Door gunners AI. Working?

DocSigma

Does the AI on the door gunners work? I flew a mission shuttling troops into a very hostile area. Had the door gunner AI set to return fire. They opened the doors as expected. Got into the area, and the door gunners did not return fire at all from the small arms fire coming at close range and from all directions. Is there a bug with the gunners? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Generally speaking, the AI gunners do work.

There are limiting factors to their efficiency, however. From personal experience:

They need a clear line of sight (LOS). Buildings and vehicles can sometimes block LOS even though the enemy is actually visible. Try flying around the obstacle in such cases.

They would rather not fire than risk blue-on-blue. With other friendlies (helicopters, aircraft, ground troops) between your chopper and the target or near the target, the gunners won't open up.

When AI gunners were introduced, they were apparently too good so their efficiency has been tuned down. I think it's okay as long as they do shoot at the enemy.

Maybe others can chime in and give some more reasons why or when AI won't fire.

Sometimes they shoot and sometimes are not. The aiming skill is terrible, shooting way too early or too far away, or terrible off the target, and so on. I can remember a better time in the UH 1. I dont know what kind of update did this acting to the AI gunners..... I just flew the UH 1 since the last couple days again.

How to give fire order to AI gunner? Or the fire automatically

You need to set their Rules Of Engagement (ROE) to Return Fire or Free Fire.

See Options -> Controls -> UH-1H Sim -> Gunners AI Panel for keys.

Default:

AI Operator ROE Iterate: LCtrl + 2

AI Left ROE Iterate: LCtrl + 3

AI Right ROE Iterate: LCtrl + 4

LWin + h displays the current ROE and ammo amounts.

You need to set their Rules Of Engagement (ROE) to Return Fire or Free Fire.

See Options -> Controls -> UH-1H Sim -> Gunners AI Panel for keys.

Default:

AI Operator ROE Iterate: LCtrl + 2

AI Left ROE Iterate: LCtrl + 3

AI Right ROE Iterate: LCtrl + 4

LWin + h displays the current ROE and ammo amounts.

+1

Thx bro.

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

I really want to improve the accuracy of my copilot and door gunners in the UH1 to help my survival rate! I notice that an earlier post by scrtagnt69 advised raising gunners to 100%. I don't know how to do this, can someone help me please? Many thanks.

I really want to improve the accuracy of my copilot and door gunners in the UH1 to help my survival rate! I notice that an earlier post by scrtagnt69 advised raising gunners to 100%. I don't know how to do this, can someone help me please? Many thanks.

With player controllable UH-1H (ie skill set to "Client" or "Player"), check the tab "Additional properties for aircraft":

attachment.php?attachmentid=106228

:thumbup:

Screen_141025_005256.jpg.ff65875338bef5cc13843e56c76a6ec5.jpg

Just to mention, if you set units to invisible, the AI can't "see" them!

So you happen to see an enemy 100ft in front of you, but your gunners ignore him.

It seems to me in MP this is only happening to the host... clients seem to not recognize the setting and shoot anyway.

I try to not set armed enemy ground units to invisible anymore for mission building.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)