NDB Audio / VOR Issue

Avio

Have been trying hard to tune in to a NDB station but with the analog read-out it is hard to tell if I got the right station. Also the audio volume is too soft to make out the morse code, even though the gain has been maxed out. And even if I could hear it somewhat, most time it didn't seem to be tuned to the right morse code. Is there an easier way ?

As for the VOR, no matter how I tune the frequency it just didn't seem to receive anything.

I was trying these out at Kutasi. Any advice most appreciated.

Now I could finally get them tuned correctly after trying at Batumi. However the tuning for NDB seems always to have to intentionally tune beyond the actual frequency on the dial. Example at Batumi NDB is 433 but from the pilot's seat it looks like one has to tune it to nearly 500 before getting the correct station. Trying to set to 433 gets a wrong station that points elsewhere.

You are absolutely right. I was under the impression that it is the viewing angle on the dial itself that makes it look like it is tuned to a higher frequency. I was finding that 477 (Kutaisi?) was spot on 500. I haven't tried repositioning my view to look directly down on the ADF console but maybe a snap view set up might help? Finicky to tune, that is for sure!

Yep I thought it could be parallax error, but from the pilot seat, any such error should show up as SMALLER value, NOT bigger! Something didn't seem right here ..... And the hard-to-decode morse code just didn't help identify whether the right station is tuned in.

I find this the same and indeed harder for the Sabre, as many of the stations seem to be almost on top of each other when you turn the dial. I'm convinced that you can hear more than one morse audio signal for the same dial location. Insufficient adjacent channel rejection seems to be the problem. I hope they can fix it up.

• 1 year later...