MiG 21 vs modern fighters

lucien

Having trouble finding a mig21 beginner friendly server to try playing online. There was this 51 korea 1965 one that seemed good but I can't find that one anymore, it looks like its now 1954 and excludes the mig21.

Mostly all I've found so far is a flying wall of f15c out over flat open land, or sea, slinging aim120's at anything that gets near.

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having trouble finding a mig21 beginner friendly server to try playing online. There was this 51 korea 1965 one that seemed good but I can't find that one anymore, it looks like its now 1954 and excludes the mig21.

The <51> serve cycles missions afaik, sometimes it runs the 1965 mission, sometimes the Sabres v Fagots mission.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mostly all I've found so far is a flying wall of f15c out over flat open land, or sea, slinging aim120's at anything that gets near.

The <51> serve cycles missions afaik, sometimes it runs the 1965 mission, sometimes the Sabres v Fagots mission.

Exactly mate, 1965 Korean War server is excellent for new MiG-21 pilots as myself. Server cycles between Korea 1953 and 1965 and is about 4 hours long each. Actually the video i posted here=> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=147371 is from online fights yesterday and the day before. See you there FeistyLemur!

666GIAP_Chimanov - My Tomcat tribute video, type on youtube browser=> "DCS F-14 Tomcat Symphony"

I managed to actually get a modern fighter I think. Sadly I don't know what it even was. I was on this 104th server flying close to the Krasnodar lake when I saw someone getting shot down high above, so I pulled up and looked and it was 2 enemy contacts left. Assuming I didn't have much chance I used full afterburner and went right at one and locked and shot it down with a radar guided missile. Whoever it was was surprised a mig21 managed it because they commented wow good job.

Then after that I almost snuck in another. I saw someone up high and I identified him and shut my radar off and went full afterburner. After a few more checks with radar i got antsy and locked him and just went right after him from behind, but someone else shot him down from above as he went spinning before I was in range and I saw another contrail approaching him.

So I headed off to base to land, pretty excited to return to base with a successful air to air kill for the first time.

What do you do when approaching flanking/low doesn't work?

I managed to get a kill long ago on 104th but now I seems to have become super hard to achieve this (did people got used to defend against MiG-21s?).

Lately I've never been able to approach anyone, even when flying NOE I got locked and shot with AIM-120C or R-27R even before being able to get a radar contact, I feel like hitting a wall.

On the previous few days I connected several times on 104th (as "Pedro") tried approaching high then dive/beam on possible contacts, approach head-on, flanking or even blatantly turning around but no luck, got a radar contact only once (I had a visual once, someone was kind enough to go on the deck to finish me after I evaded some missiles lol).

Radio didn't help much either.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Maybe I was just lucky the first time, when thinking about it.

I just saw you there actually. I managed to take a couple more shots but I didn't get any more kills. I'm pretty sure I hit something with an R3R, and I think it might have been an a10 because it looked like it survived, I know I saw an explosion but didn't get a kill. Other than that I just got shot down buy aim120s.

I got a head on lock with something over the Krasnodar lake and got hit just as my own missile was launching, managed to eject and the chat said i was killed by my own R3R.

I know the kill I got earlier was a lucky find because a low ambush was exactly what it was. I was lurking by the lake and saw another battle up above and jumped up from below to ambush.

The other mission that was on there earlier was over the mountains, so at least there's someplace to hide on that one. The 51 server finally came up on the mig21 mission but there's no one at all on the server.

Edited by FeistyLemur

I just saw you there actually.

Yes I remember seeing your name too, Cheers ;)

Since I've got the tracks I'll replay them later to get the ACMI and see what happened exactly during those flights.

My biggest problem so far is that it seems that I never get to radar range before I got shot, I want to understand why I'm so blind.

I feel clubbed like a baby seal lol.

Well, any advice from me is of limited use as a complete novice. But on my last flight I could see some long range fighters were tracking me over the lake, so I turned around and beat it pretty much at highest possible speed back toward the base and very low. Then went around to the side and came back, and that's when I did actually get a shot at something over the lake. Still got shot down, but I did get a radar lock and see 2 contacts.

I really hope the unannounced planes from Leatherneck are direct competitors to the Mig21 so maybe the 1960s era can be more alive. I'm kind of hoping for the phantom and the F5 at this point.

My problem is I don't know if I really want to play the FC3 aircraft because I like full simulations with clicky cockpits. I love the su27, but I don't know if I want to fly one that's not full detail. I'm pretty excited for the F14 and F18.

Edited by FeistyLemur

My problem is I don't know if I really want to play the FC3 aircraft because I like full simulations with clicky cockpits. I love the su27, but I don't know if I want to fly one that's not full detail. I'm pretty excited for the F14 and F18.

I agree on that ;) be patient, it's coming Soon

Anyway I think found one probable cause of my beating last time I flew: too much radar :music_whistling:those guys were seeing me coming from far away with their RWR.

Yes I remember seeing your name too, Cheers ;)

Since I've got the tracks I'll replay them later to get the ACMI and see what happened exactly during those flights.

My biggest problem so far is that it seems that I never get to radar range before I got shot, I want to understand why I'm so blind.

I feel clubbed like a baby seal lol.

That's exactly how I feel lol. In over 2 weeks I have only managed t kill 2 enemy f15s and 1 enemy su27. Single player I di great, the mig21 just isn't competitive against more modern fighters but it's so fun to fly and I love the detail so I can't put it down.

That's exactly how I feel lol. In over 2 weeks I have only managed t kill 2 enemy f15s and 1 enemy su27. Single player I di great, the mig21 just isn't competitive against more modern fighters but it's so fun to fly and I love the detail so I can't put it down.

Yep, the fun and the challenge overweights the drawbacks of being the underdog ;)

I played again on 104th, using much less radar and I survived a lot longer, even got some close opportunities, no kill though. Only shot down once, did a nice engine out landing (no fuel), so it was a good day.

I agree on that ;) be patient, it's coming Soon

Anyway I think found one probable cause of my beating last time I flew: too much radar :music_whistling:those guys were seeing me coming from far away with their RWR.

I decided to give the FC3 aircraft a try after all to see what it's all about. Predictably I don't enjoy them that much. The performance of the F15 and Su27 is incredible, but the flight characteristics just don't have that amazing feel of realism the controls of the mig21 provides.

The radar is pretty insane. The mission that was up last night while I was on was not mig21 friendly at all. Tons of flat land and stand off fighting. I took an SU27 up to have a look and just so many fighters painting me from all directions friendly and non friendly from huge range as soon as I came off the runway.

The typhoon should be a lot of fun. Can't wait for some full realism modern fighters. The Mirage 2000 is starting to sound kind of interesting as well. Just give me the F14 and I can die in peace after that probably. The hornet should be great too. I had a lot of fun many years past with Janes F18.

Edited by FeistyLemur

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I managed to get a pure gun kill on an AI F-14 without surprise in an open dogfight. We were on a mission to sink the Normandy cruiser and had no weapons, when we were intercepted by a pair of F-14's, and we used our numbers. Since in reality their were more MIG 21's than any other jet, using your numbers would be realistic. Have one guy go out and grab attention while the other gets on the bandits tail and warns his wing man of any missile launches. Although we managed to sink the Normandy, one F-14 got a kill with his Phoenix missile.

In order to successfully "play" DCS, you need:

1. A Supercomputer

2. The budget of the US department of defense

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I honestly mute my rwr. It's pretty useless unless your being locked but also especially when your being locked. I heard there was a mig 21 upgraded with bvr and an mfcd plus guided Munitions. There's a thread somewhere about that.

In order to successfully "play" DCS, you need:

1. A Supercomputer

2. The budget of the US department of defense

There is no way of getting something this modern if it has anything to do with Russian technology, maybe a possibility of the Western upgrades, such a offered by the Israelis and the LanceR. Though we are never going to see another variant of this bird in DCS, such things just don't happen.

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

why even fly a mig-21 if you just want it to be the same as a su-27?

this is a sort of folly and self-deception that i don't understand how anyone can live with, you want to be seen winning as the underdog without actually being the underdog?

Edited by probad

this is a sort of folly and self-deception that i don't understand how anyone can live with, you want to be seen winning as the underdog without actually being the underdog?

because with a game like DCS, it's not real life, and when you can't die, then using something that isn't as good, making it more of a challenge for yourself is more fun... is why i can't understand why people even use aim-120s in DCS... i mean it makes sense in real life, but in a game it just gives such an advantage that it's just not fun...

and having a better radar and missiles doesn't make the mig-21 an su-27... it's still a mig-21...

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guarantee if we took away your FC3 F-15 RWR you'd be a mess.

on