Your Favourite - Huey or Ka-50 ?

Avio

Couldn't help but ask this question -- What is your favourite, Huey or Ka-50?

I have both and like them a lot, and sometimes can't decide which I like better. I like the Ka-50 complexity, and lethality at long range, but while flying it is supposed to be easier, sometimes it feels like fighting against the computer (flight director ON). Example -- doing level turn seems quite a challenge.

Whereas the Huey, while feels rather slippery at first, is actually a pretty awesome machine to fly in. At least level turn feels just that -- Level ! Control feels more precise, other than wobbly stability sensitivity. And of course, that awesome, awesome sound of rotor chopping through the air. Feels a lot more alive !

What do you think?

• ED Team

two very different birds doing very different roles.

Personally, I like the UH-1H more :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I like better. I like the Ka-50 complexity, and lethality at long range, but while flying it is supposed to be easier, sometimes it feels like fighting against the computer (flight director ON). Example -- doing level turn seems quite a challenge.

What do you think?

Do you trim your KA-50 ? if yes, you'd better say you are fighting against your trim :)

your example : When doing a level turn, I press the trim button and don't realease it until the turn is complete and the helicopter on his new vector. No fight then ;)

But to answer you, i love both helicoptere, i chose wich i take depending on the mission, but as radio homing is broken in the huey, we can't do a lot of CSAR actualy... so our missions are principaly ground attack --> KA-50.

Edited by Lib

I loved the KA50 when it first came out but lack of use means I forget most of the systems.

I prefered the Mi-8 over the huey but after 100+ hours in the hip I went back to flying the huey and it is now flown almost exclusively.

The MIG is wonderful but I need some quiet time to learn all the systems properly and the Hawk will be with us soon so thats another one to learn. and I have the sabre which is neglected.

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For me... It depends... Huey is a pure helicopter. It's different world to me, and I like to fly it all the time.

But in combat scenarios Ka-50 rules! :D

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Huey.

A simpler machine without active stabilization, really versatile and a very good trainer.

| CPU: Intel I7 4820K@3.9GHz | GPU: ASUS GTX780 | MOBO: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme

| RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @1600 | PSU: Coolermaster v850 | OS: Windows7 x86_64|

Thrustmaster Warthog; OE-XAM collective; CH Pedals; CH control panel.

This... :smilewink:

Flying the Huey... just you and the machine :joystick:

old+time+race+car+driver.jpg

Flying the Black Shark... you must explain to the autopilot where you want to go :D

The-Robot-Driven-Car.JPG

...but both are fun to fly, both of them in its personal way :thumbup:

They are different designs for different propose but if I have to choose only one I will go for Ka-50 without hesitation. Rather than the slippery UH-1H the Ka-50 really give you a feel that you are actually "flying" this helo, not to mention the much more power out put. And the sweet automatic trim together with the autopilot just make it so easier to fly.

Yes just like Lib said, hold the trim button and release the SAS output when you don't need it and you can get along with the trim just fine :)

I'd love to fly the Mi-8 for same reasons though but seems like there are only two chooses here...

Edited by Eagle0110

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aircraft I have thoroughly studied: A-10C, Ka-50, Mig-21bis, UH-1H, Boeing 737-800/900, Dash-8Q400, Bell-407

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

i7-8750H@2.2GHz 6 Cores turbo up to 4.1GHz, GTX1070 Max-Q@8GB GRAM, 16G RAM, 512G SSD, 500G SSD, CH Product Fighter Stick, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5.

• 2 months later...

I only fly helos, and find all of them to be exciting in their own way.

UH1H - Simple, fun, effective machine to skirt around in the dirt (with plenty of practice)

Mi8 - A more beastly machine that requires some loving guidance but will perform great in any mission you throw at it

Ka50 - Like getting chauffeured around while shooting at things that shoot back

Each bird has it's pros and cons.

If I'm in the mood for some stealth attacks, I'll do some pop up and run style runs with the KA50.

However, if I'm in the mood for just doing some good old fashioned flying, particularly on the VA server, then it's the Huey all the way.

I've yet to find the Mi8 calling me, at least not like the other two.

Out of all three, I'd say the Huey holds the spot closest to my heart. A decent western attack chopper might change that though, especially if it has mutlicrew...

Smirkza

Cheers,

Smirkza

BOTH!

If I feel like flying around and practicing real helicopter flight that is the most similar to 99% of all helicopters in the real world then I fly the Huey..

If I want to fly a more advanced helicopter with high tech gadgets and systems I fire up the Shark..

They are both excellent modules and fill rather different niches...

Neither is a favorite for me, just depends on my mood..

:thumbup:

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO