blown flaps (like F-104 Starfighter) and the aircraft needs that Blown Flap Lift all the way to touchdown or she'll drop like a rock !

And for the too fast comments - Read the Manual (I was surprised also at first - but the Book was written for a reason). Lucien was on speed all the way !

Related Post:

TurboHog stuck a similarly Nice One (TurboHog posted on 09-30-2014)

smooth landing in the 21 with tacview

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=131584

Approach & Landing Speeds

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=130821

527796540_MiG-21bisApproach.thumb.jpg.7b4696b69d04dbdf0175ce5ad3304207.jpg

Edited by Igor4U
correction & add

I don't know why LN have chosen such steep glideslope to put in manual, but in MiG-21bis there is such parameters:

attachment.php?attachmentid=105293&stc=1&d=1412160167

attachment.php?attachmentid=105294&stc=1&d=1412160411

attachment.php?attachmentid=105295&stc=1&d=1412160485

And I see such a common mistake with max landing weight. Fuel remainder must not exceed 700 liters. If so, your speed according to same AoA will be lower

222.JPG.a25155877a3917f06c7d44de0a063909.JPG

333.JPG.223eeb8ab517c8f3e1df26a2b74dcb59.JPG

444.JPG.910f27371080ae325fe34611e314cf4a.JPG

Edited by GUMAR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Реальные хотелки к ЛО3 по Су-25 в основном...

ASRock PG9, i-5 9600KF, MSI 2080Ti, 32GB 3466

• 11 months later...

MiG-21 Landing Videos

YouTubed Up some MiG-21 Landing Videos here. I especially like the Video with them Landing on the Highway. ENJOY: Mig-21 landing on a highway

MiG-21 landing
Flight MiG-21 - HD Cockpit View (at 8 Minute Mark)
MiG-21 Take-off / Landings

1096721355_MiG-21LandingonHighway1.thumb.jpg.4f1e68a780d1686570f1a1d63b1bec4c.jpg

173857388_MiG-21LandingonHighway2.thumb.jpg.d7235606c72fc27aa7c33fa9a60b0516.jpg

Edited by Igor4U
Formatting

Sure is better than my early landings. Most of them ended with no wings or ailerons. Tube shaped aircraft sure do scrape those off good when they roll down the runway.

My problem with hard landings has always been fighting the urge to back off the throttle and let it fall onto the runway. Below 340km/h it drops like a stone. It really is a matter of powering it into the tarmac with a very low descent rate for the best results. At full flaps and 340 - 350kph it has a ton of lift and the nose is extremely low allowing you to really see the runway well.

Most of the time I set it down really smooth now, But I got a warthog with a 75mm extension and that makes it leaps and bounds easier. Still once and a while, especially if I'm tired I mess up and squash my gear and have to do a go around. Then hear the unwelcome sound of the ATC saying "check your gear", yes, I know i pancaked my gear thank you Mr Air traffic controller.

Most of the time I set it down really smooth now, But I got a warthog with a 75mm extension and that makes it leaps and bounds easier. Still once and a while, especially if I'm tired I mess up and squash my gear and have to do a go around. Then hear the unwelcome sound of the ATC saying "check your gear", yes, I know i pancaked my gear thank you Mr Air traffic controller.

I have quite a number of landings under my belt, but I still sometime bounce back up, and/or damage the gear.

A helpful tip: If you haven't, do the tutorial for the RSBN landings. While you dont really need it unless you're in super bad visibility, it did help me get a feel for the descent angle that I want. Your mileage may vary, but I did a bunch of practice landings watching the RSBN glideslope indicator until I had a feel, and then started just mimicking that approach without it.

Also, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the fixed net has roughly half-degree marks on the vertical line. If you keep an eye on your AoA indicator, you can sort of approximate your total velocity vector, like what is seen in more modern HUDs (i.e. your AoA indicator says about 4 degrees, so count down eight lines and put that one on the numbers of the runway). Do that to keep yourself aimed at the right spot, and keep your glideslope and airspeed on target, and you should grease it in every time.

Also don't be afraid to use a little runway for a flare in ground effect to kill your vertical descent rate. The 21 stops real fast once you're on the ground and idle your engine, even without parachute or brakes.

I mostly fly the F-18, and mostly as a flight sim rather than a combat sim.

Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1080, 16gb DDR4 3600, Valve Index

TM Stick/Throttle, Saitek Pedals, VAICOM

Look at this landing!

The runway (LDVA Varazdin - Croatia) does not meet the conditions for landing such fast aircraft - neither by lenght, neither by approach and, at the time, was used for sport aircraft. But that is pilot's hometown and he wanted to land in front of his citizens gathered at air show. I was there also (13 years old) and I was very excited! ;)

Make contact with the runway at around 250-260 km/h, with vertical speed as low as possible, and AoA higher than 10 degrees (between 10 and 15). And of course, full tank of gas won't help! ;)

I wouldn't suggest touching down that slow. 340 kph is plenty slow enough to not risk damaging anything, and at 250 kph it'll be much harder to see the runway around your nose. Assuming you keep your vertical velocity under control when you touch down, your gear will easily handle anything under like 400 kph without an issue, so it's better to get close to that to lower your AoA keep your visibility in case there's obstructions on the runway.

I mostly fly the F-18, and mostly as a flight sim rather than a combat sim.

Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1080, 16gb DDR4 3600, Valve Index

TM Stick/Throttle, Saitek Pedals, VAICOM

@Ohgr

Nice landing, but still not perfectly smooth like I would like to achive (but never do :)). What was you vertical speed?

My usual landing is at about 300-320 kmh, 1m/s. I'm trying to reduce my speed but it seems I'm always too heavy. :D

The problem of keeping the nose up after touch down is in vertical speed.

If you touch down on main gear with considerable vertical speed, nose of the aircraft at given AOA will still have that vertical speed in it and will slam front gear down.

If you touch down verry verry gently you hold the nose up without problems.

Here's my progress after one month of DCS. It's not perfect, but this is what my acceptable landings are at right now. I've had some that were much smoother than this, but this represents the minimum of what I can pull off 95% of the time now.

Edited by FeistyLemur