Why is the MIG 21 bis Cheaper on Steam?

Trubshaw

I want to buy the MIG to support DCS and it's Third parties. But according to what I can see from the DCS website you pay $49.99, yet on Steam it is £26.99?

Why would you buy from the DCS website when it is so much cheaper on Steam?

..any thoughts?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TrubshawRN -=SHREK 94=-

I want to buy the MIG to support DCS and it's Third parties. But according to what I can see from the DCS website you pay $49.99, yet on Steam it is £26.99?

..any thoughts?

Your question's a bit misleading because you're using two different units (US dollars versus British pounds).

The actual difference is $49.99 (ED store) to about $43.50 (Steam).

That said, I have no idea where the disparity is actually coming from.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

Didn't they offer an early bird discount for the the ED store release, via a pre-release promotion? Perhaps this is the Steam equivalent, i.e. giving Steam users a short period to have a chance to get it for a discount.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Didn't they offer an early bird discount for the the ED store release, via a pre-release promotion? Perhaps this is the Steam equivalent, i.e. giving Steam users a short period to have a chance to get it for a discount.

Correctomundo. I paid $44ish from ED pre-release

it released on steam yesterday.when you pre-order on ed's e-shop you also get 10%off on the MiG-21.

they only do the same on steam store.

Actually, Steam usually has this -10% immediately AFTER release to promote it.

There are pre-purchase discounts in Steam also but in this case it was not available for pre-purchase from Steam.

So it pretty much evens out.

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

OP claims to be buying the module to support 3rd party and DCS

Then finds the cheapest distrubutor of the module and gripes that it is not cheaper on DCS website

support of the 3rd parties and DCS?

Hard decision to do now for me.

Steam version is 41,39€

ED store version is 39,95€

For price difference it is nothing, but I like to have all in Steam side. But now when I can't use same key to activate on either side, I am in trouble to make decision as I have almost all (missing WW2 modules) but on both (activated both platforms, bought few modules from both).

So when now on in future I need to pick either one, this module would be the ruling one, which one to jump....

Only reason to hold now is how does ED/3rd parties make their super sales? Simultaneous or randomly on either one?

As friends are using a lot of standalone version but few of us use steam version.

This sale now looks promising that in future we could get same level prices from either ones almost same time, what is important to us.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

from my experance and my friends experance, the steam verson is terible. and that its better to use the non steam verson to play, update and activate. so I would recomend to do that instead of buying it on steam, also while I am not sure if there is a ed ln proffit split, or how much if there is, I also know that steam will take about 25% of the income off the top so it would be better to buy from the ed shop if you do want to support leatherneck.

from my experance and my friends experance, the steam verson is terible. and that its better to use the non steam verson to play, update and activate. so I would recomend to do that instead of buying it on steam, also while I am not sure if there is a ed ln proffit split, or how much if there is, I also know that steam will take about 25% of the income off the top so it would be better to buy from the ed shop if you do want to support leatherneck.

I have not experienced problems from steam version, but I don't use mods or other fancy things.

But what I know is that Valve cut from sales isn't known, it is information under NDA and not even publishers are allowed to talk about amount of sales (sold units).

~25% sounds very high, and I would have guessed more like a 10-15% at max.

The steam benefits are that all games can be installed on external drive and move it with you and there is no hassle with updates or activations (expect with DCS uses DRM). What place DCS in backward position as it is so limited to be used fairly. But it is easy just avoid starting the DCS on other computers. Main problem just is timing of sales between steam and ED store.

I have not experienced problems from steam version, but I don't use mods or other fancy things.

But what I know is that Valve cut from sales isn't known, it is information under NDA and not even publishers are allowed to talk about amount of sales (sold units).

~25% sounds very high, and I would have guessed more like a 10-15% at max.

The steam benefits are that all games can be installed on external drive and move it with you and there is no hassle with updates or activations (expect with DCS uses DRM). What place DCS in backward position as it is so limited to be used fairly. But it is easy just avoid starting the DCS on other computers. Main problem just is timing of sales between steam and ED store.

there have been developers who have stated that the most fair for dev cut that steam takes is 25%

also, both myself and all of my friends have had problems installing any extra aircrafts to the steam verson, over all the best expearnace I have gotten with dcs has been with the standalone, and besides, if someone really wants to support letherneck, why would you buy it in a place where they get less money. anyway, I am just saying, steam is great for many things, but not everything.

there have been developers who have stated that the most fair for dev cut that steam takes is 25%

also, both myself and all of my friends have had problems installing any extra aircrafts to the steam verson, over all the best expearnace I have gotten with dcs has been with the standalone, and besides, if someone really wants to support letherneck, why would you buy it in a place where they get less money. anyway, I am just saying, steam is great for many things, but not everything.

Don't know how hard it is to install a new module on steam. You buy the module as it is sold as DLC and them steam will automatically download the module and give you the CD-key what you copy by pressing "copy key to clipboard" and then start DCS that ask the activation key and you just paste it and that's it.

And steam benefit is that it opens doors for very large audience and that is huge benefit.

Still can't believe for that 25% share and definitely it being the most fair (smallest).

Don't know how hard it is to install a new module on steam. You buy the module as it is sold as DLC and them steam will automatically download the module and give you the CD-key what you copy by pressing "copy key to clipboard" and then start DCS that ask the activation key and you just paste it and that's it.

And steam benefit is that it opens doors for very large audience and that is huge benefit.

Still can't believe for that 25% share and definitely it being the most fair (smallest).

the problem with steam is that you can only use steam for the base game and steam bought mods, which for me and other people who buy from the ed store is not acceptal. also it takes longer to patch and there are a number of soruces, even a video from totalbiscut the other day or two where they had an indy dev state that number. also there are some glitches in the steam verson as well which are really annoying and reduce stability. ether way, if your trying to support leather neck, remember that your ether paying ed and leatherneck, or your paying steam ed and leatherneck, so its very obivous which one is going to give the most to leatherneck.

the problem with steam is that you can only use steam for the base game and steam bought mods, which for me and other people who buy from the ed store is not acceptal. also it takes longer to patch and there are a number of soruces, even a video from totalbiscut the other day or two where they had an indy dev state that number. also there are some glitches in the steam verson as well which are really annoying and reduce stability. ether way, if your trying to support leather neck, remember that your ether paying ed and leatherneck, or your paying steam ed and leatherneck, so its very obivous which one is going to give the most to leatherneck.

If you want to draw the supporting claim, then sure you have donated more money to them, without being even modules?

You don't need to buy modules to support them, right?

The supporting can always be done separately donating to them, no need to then buy from ED because of that.

The reasons to get to from steam or from ED is exactly as I have asked, how in future does the sales come? Now the updates comes in same day or next, that isn't a problem!

The question is how often to get the sales as when someone buys one module from ED, do their friends get hands on same modules at same time from sale at steam?

If sales periods on ED and steam ain't synced, then it is the bad thing for steam users if such time period is so.

As well one thing what makes to wonder is how does the key syncing really need to be manual so Valve couldn't do it anymore? That is question what only devs knows why it is impossible to be automatic, to give same benefit as first there was and other titles can do it even today.

So please, not let the "supporting" to be a reason as it doesn't hold the merit.

If you want to draw the supporting claim, then sure you have donated more money to them, without being even modules?

You don't need to buy modules to support them, right?

The supporting can always be done separately donating to them, no need to then buy from ED because of that.

You could buy the 21 from Steam (for $45), and then somehow donate ($16.25) to LN/ED so that they get the same amount of money as a direct purchase. But all you would be really doing is donating ($11.25) to Steam. It doesn't make financial sense.

I do care about supporting the hobby, and as such it makes sense that as much of the purchase price as possible goes to those who make it.

By simply giving money to the makers of sim products also defeats the purpose as well. The point is that we, as a community, want our hobby to be healthy, with a variety of high quality products. That is what we need to reward, by buying the products, so that more products are made. Simply giving money to the fine folks at LN may be an act of kindness, but it won't be as meaningful toward the future of our hobby.

EDIT: Steam has a very valuable use for our community, which is to expose people who otherwise not be aware of these products. I am a Steam user, and like it very much in general, but decided to stay away from it as far as ED products were concerned.

Edited by Auger73

You could buy the 21 from Steam (for $45), and then somehow donate ($16.25) to LN/ED so that they get the same amount of money as a direct purchase. But all you would be really doing is donating ($11.25) to Steam. It doesn't make financial sense.

I do care about supporting the hobby, and as such it makes sense that as much of the purchase price as possible goes to those who make it.

By simply giving money to the makers of sim products also defeats the purpose as well. The point is that we, as a community, want our hobby to be healthy, with a variety of high quality products. That is what we need to reward, by buying the products, so that more products are made. Simply giving money to the fine folks at LN may be an act of kindness, but it won't be as meaningful toward the future of our hobby.

EDIT: Steam has a very valuable use for our community, which is to expose people who otherwise not be aware of these products. I am a Steam user, and like it very much in general, but decided to stay away from it as far as ED products were concerned.

So you are against all the business in the world, stock markets, investments to companies, products with negative profit and finally, intangible assets like software products.

You either want to support someone or you simply want something and you are ready to pay for it.

You shouldn't get something because you want to support someone.

So you are against all the business in the world, stock markets, investments to companies, products with negative profit and finally, intangible assets like software products.

You either want to support someone or you simply want something and you are ready to pay for it.

You shouldn't get something because you want to support someone.

The only part of software products I am against are software patents, which I think should be abolished.

And you are presenting a false dichotomy. I do want to support LN, and I do want (and did buy) the DCS: MiG-21. These are not mutually exclusive things.

I think you should support those who provide things you want. If you want LN to make more modules (and considering the financial health of our hobby - this isn't COD of BF), you should consider purchasing the 21. Especially if you feel it helps DCS go a direction you would like to see it go.

If LN decides it isn't worth it for them to make another module, they probably won't. And that might be taken as a warning sign to other potential 3rd party devs, who might decide it isn't worth it to try to put out a module for DCS.

On the other hand, if LN does well, it might provide additional interest for 3rd parties to develop for DCS, which would mean more potential modules. I bet you most 3rd parties are watching closely to see how things go down with LN and ED.

EDIT: Saying I am against all the business in the world is nonsensical, because I am advocating buying products to help specific businesses.

Edited by Auger73