Landing guide for dummies

SFC Tako

So I've been playing this game for over a week now and I've been a total MORON about it. If you yourself is new to this game - watch my video and save yourself all them crashes (I think I flew about TEN Elbrus missions before I made it...with a whole lot of luck instead of skill).

To be perfectly honest - I too still have a lot to learn, but I DO think this video can help all newcomers avoiding my "run-and-gun" mistake :pilotfly:

And that is an example of how not to do it smooth and gentle with the controls she is an old girl and demands respect.

Pick an open space and pick a spot to land on some way off and try to descend on a steady and smooth path.

You'll get the hang of it she just takes alot of practice and plenty of discipline.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

I find the hardest part of Elbrus Rescue, at least the last time I tried it months ago, is to actually get to the top. Once you reach so far up the Huey just seems to struggle to climb.

I once managed to land and get off the top of the mountain from "the saddle", but by the time I got a little way down the wounded guy died on me! :mad:

Nice video though. My tips, that I read elsewhere, is when airspeed drops below 40 knots raise the collective a little to compensate for vertical drop. To get out of VRS (that thing where you were dropping out of the sky) move the helo in any direction, usually forward I read is good. Never found that helps though as there is little time to do it. Or maintain forward movement throughout your descent.

Having said that it takes me ages to land, and I only wish I could land as quickly and accurately as you were on that video.

Edited by Raven_Morpheus

My tips, that I read elsewhere, is when airspeed drops below 40 knots raise the collective a little to compensate for vertical drop. To get out of VRS (that thing where you were dropping out of the sky) move the helo in any direction, usually forward I read is good. Never found that helps though as there is little time to do it.

That is why you don't want to excide 1000ft/m vertical speed, than you don't get VRS under 40 Knots, and you don't have to get out from it :smartass: Faster than 40 knots and you can descend as fast as you want, but under 40 knots you have to rise your nose, and increase collective constantly watching your VSI if you stay, say, around 500ft/m there is no way you can get VRS. Once you learn that then it turns out that VRS becomes really rare occurrence in Huey.

Recently I read in description of Aerosoft Huey that real one does not suffer from VRS, then a read comment from fjacobsen that real pilots claim its really difficult to get into VRS. And now that I think of it, you would have to be mental to descend at VRS friendly speed (close to or over 1000ft/m) so close to the ground that there is no longer enough time to recover from it. It must feel like free fall.

SFC Tako I finally got some time to see your video. Nice control! Damn You like the vortex so much:P When I was starting to fly I was more on the care full side. Because game reload time was piss'n me of, so I tried not to die to avoid it.

Edited by hideki2

Thanks all for the praise and feedback.

jay43: I know she's an old girl, but hey - I'm stupid :pilotfly:

hideki2: I'll try to remember your points better ;)

An old pilot told me to try a fast descent from 2000ft and then just land ASAP. Almost like an autorotation but with engine on (i WILL master real autorotation later).

Well anyhow, I tried it. I crashed. I tried it again...and again and again.

I made another video that most old hands will have a laugh at but I do believe newcomers can benefit from watching it as well. This Huey is just SO MUCH FUN to fly!

Nice thats more like it its a good feeling when you tame her, a little less collective on take off cause you're red lining the psi on the torque meter you need around 30 to 35 psi to pull a 5ft hoover check, once you get that held nice and steady push the stick forward to give you a nose down attitude of 5 degrees she will gather momentum on her own keeping it at 5 degrees nose down until she begins to bite the air and gain lift at this point she will try to pull the nose up so keep pushing the stick forward smooth and gentle.

Aside from that you're improving keep it up.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

I don't usually discourage people from sharing their successes and I understand that this wasn't meant to be too serious, but I think it would be best to avoid terms like "guide" for the time being.

Avoiding crashes a couple times in a row is not the same thing as knowing what you're doing. It's great that you get better, but absolutely nothing I saw in your videos should be considered as a guideline.

For instance, if you watch videos of Hueys landing in Vietnam: The pilots were aware that they might fly right into an ambush. More often than not they knew they'd be taking fire. But I've never seen Vietnam footage where they risked getting everyone on board killed by descending the way that is shown in the videos here.

Another example: If you get the low RPM warning, you're doing something wrong (or the helicopter is damaged, or you're in an extreme life-or-death kind of situation).

To be perfectly honest - I too still have a lot to learn, but I DO think this video can help all newcomers avoiding my "run-and-gun" mistake :pilotfly:

I don't think it's any kind of help, sorry. You're consistently putting yourself in mortal danger.

These two videos are funny and they show a lot of progress, so we can probably agree that it's for the LULZ, but please, if any newcomers come across this thread, ignore it. There are guides and tutorials out there that will help you, but this is none of them.

When you can land the Huey in a way that looks like the most dull and boring landing on the planet, that's when you have exactly the right material for a guide. :thumbup:

Yeah, well - I think we have different levels of sincerity. If I took this seriously I'd agree with you full on, but I don't take this seriously and I firmly believe new players can be helped by my "guide". But if they're like you, pilots...then by all means never look at my stuff again.

Oh yeah, got a new expert video out - feel free to axe it ;)

Yeah, well - I think we have different levels of sincerity. If I took this seriously I'd agree with you full on, but I don't take this seriously and I firmly believe new players can be helped by my "guide". But if they're like you, pilots...then by all means never look at my stuff again.

Oh yeah, got a new expert video out - feel free to axe it ;)

I guess we should agree to disagree.

I'd just like to point out that it's called Digital Combat Simulator, not Digital Combat Game.

I've had tons of crashes like the ones you show. I just don't put them on Youtube and tell people to do it exactly like that, but without the dying.

So, what are people to learn from your vids? How are these videos a guide? How is your audience supposed to learn from your mistakes when you don't even know yourself what's going on?

At least get your facts straight. ETL, VRS, Ground Effect, to just name a few. I'm not sure I could accurately describe all of them (i.e., in layman's terms - I'm sure I could not describe them scientifically correct), but I'm not claiming to put out guides, you are.

Just so we're on the same page, I don't have a problem with your videos. They show improvement and I commend you for that. But unless you know what you're doing and you know what you're talking about, I think you should refrain from calling it "guide" or the suggestion that anyone should learn from you. IMHO these videos will outright confuse new players and set a terrible example.

As long as you just label them "Look how I improved" or "Don't try this at home" or whatever, I'm 100% for sharing them, though.

This is what I put in the videos from the vey beginning:

(disclaimer: I don't know a lot about real flying or any real aerodynamic theory except wikipedia stuff, but my "advanced" theory really works in the game)

It's in the bottom of them so I guess you've missed them.

That and the whole atmosphere of the videos and the title and so on - that should tell people a lot. At least that's what I think. You know like: "I'm not for real, I'm not a real flight instructor, I'm just trying to land my chopper in this here game".

So I think I've been pretty clear about my intentions and level of sincerity.

If you're still hung up on this "guide"-word ('cause that's your real problem, ain't it?) aimed at players and nothing else...well, I don't know what to do really. I'm not changing a thing since I think I've done this thing the right way from the get go.

But I wanna drop this and get flying again. We can agree to disagree as you've stated (makes good sense).

For a guy taking things pretty seriously I really gotta hand it to you: you're civilized!

Not for once have you used any foul language, any hint of insult or character assasination even though I'm pretty sure I might be a bit "too much" for you. You've just stuck to logical arguments, based on fact and reason...I just had to make a note of it 'cause it's just SO DAMN RARE these days.

To sum things up:

We've got very opposite personalities I guess. But we'd make a perfect team in the Huey, you taking things seriously, flying the correct way and me chewing gum, smoking, flying like a cowboy! Yihaaa!

Yup, we'd be the best pilot team ever ;)

EDIT:

You're damn right about this being a SIMULATOR, and a damn fine one at that. Me, I tend to forget that. I just get carried away and play it like a game. I wouldn't recommend it for any of my regular gaming buddies. Hmmm...that's weird - I'm too serious as well. Not like you but still...

Edited by sobek
Just a thought

This is what I put in the videos from the vey beginning:

(disclaimer: I don't know a lot about real flying or any real aerodynamic theory except wikipedia stuff, but my "advanced" theory really works in the game)

It's in the bottom of them so I guess you've missed them.

YT doesn't display that for me until I extend the video description. And people wouldn't see it on embedded videos. See, yeah, I didn't even notice this disclaimer until you pointed it out.

If you're still hung up on this "guide"-word ('cause that's your real problem, ain't it?) aimed at players and nothing else...well, I don't know what to do really. I'm not changing a thing since I think I've done this thing the right way from the get go.

Yes, my only grief is the notion that the videos are supposed to be a guide, that people are supposed to learn from them. I fear that new players/pilots might take them seriously and get the wrong idea about flying and landing, unnecessarily delaying their progress.

But well, I've made my point, you've made yours, I'm ready to leave it at that. Besides, I'm probably taking this thing a little too seriously. :music_whistling:

But I wanna drop this and get flying again. We can agree to disagree as you've stated (makes good sense).

:thumbup:

For a guy taking things pretty seriously I really gotta hand it to you: you're civilized! [...]

Why not? I don't know you and the whole point of me derailing the thread is that I have a very specific point I wanted to make. I try to avoid places on the Internet where being civilized stands out.

Actually, discard "on the Internet" in the previous sentence. :)

We've got very opposite personalities I guess. But we'd make a perfect team in the Huey, you taking things seriously, flying the correct way and me chewing gum, smoking, flying like a cowboy! Yihaaa!

Yup, we'd be the best pilot team ever ;)

Me taking things seriously and flying correctly... happens. On rare occasions. Doesn't mean I'm always like that, though. ;)