FPS Drop withOUT cockpit lights bug

zaelu

Before Patch 3 it was a known bug when at the start of the mission the light knobs where turned to max or minimum.

When (at least) one of the light knobs was turned towards the maximum some people, including myself experienced a catastrophic FPS loss when battery switch was turned on. From 25-30FPS to 2FPS barely managing to move the mouse and close the mission. (Note that this happened only on cold started plane)

For me it was a rule. Not only the lights were bugged but they automatically had severe performance impact but only when the light knob was "blocked" to maximum not when it was blocked to minimum. (Note that my PC can handle the lighting system on DCS Mig21Bis pretty well)

Now with the patch 3 the light knobs bug seems fixed but not the FPS/performance problem.

So:

Sometimes when starting the mission I can see the light knobs in minimum position as always and as the light bug is fixed but in the second I turn on the battery switch the FPS plummets to 2.

This for me seems to be the following situation:

Before Patch 3 There was a problem that had 2 simultaneous manifestations:

1. light knob to max and

2. something else hidden from view.

When this random double problem appeared the performance was severely affected.

Now after Patch manifestation 1. was removed but the second remained hidden and with it the FPS problem appears immediately when I power on the electrics via battery switch.

Unfortunately... before when I saw the lightknob turned towards maximum I didn't even attempted to power up the plane... I was just reloading the mission. Now... is a gamble.

Anyone else have this?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

This might sound weird, but try turning down the texture settings in the options and see if it happens again. That kind of fps loss sounds like your video card may be running out of VRAM, the small amount of extra things that turn on with the battery might push it over the edge (and I see from your signature you have a 2GB GTX 660). Worth a shot?

This is not a solution. Please don't suggest is a problem with my PC when it is not. Devs might simply go over this bug because someone suggests such thing.

Please understand that most of the time the FPS is OK. The simulation works fine over 90%. But sometimes when I start the battery the PC suddenly freezes to 2 FPS and just like a feeling I don't think is the Videocard but the CPU that gets hogged.

However, if starting the battery fills my VRAM one time out of 20... is a bug.

Even if the VRAM gets filled suddenly when the battery is switched ON... say goes above 4GB of ram... this is not videocard or settings issue. Is just a bug.

PS

Today I managed to start the bug by repeatedly turning on and off the battery. I'll test more when I get back from work.

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Unfortunately, I can't provide you a solution, but I can only say that I have very low-end PC (barely runs DCS) and I don't have this problem. Maybe you should try turning down the texture settings for a moment, because it seems that some bugs manifests at higher settings so you could narrow down the problem.

I hope that you will figure it out soon because giving up on cold starts would be a shame.

Definitely a strange problem. I've a modest rig compared to yours and I can run this module quite well, even before this patch. I got 28-45 fps depending on my camera view. I really can't complain. My system specs: i5 2500 / P8P67 / 8GB Ram / GTX 560 2 GB / no SSD. I'm not at home so I can't tell you exactly what are my DCS graphic settings but that might be your problem. Are you running all max settings?

I tried multiple times today to redo it... I put rivatuner OSD and recorded with shaddowplay... o luck.. all went perfect :D

I'll try more to catch this little... gem :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I got "him" on video!

The FPS counter is somewhere in the middle of the top left rows of data.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have this exact same problem. I'm not sure what could be causing it, but so far I have only gotten this bug when playing multiplayer. Although due to the seemingly random nature of the bug, I couldn't say if it is exclusive to multiplayer games or not.

This is not a solution. Please don't suggest is a problem with my PC when it is not. Devs might simply go over this bug because someone suggests such thing.

No need to be rude, it was just a suggestion. :) I also notice in the on-screen data from the video that your video card is only reporting 1.5GB of VRAM (1546MB), which would be even easier to fill than 2GB especially with a ground texture mod.

Try running at low texture detail to see if the issue repeats. It would be a good test, and might help the devs narrow down what is causing this issue.

I know for a fact that the 21 cockpit on high settings is juuuust on the border of 2 gigs of VRAM usage. It's probably not that (but it's not trivial enough to warrant the kind of reply you got).

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

Hey, sorry if my reply sounded rude. It wasn't my intention. This is what happens when the words are just "text" .

I was just trying to avoid this bug being labeled as simple slow hardware problem. I was "too serious" then. :D

Regarding my cards memory... yes... it always reports around 1.5GB or ram... What I've understood is that 0.5GB of ram are addressed differently on this particular model and maybe that's the reason why I never see more no matter what. Probably the last 0.5 are not "read" by this kind of monitoring software.

From what I observed in the movie it seems that when this bug happens the most used core from CPU is No1 and usualy DCS uses No3 and No4... or at least in the movie when FPS dropped core No1 was around or above 70% and normally is very low.

Also... if it would be a VRAM problem why it would be triggered precisely by the battery switch? You saw that it can be turned on and off at will. (I don't know the key bind for battery switch so it took me a while to flip it in the movie).

When it was together with the lights bug... this bug could be linked to some VRAM problem as switching On the battery was also turning On the lights and maybe that increased the VRAM usage. However... now is not the case and also you can see that I have 30FPS with lights On while also recording.

I don't think that turning off the texture resolution would be a solution as it is very random and very rare... I really had to start the mission several times in a row yesterday to make it happen. Also... the movie stops but in that mission I took CA role and left the plane to AI... then turned back to it and found it started with lights on and no FPS bug.

However... I will try to put texture on low and do some test and maybe I catch it again :) .

Again. Sorry if I sounded rude earlier! :beer:

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, I don't think it's VRAM, but you never know. Maybe the lights were still doing something funny and invisible. But yeah, it's most probably some avionics going crazy, producing heavy CPU load. Weird that not everyone gets it, though; there has to be some system dependence too.

Edited by Corrigan

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

• 1 month later...

So I just got the module (Steam) and threw it in a testing grounds custom mission. Everything was going fine (there's a Ka-50, A-10 and a couple opfor AAA guns driving around the country side).

I added in a cold-start MiG-21 (blufor), no problems. I added a blufor AWACS to check out the RWR. No problems, still cold starting fine.

Then I added in an opfor AWACS and suddenly when I try a cold start, 1-2 FPS. If I set it to be already started, then it's fine. Deleted the opfor AWACS, no change, still 1-2 FPS.

And strangely enough, if I set the textures to medium, it's fine as well. I've got a 4GB video card and everything runs fine if the MiG is started on load in rather than a cold start.

It's got to be a bug, but that sure is a strange bug.

• 1 month later...
Before Patch 3 it was a known bug when at the start of the mission the light knobs where turned to max or minimum.

When (at least) one of the light knobs was turned towards the maximum some people, including myself experienced a catastrophic FPS loss when battery switch was turned on. From 25-30FPS to 2FPS barely managing to move the mouse and close the mission. (Note that this happened only on cold started plane)

For me it was a rule. Not only the lights were bugged but they automatically had severe performance impact but only when the light knob was "blocked" to maximum not when it was blocked to minimum. (Note that my PC can handle the lighting system on DCS Mig21Bis pretty well)

Now with the patch 3 the light knobs bug seems fixed but not the FPS/performance problem.

So:

Sometimes when starting the mission I can see the light knobs in minimum position as always and as the light bug is fixed but in the second I turn on the battery switch the FPS plummets to 2.

This for me seems to be the following situation:

Before Patch 3 There was a problem that had 2 simultaneous manifestations:

1. light knob to max and

2. something else hidden from view.

When this random double problem appeared the performance was severely affected.

Now after Patch manifestation 1. was removed but the second remained hidden and with it the FPS problem appears immediately when I power on the electrics via battery switch.

Unfortunately... before when I saw the lightknob turned towards maximum I didn't even attempted to power up the plane... I was just reloading the mission. Now... is a gamble.

Anyone else have this?

I have the same problem. I found that turning the landing/taxi light on then off fixes it. I think its a bug dew to lighting that comes on when you switch on the battery.

Lex15

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem, unfortunately I've created a new topic with a track. This happened when I choose a Mig 21 from a different nation instead a Russian one. Something is wrong with lights when Battery is switched one.

Track is provided in the other topic.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits