MiG-21bis Campaign

Disclaimer: I'm new to DCS and to campaign making, so manage your expectations accordingly. :music_whistling:

The campaign is set in 1989-90 in an alternate history universe. I've created a first mission. Nothing spectacular, just a sightseeing trip, more or less. Feel free to look it over and let me know what you think so far!

Briefing: (still WIP, mind you)

March 11, 1985: Mikhail Gorbachev becomes leader of the Soviet Union.

January 20, 1989: George H. W. Bush is inaugurated as 41st President of the United States.

February 2, 1989: Soviet troops withdraw from Afghanistan.

April 9, 1989: Anti-Soviet demonstrators violently dispersed in Tbilisi, leading to several deaths.

June 4, 1989: Semi-free elections in Poland show complete lack of backing for the Communist Party; Solidarity trade union wins all available seats in the Parliament and 99% in the Senate.

August, 1989: Parliament in Poland elects Tadeusz Mazowiecki as leader of the first non-communist government in the Eastern Bloc.

October 18, 1989: The Hungarian constitution is amended to allow a multi-party political system and free elections. The nearly 20-year rule of communist leader Erich Honecker comes to an end in East Germany.

November 9, 1989: Revolutions of Eastern Europe: Soviet reforms and their state of bankruptcy have allowed Eastern Europe to rise up against the Communist governments there. The Berlin Wall is breached when Politburo spokesman, Günter Schabowski, not fully informed of the technicalities or procedures of the newly agreed lifting of travel restrictions, mistakenly announces at a news conference in East Berlin that the borders have been opened.

December 2, 1989: Bush and Gorbachev meet for the Malta Summit.

December 3, 1989, 11:00:

Welcome to Nalchik, the new home of the 192. IAP.

Apologies for the hurried move from Ukraine, but things have been happening quickly as you know. We are now part of the 283rd Fighter Aviation Division of the 34th Air Army of the Transcaucasus Military District.

So what the hell are we doing on this side of the mountains? Well, as you may know, trouble is brewing down south, and high command doesn't want to risk too many assets getting caught in hostile territory if the poo hits the rotating ventilator.

The Georgians have been making sounds about independence again, and with things the way they are, we are here to make sure they do nothing rash.

Other elements of the 34th Air Army are in the area;

176 and 192 Fighter Aviation Regiments with MiG23MLD and MiG29, respectively.

36th Bomber Aviation Division, consisting of three regiments 2 with SU17M and one with SU24. They were in the process of converting to the latter type when all this started, so only the SU17 units are ready for action.

There is also an independent Assault aviation Regiment, the 80th, which flies SU25 and L39.

Finally there are a few recon units flying SU24 or SU17, plus some helicopter regiments, mostly with MI8.

These units are scattered around Georgia at the moment, and are in the process of getting organized to deal with anything that may happen.

Squadron: 192.IAP

Callsign: 103

Airfield: Nalchik

Bullseye: Nalchik

Date: Dec.3 1989

Loadout: R-60x4 Fueltanksx3

Task: Over fly the centre of Tbilisi at low altitude, if possible at supersonic speeds to remind the population of Soviet power.

Comms: Nalchik ATC channel 14, AWACS Channel 0, Wingman Channel 0

Navigation: Nalchik RSBN; 8, Beslan RSBN; 10, Tbilisi RSBN; 12

Route length: 619km

Situation: All is calm in the area, except several demonstrations under way in Tiblisi. Exercise caution on taxi and take off, as Nalchik AB is extremely busy due to the political situation.

Edited by samba_liten
Removed outdated file, updated first mission briefiing.

So far so good.

I would add some environment (russian crew chatter during start up, cockpit radio chatter during flight, etc.). It is a little bit quiet during the flight...

I would also add the channel numbers into the briefing; like Nalchik ATC [14] and RSBN/PRMG Ch. for Nalchik [8], Tibilisi [12] and Belsan [10].

I also miss a notification, if i done the low level flight over Tbilisi in the right way - maybe a sound file from your wingman.

Looking for the next mission, keep it up.

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

Calculated Take-off time = Actual Ready Time for movement (5 min) + Taxi-Out Time (5 min)

So CTOT should be 12:10

The outbound route altitude is to low. At least 5500m is required to cross the caucasus mountains. The same goes for the return flight.

We are forced to do the fuel calculation in the cockpit. It would be more realistic you give us the information we need (route-map, total routelength) during the briefings.

Dont spoil the action in the mission with comments like "(this mission is) Nothing spectacular, just a sightseeing trip, more or less"

For a text notification and/or sound, you don`t need lua, place a triggerzone.

Under Triggers:

Once // Unit in the zone(Player, Triggerzone-Name) // Message to All(Good Job)

...but if you want to check, that your MiG is fly in low altitude over a particular area, you will need a lua-script like:

do
local unitName = 'MiG1-1'
local alt = 100  -- meters

local unit = Unit.getByName(unitName)
if unit then
	local pos = unit:getPosition().p
	local height =  land.getHeight({x = pos.x, y = pos.z})
	if pos.y - height > alt then
		return true
	end
end
end

This script check the altitude of unit MiG1-1, and if it below 100m it return true

So you need to change the trigger setup to

Once // Unit in the zone(Player, Triggerzone-Name) && Lua Predicate(x1) // Message to All(Good Job) && Sound to All (Soundfile.ogg)

--> so the player need to be in the triggerzone AND below 100m

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

• 2 weeks later...
So far so good.

I would add some environment (russian crew chatter during start up, cockpit radio chatter during flight, etc.). It is a little bit quiet during the flight...

Thanks again for your feedback and help. Quick question for you;

Wouldn't the chatter get repetitive and annoying after a few missions?

I can't seem to find enough files to vary it from mission to mission...

Gentlemen,

An updated (more or less completely re-done, due to an accident with the save function:doh:) first mission, and the second mission of my campaign.

As always, I'd appreciate your comments, being new at this and all.

- Intro mission, at the beginning of the route, planned route speed in ME is to low (i assume the cruise speed for this bird is 800km/h or so). Also the planned Altitude should be min. 70m AGL.

A common prof. route planning would look like this

+ immediately after t/o climb to cruise altitude (min 6000m, better 10000m or higher) with best climb speed

+ Cruise 20km (or so) near the OArea, hold altitude, using best cruise speed

+ Descend towards OA

+ Playtime

+ Climb to curise altitude with best climb speed

+ RTB, holding altitude, cruise speed

+ descent/glide to ILS approach. The beginning of the descent depends on your altitude, speed etc.

+ land

2 nice missions. Thxs.