DCS detecting all Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS switch commands!

Archer7

And you missed the point of the first post I made in this thread. The functionality is already there. You can do everything with lua.

You shouldn't have to learn bloody lua... and if we can already do it using lua then why can't ED?!

I too would like to be able to assign the off position of the switches in the gui. There should be no need to learn lua scripting for the basic task of assigning commands to your controllers.

Not restricted to the Warthog of course. There are other devices out there that have toggle switches, that are not sending a dx command in the off position.

Exactly. Even if it may not always be ED's job it is definitely in their best interest to make sure they support the most popular joysticks and to be honest there are only 2 or 3 joysticks in Sweden that have position switches and I can't imagine there being an incredible wealth of them internationally.

Edited by Archer7

Guys, just take a look at the input.lua and you should understand why it works for A-10C and not other modules. It's trivial to apply the same concepts to any other aircraft. I'm able to start and stop the F-15's engines with my Warthog and other functions.

And please don't say that ED should be responsible. The only reason the A-10C works is because ED was kind enough to include a custom .lua for it since the TM warthog was made specifically for DCS: A-10C. It's not up to ED to bind every button and axis for you for aircraft that don't have that same HOTAS because it's just not practical. It's up to the end user to choose what works best for them.

Edit for clarification.

Can you share? Since they changed to lua.diff files all my throttle has is section for the slider. I'd be interested in doing this for other aircraft as well though.

Flaps too if you can share an example.

Thanks!

You should have to learn bloody lua...

Exactly. Even if it may not always be ED's job it is definitely in their best interest to make sure they support the most popular joysticks and to be honest there are only 2 or 3 joysticks in Sweden that have position switches and I can't imagine there being an incredible wealth of them internationally.

Maybe you should reread my reply. Reading comprehension can go a long way.

I'll post an example when I get home on how to change the lua for throttles and other switches.

Folks,

Look at the link that redterror gave on Page 2.

And in that linked post look at streakeagle's mods -- in the first section there are lines for Flaps0 and for Flaps45. THIS is an example of how to assign a command to the Off position of a Warthog switch.

streakeagle also says in this post that he is not overwriting any content of the file, he is adding in his modifications to it.

NOTE -- I have not tried this, but would like to use it for my Huey and F-15C controls...

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

You still have no idea what this thread is about.

That's all you got? Not an "I'm sorry, I misread your post"? Go back and carefully read my posts again because it's more than obvious that you haven't been. I don't really care that it comes of as harsh because you don't really care to bother learning on how to play. It's already available and saying it's ED's fault for not holding your hand or that they aren't catering to your needs is childish. The lua files are adequate and work better than the GUI in some circumstances.

That's all you got? Not an "I'm sorry, I misread your post"? Go back and carefully read my posts again because it's more than obvious that you haven't been. I don't really care that it comes of as harsh because you don't really care to bother learning on how to play. It's already available and saying it's ED's fault for not holding your hand or that they aren't catering to your needs is childish. The lua files are adequate and work better than the GUI in some circumstances.

This is a silly high standard to impose on folks that just want to play a flight sim. I only do PC forensic and litigation discovery work these days, but I used to do a lot of switch programming (FC SANs mainly) and Cisco configuration work, so I can parse my way through Lua if I had to, but even with my background that's the last thing I want to do to play a game. I know many dedicated flight sim folks that are also PC enthusiasts that don't code at all, and the thought of them doing anything other than going into full eye-glaze when presented with a block of Lua code is ludicrous. Just because I can do more with the Cisco command line than the GUI doesn't mean I want to. On the flip side, I've got friends that are completely baffled by why I pay other people to work on my car, since it's so 'obvious and easy' how to replace a simple engine component (I'd walk through broken glass before taking a wrench to my car's engine.)

Nobody is seriously advocating the ED provides detailed default mappings for every stick out there, or anything close to it. If they simply provided the option in the mapping GUI to activate a control if a certain DX switch was either detected in the off position or moved to the off position, it would completely solve the problem.

• Like 1

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

I'm not bothering learning how to play? I'm not bothering learning how to write scripts for ****ing DCS configs :doh:

Why do you so strongly oppose that ED make their product more user-friendly? Elitism.

Guys, please stay polite to each other, it still is ONLY a sim :)

As I can see, things have changed a lot in the Thrustmaster World and configuring a Hotas does not only demand knowing the game inside out first, so you know what you want to program, it is also far more over the top and way more complicated than it needs to be.

I would have no problems configuring the Hotas for each and every module I own and reload a setup into the controller when I switch AC, I just ask myself if I can achieve a satisfying programming with what is given to us.

I like to tell the sim what to do when I press a button, like DEPLOY BRAKECHUTE and release the Chute when I release that button ( with a modifier, so Chute and Brakes use the same button with a modifier. Sounds easy, is easy, if the stick and DCS allows direct programming, these days DX is also in the boat and just makes it more complicated.

Does the Airbrake still work the way it used to work with TM's 1st Hotas, the rocker button that has 1 permanent position DOWN for AIR-BRAKES ON until rocker moved back to middle position, and 1 upper position that is spring loaded, so as soon as I let go the button goes back to middle and closes Air-Brake ? Is this still possible ?

Does the Warthog come with any programming software or do you have to use the games and DX's way of going it ?

Thanks for your answers

I think ED should provide a meaningful setup for each AC for the 3 most used Joysticks, Thrustmaster, Saitek and CH. So anyone has a starting point and can develop his own setup with

the templates provided by ED. This should be possible in a matter of 1-2 workdays for anyone inside ED who owns one of those sticks, even if they provide their own private setups..

Just something so one can get started.

If things stay as unclear as they are, I am staying with what I have, enough for the Ka-50 and enough to be among the top 5 almost every time on servers, so you can't say it's a drawback, it's only convenience but for the A-10C it's a must I admit.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

A noble thought indeed... the bugbear though, is not everyone would like, or feel is right, the way it would be presented though - you know, the old " I don't want that function on that button... I want that function it on this button" dilemma.

I don't mean to sound negative to the idea, but it does open up a new line of upsets

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

A noble thought indeed... the bugbear though, is not everyone would like, or feel is right, the way it would be presented though - you know, the old " I don't want that function on that button... I want that function it on this button" dilemma.

I don't mean to sound negative to the idea, but it does open up a new line of upsets

You don't understand either. RTFT.

Anyone can set up their HOTAS however they want. All I'm asking is that we should be able to set up all buttons instead of half now being available!

Well then and sadly, DirectInput (or whatever it is called) is getting in your way then.... Sticks etc must have an OFF STATE, buttons must have an OFF position so the input can actually determine which button is being pressed for its assigning.

If that is not to your liking... get the programmer for the hardware, learn how to use it and knock yourself out - dyfhw

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Well then and sadly, DirectInput (or whatever it is called) is getting in your way then.... Sticks etc must have an OFF STATE, buttons must have an OFF position so the input can actually determine which button is being pressed for its assigning.

If that is not to your liking... get the programmer for the hardware, learn how to use it and knock yourself out - dyfhw

Exactly... and what he's asking for (and what would completely solve the problem) is simply putting in a modifier option in the current control setup GUI to have the game perform an action if the selected button is in or moved to the OFF STATE.

Really... that's all he's asking for. You can do it right now by modifying the Lua files that define the input scheme, but that's a very tall order for a non-coder. It's a bit like telling someone unhappy with their steering wheel position to disassemble the control column and put in some different mounting bolts, vs. giving a simple adjustment lever.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers