OT: When was it your first time?

...that you got into the aviation world? ;)

It started very soon for me and believe it or not I got memories from when I was 2 and 3 years old.

I remenber the first time I got to love aviation. It was on a dentist apointment!

It was not for me LOL. I was there with my mum to pick my father up and we stayed in the waiting room while he had a couple of teeth puled in a room down the hall. I climbed to a table in the midle of the room and opened a magazine. In it there were voyager probe pictures and the space shutle. I never let the aviation world ever since.

I used to pick up feathers from my grandma chickens (I loved to terrorize them), straped them on my trousers and ran in circles on the back yard trying to gain enough speed for take off.icon10.gif

Good thing it never ocurred to me to use the zinc roof as a sky jump!

I had a Timex 72K when I was 11 but I never got a plane game on it. At least my father never found one. It was too early for the technology of the time. Only the military had simulators and all ran on smoke and mirrors, literaly.

It was much later that I got to find SIM's on a friends PC. F-19, soon after the war in 1991. Got my own PC not much later and started to play it immidiatly after. I was comparetively much older than todays average when I started to play PC games. And I did it straight into the aviation world while most kids played platform games intead...those idiots LOL

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

My dad took me to Overloon (sp?) in Holland when I was about 2 or 3 and I suppose that's where my interest comes from. I spent all my pocket money on 1:72 model planes but when puberty kicked in the only real interest in aviation has been through flight sims. I only have a couple of aviation books and the minutiae of engine variants etc just washes over me.

my first time was when i was about to turn 7...was at my first airshow and I saw an F-15 plug into a KC-135, and i was...daddy, can we do that some day?? Then my dad sat me down on his knee and explained the airforce verion of the birds and the bees...those planes werent refueling they were having sex......perhaps ive said too much!!:icon_hang

Guest IguanaKing

I was 2 years old at Plattsburg AFB in upstate New York. My dad sat me in the pit of an F-111, and I've had the bug ever since. After that...we moved to Lowry AFB in Colorado, and we went out to Buckley ANGB all the time. I remember being able to feel the rumble through the concrete as I stood next to my dad and watched the T-38s and F-101s roll out. The T-38s were fairly quiet, but man, those F-101s REALLY made an awesome racket. The experience only made me fall further in love with military aviation. I even got to go up onto the flight deck of one of the only B-1As in existence. :icon_syda

Great thread, Pilotasso! :D

my first time was when i was about to turn 7...was at my first airshow and I saw an F-15 plug into a KC-135, and i was...daddy, can we do that some day?? Then my dad sat me down on his knee and explained the airforce verion of the birds and the bees...those planes werent refueling they were having sex......perhaps ive said too much!!:icon_hang

I won't make any remarks towards hippies :p

My first real aviation related memory was when I was 7 and my dad took me with him on a flight in a Mi-8, the crew was so amused with me that they even let me taxi the thing for like 10 minutes (with supervision, no worries). And I was allower to press the fire button, which I found very cool and was doing it as much as I could :p.

After that flight and AB visit, I guess something in my subconsciousness made me addicted to aviation, though I had a 4-5 year "pause" from that day (with platform games), until I started reading aviation related books and simming. I've been hooked ever since, but I'm not really dedicated, I like to fly sims, but I won't wear hats with reflectors for it.

I do get frustrated with all those retarded arcade shooters like Doom, UT, Quake, you name it, hate it when people ask me what we shall play at a LAN party (which I don't visit cuz of these games) I give them a speech about realism, that the only shooters that I condone are Armerica's Army, Operation Flashpoint and Splinter Cell. Such remarks from me are most often followed with: "But that's not fun, you have to aim there really hard and your munition is limited". And in my mind I answer with: "Yeah, and you're too retarded to think before you click, go screw yourself"

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

LOL force...

My PC specs below:

I remember as a kid , my dad and his radio controlled planes. We used to go out and fly em all day, I dreamed of how if I was just a little smaller... I could fit inside one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Zuki" Resident mud mover

CH HOTAS untill it breaks(for life)!

Not affiliated with any "squad":thumbup:

My home town is right next to the Air Force School in Bulgaria and I guess the passing L-29 trainers were the main reason I got "infected". So I can't destinguish just one single event that have started the thing for me. However, there are two moments that I remember pretty much- when my uncle took me to the L-39 flight simualtor in the AF School in 1994 and I gave it a couple of "test" flights(almost crashed BTW:D) and the second was in may 1995 on the school's 50th aniversary when I saw the MiG-29 for the first time. When it took-off at full AB I almost dropped my camera, that was the noisiest thing ever, until I witnessed a pair of MiG-23MLDs' fly-by the next year. This beast really makes you feel like it's opening the ground under your feet.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

First time I got to love aviation is when a pair of these:

Galeb_G2_N109PP-2.jpg

about 100m above me... I was about 6. When they were above me it was the loudest thing I heard in my life so I ducked and covered my head with my hands, bud my father sayed no.. look at them.. so I looked at them going away and climbing not to hit a building :D

That love was just sealed few years later when a group of six deltas (MiG-21) almoust broke my windows :D At that time I was in first grade.. remamber my grandmother saying: "they're just doind THEIR job, you get off of that window and come back here and do YOUR job" (homework :dreaming: )

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

When my mum took me to a Navy day and I stood on the deck of HMS Ark Royal and watched a RN Phantom (yes, that long ago!) come screaming in at deck height then pull vertical and just rocket skywards on a big smokey tail ... until it disappeared in the clouds.

The days before too many safetly rules at airshows in the UK mean that you can hardly see the plane!

I can't remember what was the first RL thing that caught my attention regarding flying. I know that I was into sailing and flying for as long as I can remember. I do rember though my first flight sim. It was Ace and Ace 2 on Commodore 64. I used to force my brother to play with me in Ace 2 (it was "multiplayer"). He hated it. :D But it was so much better to have a human oponent then the computer controlled one. Then, still on C64, there was Solo Flight. You had to go from airport to airport using VORs to deliver mail. Scenery were just dashes and dots but this was first sim to feature a working cockpit. Then came Amiga and with it... a leap in technology. I played Wings II (I loved the climate of that game, music, everything), F-19 Stealth Fighter, F-15, GUNSHIP 2000, etc. (BTW, in parallel I was playing sub sims like Up Periscope, Silent Service I and II, i686 Attack Sub). Then I switched to a PC and it was... ugh... a bad experience after Amiga 500. First sim I bought for PC was... GUNSHIP 2000... and it look awful compared to Amiga's version. Time passed, there was no real sim in sight and then... Strike Commander came. This was not a pure sim, but still, I loved it. Played a couple of times. There of course also was F/A-18 Hornet Korea. And then... I was trying to choose a new sim when I read an article in gaming press, about a new great game from russia. Flanker was it's name. Author was semi enthusiastic, saying that the game rocks, but it's hard to play because cockpit is in Russian. LOL. That's when I got hooked with ED. The sad truth is, that each of my computer upgrades since then were motivated mainly by the need to play Flanker (LO-MAC) with better graphics and no stutters. :)

ps:

Not flight sims entirely, but I also remember playing X-wing all the time during IT classes in my primary school. And then TIE Fighter. And then, not at school but at home, the Wing Commander series. In "The Price Of Freedom" I was totally in awe, when flying my little craft around those great aircraft carriers. The list of games is loooooong... but these come to mind in first flashes, at least considering the topic of simming (Ah, for subs... Silent Hunter II!!!! With Destroyer Command. What a game. And Sub Command... man, I stopped playing because it got tooo complicated even for me. :) ).

Jan "Escar" Hytry

Out from the shadows for a longer time.Smbd lend me some sun block. ;)

lf.jpg

My missions

System's specs

My dad's been an military ATC in Poznan-Krzesiny airbase (ICAO:EPKS). We were living next to the airbase. I was seein MiG-21s landing since I was few months old :)

First flightsims on own PC were Fighter-Bomber and MSFS 4.0 :D

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

My first flight sim was ACE (C64), followed by F16 Falcon (C64), then F18 Hornet (Amiga500), then Fighter Bomber (Amiga 500) then Jane's USAF (PC), Jane's IAF, then Jane's F/A18, then Lockon, then...joining online competition, then, X52, then, track IR...then...Breadfan Airlines.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

The dentist apointement was arround in 1980-1. The chickens episodes (becauses there were several) was between 1983-4.

Untill then never watched Starwars from start to end because I was a bit as an afraidy cat to Sci-fi and darth vader and the rancor scared the poaches out of me. LOL But later I did and it didnt do nothing but to worsen my obcession for anything that flew, fantasy or real.

The Timex 72 and my search for my first SIM was between 1984-1986.

F-19 on friends PC about february 1991, and then in about 1992-3 had my first PC a 386 in wich I played F-19, F-15, Dogfight, tornado at the same time my side for the space passion also made me go for wing commander 2 and X-wing.

In 1994 got a 486 and flew further titles (about the same time I first watched top gun), Strike commander, wing commander 3, Falcon 3 Gold and played these for like 4 years in a row. Then got my first pentium (200 pro) and bought F-22 ADF and then TAW as my first 3D accelerated games.

In 1998 with a Celeron 333A got Falcon 4, wich I played alot but came to me as a disapointment after the memories of falcon 3 Gold. In 1999 got Janes USAF and Internet conex for the first time. The game was crap but finaly I flew online and had a blast despite all the lag with a 56K connex. It was since thrown to a shelve where it collected dust and, then it came a hiatus where I spent most time playing previous SIM's and Falcon 4 from time to time.

I got an AMD T-bird 1200 in the hopes to somehow make falcon 4 shine but the flight model and missile uber perfomance made dogfights uninteresting and kept puting me away from this SIM. I kept playing other genres like the Command & conquer titles wich my younger brother already played for years.

Then in 2002 I heard about Flanker 2.5 Expansion "flanker attack" and I thought that the variety of fighters+online play had excelent potential and waited and saw LOMAC being planned as a stand alone game. SIgned up At ubi months before release. Bought LOMAC in december 2003 and despite the shock of entering a SIM that felt completely different from what I had tried to that date, I liked it. Spent 1 year playing it and decided to get my current machine wich finaly allowed me to fly it decently. My apearences online also increased as my handling of the plane improved with the FPS.

And here we are. :)

My PC specs below:

Some cool stories here.

Lets see... I grew up with Gaming Arcades or corner stores playing "Space Invaders", Galaga" "Joust" "KISS Pinball", "Centaur Pinball". One of the first slot computer games I remember and loved "Must have been grade 4 for me was "BiPlanes".

I joined the army and let all that go. When I left I worked In Hi End Hi Fi stores and had nothing to do with computers. It was "Class A" Home Theatre and "Analogue" Pool and Snooker were my gaming distractions back then. Until one day I saw a 486 with Falcon 3.0. That same week I bought myself a 386 DX 40 and like all mis informed noobs with too much money, Thrustmaster. I played that sim to death. Tried to get my Boss then Len to see the future and what pc's will do to home entertainment. He couldnt so I changed my career into computers.

From Falcon 3.0 to "1942 PAW", "EF200" (Taught myself to use mouse left handed with its clickable cockpit)

My first online experience was with F22 by DID against of all people "Zuki" Who was friendly and explaned to me about "Thrust vectoring" Not before giving me a good whipping mind you. I soon joined the 111th Black Knights and then once Janes F15 came out moved from Kali to JCN ...well You probably know the rest.

Well I hope my next story of success will be in another F-16 SIM. The F-16 is all time my favourite fighter (even before it was chosen for my countries AF, and when it did I went maniac with falcon 3 Gold).

Ever since the Timex 72k Im on a quest for a "perfect SIM" with the F-16 in it.

Falcon 3 Gold lacked the missile smoke trails wich I found essencial as visual clues and aestetics. Falcon 4 let me down with the paper plane physics and super missile that didnt cause anything else but to just turn tail and run for ridiculous distances. I would let all my missiles go and run. Got fed up of that.

My search is on. LOMAC still lacks a plane that will allow me to fly in valleys with HARMS ready to go on waypoint mode so I can drop cluster bombs on airfields while they rain down on the AAA while tracers (à la gulf war) light up the sky or fight it out if a an enemy MIG jumps on me with compelling flight dynamics and a shiny realistic HUD in a 3D pit. I'm still looking a sim to do this online. Im in the hopes that the future ED SIM does this and to some extent FO as well.

Time will tell.

My PC specs below:

Guest IguanaKing

Ah yes...ACE (Air Combat Emulator) I remember it fondly. IIRC, you could even hook up a second C64 through a null modem cable and have another person act as your WSO. Great stuff! F-16 Combat Pilot was my first experience with buggy software ;) . It was great on the PC, but, on the C64...it was impossible to tell which ground targets you had already killed, they didn't change their appearance.

F-19 was my favorite though. My player log ended up being a full bird with all kinds of medals, including the Congressional Medal of...Jesus.

My first flight sim was ACE (C64), followed by F16 Falcon (C64), then F18 Hornet (Amiga500), then Fighter Bomber (Amiga 500) then Jane's USAF (PC), Jane's IAF, then Jane's F/A18, then Lockon...

We had a very simular path :) I can just add couple more like F16 Combat Pilot, Interceptor, F15 Strike Eage, Combat Air Patrol...

I think my first was Air Combat Emulator on C64 like yours ;)

And my first experience in flying against a human was with my friend on two amiga 500 conected with a cable that he made. I just cant tell was it Fighter Bomber or Combat Pilot, but i think it was CP.

Falcon 4 let me down with the paper plane physics and super missile that didnt cause anything else but to just turn tail and run for ridiculous distances.

Yes, I remember the

"Archer BANG Inbound" warning calls ... :)

I remember playing Falcon on the Amiga ... pretty much the only reason I bought it ... I seem to remember Falcon on the PC was 4 colour at the time ...

Guest IguanaKing

16...but it might as well be 4 colors.

Falcon on the Amiga was pretty close to F4 on the PC in its original incarnation...same glass landing gear. It definitely taught you how to set your jet down gently.

My story goes something like this.....

My Uncle was in the Air Force and acutually flew one of the first in flight refueling tankers back in the day.....

He left quite an impression on me as he traveled all over the world and brought back mementos from everywhere....

Well when I became old enough to contemplate a service, I dedcided that I actually wanted to become part of US Marine Corps Aviation ...

So after my combat military training was completed I found my self at the Naval Air Station in Memphis Tennesee were I was to undergo addional training that would introduce and train me for an mos in Marine Corps Aviation....

Needless to say that something of this magnitude would leave a life time impression on a young man.....

So I've been following all forms of aviation up untill the present, but above all Military Combat is still in the forefront with me.....

Sempher Fi

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

There was a small park where I grew up in Knoxville, Tennessee. I was probably around ten years old (1963). In those days, there were lots of ww2 and Korean war aircraft relics around at schools, parks, etc. This particular park had a P80 Shooting Star mounted up on a pole and a ladder allowed you to climb up and sit in the cockpit. [Can you imagine them doing that today?] I absolutely fell in love with fighter aircraft because of that. I made bunches of F86, P51, P80 models and always had them hanging in my room. I joined the Air Force when I was 18 and the love affair has never died. I have two Guillows models (a P51 and an A6M2 Zero) hanging in my garage right now.

signature.jpg

---------- Click here for details ----------

Abit AV8 MB, AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1.5 GB DDR, GeForce 6600GT/256MB AGP,

CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals/Throttle Quad/DT225 Trackball, TIR4