This tool might be of use (for v-sync issues)

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

yea, i use it, but its still useless for dx/d3d games, ive tried to force it on with sli for dx/d3d games and it dont do shiat.

still, its a decent lil program

I went ahead and tried it out. It seems to me that I do get about a 10 or so frames better average while using this. I need to do more testing on different games. I suspect what system you have and graphics card could make a difference.

Athlon XP 3100 1gb ram

Geforce 6800GT 256mb ram

X-45

Althlon X2 6400+ 3.2 ghz

EVGA 8800GT SC - 512mb

X-45

MOMO pedals

Lol. No need to use that app.

You can create a LOCKON profile in your graphics card drivers, and enforce V-SYNC: ON, and TRIPPLE BUFFERING: ON.

I've been doing this for ages.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

You can create a LOCKON profile in your graphics card drivers, and enforce V-SYNC: ON, and TRIPPLE BUFFERING: ON.

...great, now he tells me:rolleyes:

So did you notive any improvements when you first did that?

Althlon X2 6400+ 3.2 ghz

EVGA 8800GT SC - 512mb

X-45

MOMO pedals

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

vsync and triple buffering only works with opengl games, with directx/d3d games, there is NO triple buffering, even if you force it on via the nvidia control panel, dxtweaker can force triple buffering for some directx games, but nvidia control panel CANNOT.

e.g.

with vsync and triple buffering on

opengl refresh rate of 100hz, and game fps of 99 = 99fps

now since directx / d3d games HAVENT got triple buffering this is what happens

refresh rate 100hz, game fps 99 = auto cut down to 80 or thereabouts, as without triple buffering, vsync works in quarters or thereabouts. so even if you can get 99fps, the game is auto cut to the next lowest quarter or fifth. In order to keep yourself from being autocut, you need to keep your FPS at the same level as your refresh rate, so that would be 100hz = 100fps all the time, if you drop 1fps to 99fps then you drop from the original 100fps to around about 80fps with the way vsync works without triple buffering being turned on. NO direct X games /d3d games can have TB forced on them with nvidia control panel, TB only works with opengl games unless you use dxtweaker.

so with direct x and d3d games, with vsync on, you are actually loseing fps.

dxtweaker can do things nvidia control panel cannot, so your triple buffering ISNT working even tho you have it forced on in the nvidia control panel.

thats probably why mikoriad got an increase in fps, as dxtweaker was forcing TB on and he wasnt being auto cut to the next lowest quarter or so...

it DOESNT work for sli tho :(

Conclusion.

So what you have been doing for ages Sham, infact is hurting your fps and ISNT working, the vsync is working, but the TB just WONT work....

but saying that, I would rather lose the odd fps to stop me from getting tearing and shearing due to not having vsync on.

After seeing the replies here and more seat of the pants testing, I'm definitely getting smoother gaming and a higher fps using this app. You're correct, I'm getting lower frames and a noticeably choppier experience using only the force options in the Nvidia control panel. Guess I missed the part about those not working for d3d games. Anyways, great post, and it works for me :)

Althlon X2 6400+ 3.2 ghz

EVGA 8800GT SC - 512mb

X-45

MOMO pedals

Ok. Evil.

Though I cannot agree with you. I had image tearing without V-SYNC.

When I forced V-SYNC on, I got rid of image tearing in high FPS areas, but still had tearing in low fps aread. After I added tripple buffering to this image tearing dissapeared totally. Buy I ticket to Poland, and I'll prove it to you :) Beers and green leaves will be waiting :)

Same behaviour in America's Army. And it is not placebo. I actually learned after what Tripple Buffering is, and that it works only when V-sync is on. Otherwise there's no diffrence.

Works both in DX and OpenGL

Edit:

It's up to game's engine if it supports tripple buffering or not. DirectX does support tripple buffering alone.

Anyway V-sync is useless without Tripple Buffering. These should be welded together.

tail# 44 or 444

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

you dont need to believe me sham, just google nvidia triple buffering for direct x, and you will see, it dont work with nvidia cards :(

even nvidia says that, TB only works if it detects an opengl game/exe....

I agree, TB is only to be used with vysnc on, but the TB button in nvidia control panel, will not force it on during dx games, ask nvidia.

I think it is diffirent with ati cards, i am not 100% sure on that, but i think with ati, its like having dxtweaker built in, and it can force it on.... not really sure tho.

i cannot afford the ticket over to poland, but you could always send the green leaves over to my pad ;) :p

Okey, I googled and found out totally diffrent information.

Anyway VSYNC+TrippleBuffering removes tearing totally for me while VSYNC alone doesn't.

The truth is out there :icon_weed

tail# 44 or 444

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

am not saying dx doesnt support it, all i am saying that it isnt supported by nvidia.

as you say, in order for dx/d3d games to have TB, is for the game to support it withing the game, but the TB buffering button in nvidia CP, is only for opengl games.

for ati cards.. that's only for OpenGL games.....

there is no triple buffering option for directX api with ati.

Thanks,

Brett

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

this is what i get from nvidia

If Vertical Synchronisation (VSync) is enabled, the rendering of the frames is synchronised with the monitor, avoiding horizontal tearing effects. The disadvantage is, that the framerate is limited to your monitor's refresh rate.

This selection forces VSync on, avoiding any tearing effects. The framerate will be limited to the refresh rate of your monitor. If the game doesn't have a Triple-Buffer option, the framerate can only change between whole-numbered fractions of the refresh rate (e.g. 60, 30, 20, 15... fps in case of a 60Hz monitor).

and

If Vertical Synchronisation (VSync) is enabled, the rendering of the frames is synchronised with the monitor, avoiding horizontal tearing effects. The disadvantage is, that the framerate is limited to your monitor's refresh rate.

If the game doesn't use a triple buffer while VSync is used, the frame rate might drop noticeable during the gameplay. To avoid this, you can force a triple buffer for OpenGL games with this option.

It's not possible to force a triple buffer for Direct3D games, though. In Direct3D, games have to enable a triple buffer by themselves. Check the game options for this. Some games might even use a triple buffer by default.

After seeing the replies here and more seat of the pants testing, I'm definitely getting smoother gaming and a higher fps using this app. You're correct, I'm getting lower frames and a noticeably choppier experience using only the force options in the Nvidia control panel. Guess I missed the part about those not working for d3d games. Anyways, great post, and it works for me :)

Just wanna add something. If you wanna get perfect smooth gameplay with FPS unchanged due to hard drive operation get an extra GIG of RAM.

After playing in the 169th server last weekend and speaking with their menbers about this I went crazy and bought another 1GIG module and installed it.

All I can say now is WOW!

I mean I cant complain about the perfomance I had earlier specialy with the tweaks donne with 1.12, but now its silk smooth. I can alt TAB the game as easely as I do with explorer and revamp the FPS after 2 hours of gameplay.

YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH THIS. It costs a bit of money but I bet it works better than buying a GFX card! For LOMAC that is.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

for ati cards.. that's only for OpenGL games.....

there is no triple buffering option for directX api with ati.

There is a way around that for ATI cards. Use ATI Tray Tool instead of the Control Panel or Catalyst Control Panel. Define a profile for Flaming Cliffs and force triple buffering with V-Sych.

TripleBuffer.jpg

When I look up at the sky, I could get 100+ fps, that is more than the refresh rate (85 Hz) of my CRT.

You can get ATI Tray Tool here

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

ASUS Sabertooth X79

4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix VLP PC3-12800

ASUS Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti 8 Gb

Seasonic Platinum 860W

Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt

CH Products PT/TQ/MFP

Slaw Pedals

TrackIR 5

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

yea, i mentioned something like that in a previous post, i had heard ppl speaking about it, but i wasnt too sure, but for nvidia, it is totally absent, there TB is only for opengl.

• 1 year later...