Max Throttle?

nickexists

I was flying online today when suddenly out of nowhere my left engine went out, I think random failures may have been on. I jettisoned stores, set throttle to the highest position and maintained a speed of 110-150. But I still wasn't able to maintain level flight. I was under the impression that setting max throttle the engines would run at their max, but instead my remaining enegine was still operating at 80% or 90% if i went to max collective is that right?

Full Collective doesnt mean that one engine in full throttle will keep Rotor rpms up.

The Blade angles are simply to high. You have to check the Engines Max.Torque (the Indicator lights on Overheadpanel).

Max Throttle = Indicator lights.

Max Collective = Max Throttle + Max Bladeangle .

Edited by Isegrim

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

I'm not really familiar with it, but you could try turning off the governors. Maybe that will let you use all the engine power, but I don't really know its impact in the KA-50 since I'm more of a Huey pilot where it does exactly that. I use it for high mountain flights for example. But you need to be careful with then.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Had the same issue two days ago. My right engine died out of nowhere. I was in the middle of an engagement so I headed away, fired up the APU and was able to restart the engine (multiple times). As soon as the engine hit max torque it stalled again. Behaviour after repair was the same...

My right engine died out of nowhere. I was in the middle of an engagement so I headed away, fired up the APU and was able to restart the engine (multiple times). As soon as the engine hit max torque it stalled again.

Thats exactly what happened with me. It was a pretty long flight and I was at max torque for most of the time, maybe they implemented a possibility to burn the engines out in this most recent patch.

I recognize that the engines can't achieve max RPM with full collective, but in emergency throttle shouldn't they go to max RPM when they are able to? When I reduced the collective a little the engine RPM would just settle down to 80% like it normally does. I thought the whole idea of the max throttle setting was that it ignored the governor for emergencies.

Have you tried to disable the governors? Maybe that will let you use max power.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

In most cases you can fly back home with 1 engine if you drop all arms and maintain a minimum airspeed of around 80-100km/h. You can actually still climb with adding pitch if you do it right. You must avoid overloading the disc or the rotor will loose too much rpm/energy/lift and you will drop out of the sky like a drop of rain. Maintaining your airspeed is the #1 goal, hovering is no good idea unless for settling down on the home plate.

I do not know if hydraulic gear damage in addition can cause more friction and thus the 1 remaining engine may not be enough to keep the rpm high enough to produce lift. That would explain why you dropped despite being at a good forward speed providing enough additional lift.

An engine that won't repair is either a bug or a mishap with switches and knobs that you accidentally hit but were unaware of it. Like a mistyped letter on the keyboard etc ...

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hey,

I think I know what you mean and this effect seems to be NEW.

My Ka had the same issues last night on 104th Server, it was a nightmare, either 104th had random failures on or the Ka has a NEW severe problem.

Things I noticed in like 3h flight:

- Repair fixes the HuD but your engines afterwards often will only deliver 82% max thrust

- Engine stall out of hover mode with only modest load ( 12 Vikhrs, not more )

You cannot successfully restart that engine, it will quit on you

- Sometimes, #2 also fails shortly after taking down rather fast

- You cannot repair the engines in either case, they stay at mx 82-83% when full throttle, forcing

your rotor RPM to drop very fast whenever you try to pull collective.

Just in case this is needed, I did not overload the engines before aka fly in the red zone of the Governour for many minutes. That should not be the reason why the engines died.

I gotta ask someone from 104th if that is scripted or not.

Let's hope it's a bad meant joke from 104th scripting guys.

and yes, the track is way too big, I will redo a thing tonight when time allows and upload if I can reproduce. Maybe we have some feedback till then from others.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

dont over torque and mind the ourside temperature, keep the throttle on auto, unless you lose an engine.

I've only had my engine go out when ive had the turbine over RPM lights shine for way too long, or not putting engine anti ice on.

Have you tried to disable the governors? Maybe that will let you use max power.

Disabling governors is really a bad idea. The governors area not preventing you to use max power, they are preventing you to overspeed the engines. If you turn them off while at max collective you'll overspeed your engines and ruin them within a minute.

I was flying online today when suddenly out of nowhere my left engine went out

How high were you flying? Couldn't it be icing?

• ED Team

To sum up and reinforce some of the above info...

Possible causes of engine shutting down in flight:

1) Icing (check the outside air temp on the gauge in the roof of the cockpit)

2) Random failures selected in either the mission file, or your own gameplay option settings.

3) I've never personally seen it happen, but if the conditions are right, not having the fuel boost pumps on might cause a slight or momentary starvation of the fuel supply. Fwd fuel tank feeds left engine, Aft fuel tank feeds right engine, unless crossfeed is on of course :)

*Maybe the mechanic misplaced a wrench before closing the engine cowling...you don't owe him money do you?

Factors that affect level flight on single-engine power:

1) Airspeed; max rate of climb airspeed for the Ka-50 is normally 120-130kmh (depending on environmental factors)

2) Air density; altitude and temperature affect this so if you're high and hot enough, you won't have thick enough air to stay aloft

3) Weight; even if you jettison wing stores, you still might have a lot of fuel and 30mm ammo on board.

Like Winz said, the governors prevent overspeeding or overtemping the engines, even a momentary deactivation will cause more harm than good. However, hydraulics loss won't affect rotor RPMs.

You can easily bleed the rotor RPM's under dual engine power if you pull in enough collective under certain conditions. So if you only have one engine's worth of thrust keeping the rotors spinning, bleeding the rotor will be MUCH easier. If you see the amber engine limit lights on the overhead panel lit up, that's all the power you're going to get. Any more collective increase will cause a drop in rotor RPM's.

Rotor blade RPM's provide more total lift than blade pitch angle. Or another way to put it, lower airfoil velocity has more negative impact on lift than lower angle-of-attack. Keep those rotors spinning as fast as you can, sometimes all you can do is reduce your rate of descent long enough to make it back to a friendly area. Level flight is never guaranteed.

Edited by Raptor9

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

I was also on the the 104th when this happened, must be random failure. Pretty sure it wasn't icing, I never got an ekran warning, and it wasn't cold out, and I wasn't low.

The main thing that I was wondering about is that the max throttle setting doesn't seem to do anything.

• ED Team

If I remember correctly (ie I forget where the reference is) the Max setting just allows the engine to run hotter to give more power in a single-engine profile. If the engine is already spinning at max RPM, however, than the additional EGT margin won't matter.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

I was also on the the 104th when this happened, must be random failure. Pretty sure it wasn't icing, I never got an ekran warning, and it wasn't cold out, and I wasn't low.

The main thing that I was wondering about is that the max throttle setting doesn't seem to do anything.

Same applies to me, 104th server, no cold conditions, roughly 200m ASL, light packed chopper, dual engine stall in a matter of minutes.... can only be random failure, it never ever happened like this before.

Not that I disliked it, if it is random failure its ok.

What I think is not normal is that you cannot repair the engines that failed ( if only 1 died and you make it back to home plate ).

Anyway, having the HuD fixed is a mile stone towards a reusable Ka, good for 50 targets +

Bit

When looking at the achieved kills and points, there is a clear need to slow down the Kamov to NOT make all those points the mission has to offer. The only AC that can almost achieve the same number of kills in a given time is the Su-25T. The A-10C is a good ground pounder, but vs. the Ka and Su it lacks a bit behind in making numbers, as the stats usually tell when looking at them.

No wonder they gave a lil' show stopper to the Kamov so others have some targets too :)

Could it be like this on 104th ?

• ED Team
When looking at the achieved kills and points, there is a clear need to slow down the Kamov to NOT make all those points the mission has to offer. The only AC that can almost achieve the same number of kills in a given time is the Su-25T. The A-10C is a good ground pounder, but vs. the Ka and Su it lacks a bit behind in making numbers, as the stats usually tell when looking at them.

No wonder they gave a lil' show stopper to the Kamov so others have some targets too :)

I agree with that analysis :lol:

DCS Rotor-Head