MiG 21 vs modern fighters

lucien

Can I please suggest you take your gun camera off. You don't need it! It doesn't do anything other than obscure your view.

To take it off put the switch immediately left of the IFF decoder on the RH panel in the down position.

tsb47

It's off by default so it must have been deliberately turned on. I do it too. Immersion you know :)

'Frett'

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I please suggest you take your gun camera off. You don't need it! It doesn't do anything other than obscure your view.

To take it off put the switch immediately left of the IFF decoder on the RH panel in the down position.

tsb47

I will do that, I wasn't aware you could. Thanks for the tip!

Edit-Actually I looked at the switch and it's just one I've gone through and turned on without really understanding the function. I'll leave it off in the future though.

Edited by boomerang10

It's off by default so it must have been deliberately turned on. I do it too. Immersion you know :)

AFAIK the camera is purely a training device. You wouldn't use it in combat.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

How do you turn the trk files into a video?

MORG

+1. Would love to upload vids of me BLOWING newer generation fighters OUT OF THE SKY!

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit | i7-4790K@4GHz | 8GB RAM | GTX970 347.52

How do you turn the trk files into a video?

MORG

Mission editor has a built-in simple converter, but it's somewhat clumsy and doesn't record sound last time I checked. You'll be better off capturing Your flights "live" so to speak.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

no more videos? come on guys, don't hide your victory footage.

I nearly had a doublekill earlier on 104. First kill was a head-on kill against a distracted su-27, and moments later I started chasing his buddy. At one point I have 10 or so seconds of perfect firing position but I forgot to switch off my pylon selector from 3-4 (r-3's) into 1-2 (r-13's), and while I'm wondering why the missiles won't fire, the guy gets enough turn rate to dodge the missile when I eventually do get it off, after which his second buddy comes to rescue him.

http://www.twitch.tv/sleksa/b/643745284

The mig really doesn't forgive the slightest mechanical errors :joystick:

Edited by Sleksa

• 2 weeks later...

So I haven't posted a video in a while, had a strange chase with a F-15 last night on the 104th server, not sure.... anyway, thought it made it worth uploading...

basically, I get followed through the mountains, he flies right over top me and loses me, so I just go in on his six and shoot him with an R-3S.

Sometimes it feels like their just letting me shoot them down... seriously though, If you are, please don't, I don't appreciate being handed kills.

I was kinda stupid and pulled too many G's that turn where I start to black out there, lose my RS-2US's, fortunately my R-3S's stayed.

bBel3Z0D8hA

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very nice run away and kill Hadwell! Thanks for sharing.

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

Hadwell, a quick question. How do you handle F15C's who use TWS radar mode to track, lock and launch an AIM120C? I recently purchased the Mig21, but its RWR leaves a lot to be desired. In many of your videos, you go defensive a lot of the time when you get locked by an enemy fighter, but a clever F15C pilot will never give you that indication, before it's too late.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Nobody has 100% SA 100% of the time, I die a lot, but I can also have a long run without dying... sometimes i'll get pinged with two short beeps, and I know that's an aim-120 pinging me... but it's usually too late by then, and to be honest I just treat everything my rwr picks up as a threat...

and if it doesn't make my rwr go off, it won't make yours either.

Edited by Hadwell
  • Like 1

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the reply. The Mig21 is really a great module, it's the first module that's got me invested in going ALL-IN so to say and learning it's systems as best as I can. (Apart from the FC3 planes which are fun but hardly study sims). At the moment Im reading the manual, messing around with start-ups, taxiing, taking off and landing but at some point I hope to take this bird into combat online...

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

When you get used to it, it's a comfortable plane to fly, simple, easy, just don't let the G needle hit the 0, or go over 8 Gs with missiles... and try not to let the mountains sneak up on you... they have a bad habit of doing that...

as for combat well... ambush and guerrilla warfare... wait for him to come into your zone of fire, and stay in cover, run away if he paints you at range, lose the lock, and then try and find him again, hopefully he kept going towards you and is now in your missile range, if not, rinse, repeat... and remember anything on your rwr could be an enemy, it's up to you how paranoid you want to be.

I'm sure im missing a step there, like what to do if he's in close on your six... only thing I ever do is some kind of braking manuver, and try to get under his nose where he can't see me, anything I can do to get behind him, classic ww2 style dogfight, except with missiles...

or you could see in that video up there, he did a flat turn, and you always ALWAYS do an immelmann after a head-on pass... convert some of that energy into altitude, flat turns just converts energy into drag....

Edited by Hadwell
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If he is close behind you, best bet would be a ctrl-E three time. If you are within IR range, you are pretty ****ed up. Best thing is to separate.

I managed to escape a few bad situation. They isn't really a rule book and it is not working 100% . It assume you can pull ground cover. Even small hills are ok.

-Activate second level of afterburner.

-If target is close range, pull the worst turn you can, while braking as much as you can. Once the other dude overshoot you, just turn the opposite to the nearest hills/mountain area and fly as low and as imprevisible. If your target don't have trackIR and you can go behind the nearest mountain, decent hill, you are safe.

Don't fly into a fixed direction - If the guy see you escaping in one direction, he will likely follow the general direction. If you put 10km (out of IR range), you are pretty much safe.

Same goes with medium range. Escape, low and fast. plane RCS + ground clutter + Hill masking will just forbid any shoot, even from people flying a way way above you.

I escaped all the close fight with this technic, except a few times in the northern area, which is absolutely flat. There, you are pretty much ****ed up. If engaged there : here is the second trick.

Land. Most of the time, target will just loose you :thumbup:

If ever you are crazy enough to pick the fight, drag the guy to the deck and set the aileron sensitivity setting to manual, full sensitivity (sorry can't recall the name). That'll allow some ****ing tight turns, but that'll be really risky. It's likely you die anyway. But the sensation flying the mig in that manual plane just worth it :D

My advice for hunting with the Mig 21 ... know the aircraft radar & weapons systems, stay low, when you get locked hit the deck at full afterburner and don't look back. I find about 80% of the time you'll loose whoever is after you. Just understand you will die a lot ... especially at first. Good hunting!

MORG

• 2 weeks later...
As of today, the 104th will allow the Mig 21 back on their server ... great news! Now go get some kills and remember, post those videos.

MORG

Why wasn't it allowed before?

Edited by Harle

Harle,

I'm not very computer literate so I don't know the correct terminology but the 104th was concerned about the Mig 21 causing problems for the server, ie. crashing the server. I'm sure someone else can chime in and give a clearer explanation. Glad to have it back. Great fun in multiplayer.

MORG