[REPORTED] aircraft visibilty-LOD system

9.JG27 DavidRed

It would be really nice if servers could set their own visibility distances, which are enforced on their clients.

This issue is what put me (and plenty more I assume) off CLoD. Servers (or even missions?) need the ability to adjust visibilty to a level which doesn't cause too many people to get bored and not fly online.

The box shape LOD being invisible from underneath is fixed internally already, but I don't know when it will be brought into public release, so just hold on, fix is on its way

please dont tell me that they still want to use that lod box even with fixed polygon...i bet its still green? :)

with now the 109 and the fact that this aircraft is not using the lod box anymore, there is absolutely no reason at all to have any other aircraft use that box.

thats the Bf-109K-4_lod6.EDM file, the least detailed lod model of the 109:

attachment.php?attachmentid=109818&stc=1&d=1419070277

better just use that for all single engine prop aircraft....and finally get rid off that stupid box even if fixed.

to make the other aircraft use that lod model is a job of not even 1 minute see here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2264647&postcount=7

in fact i already did that job, so its only a matter of the devs either changing two lines in two files, or just download the little mod i made and put it into the next patch.such a little and easy fix, yet so important.

1829688780_Screenshot2014-12-2011_07_58.thumb.png.c951df7763324cfcf36d33e87ebf3bda.png

Edited by 9./JG27 DavidRed

It would be really nice if servers could set their own visibility distances, which are enforced on their clients.

This issue is what put me (and plenty more I assume) off CLoD. Servers (or even missions?) need the ability to adjust visibilty to a level which doesn't cause too many people to get bored and not fly online.

in a way this is possible with the integrity check...but then all clients would need to install the server's mod to be able to join

please dont tell me that they still want to use that lod box even with fixed polygon...i bet its still green? :)

with now the 109 and the fact that this aircraft is not using the lod box anymore, there is absolutely no reason at all to have any other aircraft use that box.

better just use that for all single engine prop aircraft....and finally get rid off that stupid box even if fixed.

enough for what we need : +1000:thumbup:

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

to make the other aircraft use that lod model is a job of not even 1 minute see here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2264647&postcount=7

in fact i already did that job, so its only a matter of the devs either changing two lines in two files, or just download the little mod i made and put it into the next patch.such a little and easy fix, yet so important.

+1, giving all ww2 planes that LOD should really be no hassle... But at least the box is fixed.

Callsign "Lion"

EDIT : wrong post

Edited by airdoc

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

• 2 months later...

The problem is still there. I filmed this in the latest version.

The two disappearing aircraft's are a Tu-95 and a Mig-21. They started to disappear as I was zooming in, don't know if that's relevant.

Edited by Tomtekopf

• ED Team
The problem is still there. I filmed this in the latest version.

The two disappearing aircraft's are a Tu-95 and a Mig-21. They started to disappear as I was zooming in, don't know if that's relevant.

In the case of the MiG 21 you should post about it in the Leatherneck section to make sure they are aware of it.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Tomtekopf, that video you posted looks like a self-shadowing effect is being turned off as the target aircraft flies away from you.

IMO this not as serious of a problem as a broken LOD object but it is still worth looking at.

It would be interesting to know how the logic of when to apply self-shadowing works. Is it connected to LODS or is it a hard coded.

I first noticed self-shadowing on ground objects turning off at very short distances ~50m away which frankly looks terrible.

On aircraft it looks like self-shadowing is tuned to be active at greater distances.

I've seen the same phenomenon with P-51Ds and F-15Cs.

You loose visibility within a certain zooming in value and regain it if you zoom out.

Sadly A2A visibility remains the main problem and deterrent when it comes to DCS.

No other flight sim can come close to the flight models and quality of aircrafts (inside and out) of DCS.

Sadly...most (if not all) solve A2A visibility in a usable way.

It's not fun flying in an A2A environment while 90% of your time you can't see squat....

jgVplRQ.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...