The mighty eight HBO

ponhard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro - Asus Z370 Prime A - i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz - 32 GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX 1080 - Oculus Rift CV1 - HOTAS Warthog - CH Pro Pedals

Puukko - Kossu - HK Sininen Lenkki

I am definitely looking forward to this! I really enjoyed Donald miller's book masters of the air. I can only imagine what this production will be like.

Edited by Whiplash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

Dogs of War Dedicated WWII Server Thread

I found Pacific to be rather bad when compared to Band of Brothers. Perhaps it was the subject matter. Or perhaps it was John Seda and a few of the other "nobody, usually play bit parts" actors. Just didn't make good viewing for me. I have watched it once and once only. I keep going back and re-watching Band of Brothers.

A similar miniseries focusing on the 8th Air Force does sound interesting though. Just hope it's better than HBO's Tuskegee Airmen film with Larry Fishburne, lets hope that $500m isn't/wasn't wasted...

Thought that way about The Pacific too when I watched the show for the first time.

Have watched it several times by now and I see it from a different perspective - like it much more than in the beginning and for me at least it´s on the same level as BoB if not a bit higher.

In my opinion you can´t really compare BoB with The Pacific as either one of them has a different focus.

you are right

pacific was super bad compared to BoB :P

Agreed. Lets hope they didn't waste all that money showing unrealistic flight models, tactics and in particular bomber formations (worst example being Red Tails).

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

Trailer can be viewed

Oh God. :doh:

A glimpse of hope in one of the comments:

This is a "teaser trailer" that was shopped around to studio's in order to get someone interested in making the movie. It is not a trailer for the actual movie, which has not even been produced yet.

Edited by T}{OR

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

Band of Brothers was awesome.... It followed Easy Company and you got to know each individual and see their brotherhood grow as they went through all the turmoils of fighting a large, organized enemy.

The Pacific is every bit as good... It just takes a bit to get used to. The characters get circulated a lot as the marines did that a lot... The terrain was different from island to island... And the enemy used guerrilla tactics... All these contribute to The Pacific feeling like it had continuity problems... It's hard to really watch a bond grow like BoB was able to show. You also couldn't see men using tactics to over come a unified enemy like in BoB... It was mostly take hits and fire back.

They did a great job of showing how The Pacific was a completely different war... They emphasized this with the scene where the amphibious troop carriers breach the beach head... Drop the doors... And nothing happens.... This isn't another Normandy... It's up and personal.

That being said I can't wait for this new one. I think it's based on the book called "Masters of The Air." I hope it's better than that Red Tails fiasco... I'm sure it will be better.. Hope they shed some light on how successful the P-47 was in the early days of the bombing raids.

That being said I can't wait for this new one. I think it's based on the book called "Masters of The Air." I hope it's better than that Red Tails fiasco... I'm sure it will be better.. Hope they shed some light on how successful the P-47 was in the early days of the bombing raids.

It is suppose to be based off Masters of the Air. The book was really great but I wonder what kind of roll it will take in this movie. It did not follow just one squadron in the 8th Air force. Instead it really does a good job of depicting the relationships between the commanders. There is a lot of dialog between Hap Arnold and Spaatz as they develop a strategic bombing campaign. So if the mini series is truly going to be based off the book you might expect to see more scenes between the top brass of the newly minted 8th instead of a growing bond between brothers in arms like you did in BoB. Either way I'm sure it will be a great series, and I can not wait to see it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

Dogs of War Dedicated WWII Server Thread

• 4 weeks later...

This should be good. I liked both BoB's and the Pacific. I think both did a very good job of giving a very very small insight into what it must of been like being in those respective theaters of war. Although the same war, two very distinctive theaters; I think this was brought out pretty well in both mini-series. Looking forward to how they do with the air element as it pertains to the European theater. I hope they do one focused on the pacific air campagn as well. However, with the victory at Midway early on and the advent of the F-6f(hellcat) and F4U(corsair) in the war, the US was finally able to counter the superiourity of the A6M(zero), gain superiority in the pacific skies, and enable marine advancement through the south pacific, which I think was covered pretty well in the Pacific mini-series.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

• 3 weeks later...
I was trying to find a bit more information on this series but came up with nothing. Seems the trailer is a demo to get studios interested. Did anybody come across any information to suggest its actually in production?

It is a goer.

http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/Tom-Hanks-Steven-Spielberg-heading-Manston/story-23027074-detail/story.html

http://reelbrief.com/?p=1144

Apparently it's still in the early pre production stage. Researchers have been interviewing some of the remaining veterans. Don't expect it to air before 2016, more likely 2017.