Lateral guidance in Proceed mode?

Flamin_Squirrel

Squirrel, lets' start from the basics, 'cause for the love of God, I cannot understand what You meant in Your first post :D. Second one clears things up a bit, but not enough.

What do You mean by "proceed mode"? Is it RSBN navigation mode (using terminology from the manual)? If so, the longer needle on NPP does indeed point to the beacon, but since you might want to approach the beacon from precisely selected direction - along chosen radial, yellow bar on KPP (HSI) is used to guide You to this radial and later, to show you left/right deviation from the radial.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I know exactly what he is talking about. cloud pen mode. this mode is inteneded to help you decend to your target rsbn station and with in 20km be at 600m. however it will also not allow you to run into terrain features. in this mode, the adi will show a yellow bar that is set from the left side of it, this bar is the decent rate bar, and you will be trying to hold it in the center of the adi to keep your rate of decent at the safe speed. the adi will not show the flight director bar (the yellow bar that comes from the bottom) or any localizes (the bubbles on the top and left side) however the hsi will be able to show you the horizontal localizer in the ils display and will still show you both needles so that your able to navigate to your destination. however its intended for you to take a direct to path to your rsbn station and then once you get to your pattern altitude, navigate to the start of your pattern.

as an example, your 80km away from home base, at 15km alt, you switch to cloud pen mode (proceed) and trim your aircraft so you maintain 700kph air speed and the decent rate suggested by the adi, when it guides you to 600m alt or you get with in 20km, switch to nav and turn to line up on approach according to your hsi and if you want, then switch to pmng mode. thats how its intended to be used.

I think Kanami34 is correct. In cloud penetration mode the yellow bar for lateral nav on the KPP (attitude indicator) goes away, replaced by a yellow bar for vertical nav. That's how it's been working for me, which works just fine.

Once I've reached the RSBN station at 600m above, I turn to my landing heading and fly a big box pattern. It's great; it's so simple! I kind of wish we had instrument approaches here in the US that fly like that. It's a different way of doing it, which is fun! :)