"Search and Rescue mission pack" discussion thread

ricnunes

This is a mission pack which contains six missions that I made, where the player must perform Search and Rescue and/or Medevac duties:

- In Search and Rescue ('R_Camp_search_and_rescue.miz' file) mission the player must evac injured crewmen from a Cargo Ship using a hoist winch. Since DCS:Huey doesn't model a hoist winch the mission includes a series of Triggers which I hope models a hoist winch with a reasonable realism.

- The Search and Rescue ('R_Camp_search_and_rescue_p.miz' file) mission is similar to the previous mission with the same name but the Cargo Ship is under attack by Pirate/Insurgent armed speedboats. The player not only needs to deal with the enemy armed speedboats but also evac injured crewmen from the Cargo Ship that were injured during the attack.

- In Medevac Base ('R_Camp_Medevac_Base.miz' file) mission the player must medevac injured soldiers from a base which is under attack by enemy insurgent forces.

- In Medevac Convoy ('R_Camp_Medevac_Convoy.miz' file) mission the player must medevac injured soldiers that were traveling in a vehicle from a NATO convoy that was hit by an IED.

- In Medevac Convoy ('R_Camp_Medevac_Convoy_2.miz' file) mission the player must medevac injured soldiers that were traveling in a vehicle from a Georgian convoy that was ambushed and hit by enemy insurgents.

- In Humanitary Aid ('R_Camp_Humanitary_Aid.miz' file) mission the player must deliver humanitarian aid supplies to a small northern Georgian village that was recently hit hard by bad weather.

The purpose of this thread for discussion, problems/issues reporting and general feedback.

I hope you enjoy these missions and of course any feedback is always welcome.

Download the mission pack here:

Mission Area

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yay, thanks for the missions. could you adapt these missions to mi-8? i wanna play all of these with both huey and hip

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

You're (all) welcome! Feel free to give your feedback regarding these missions.

yay, thanks for the missions. could you adapt these missions to mi-8? i wanna play all of these with both huey and hip

Well, the problem is that I don't own the Mi-8 module.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Beware that one of the missions (Humanitary Aid) has an issue which I missed and fortunately someone over SimHQ alerted me for it!

The problem is that the weather pattern in that mission (Humanitary Aid) makes the task of landing at the place to drop the supplies an almost impossible feat due to heavy fog!

So I updated the Humanitary Aid mission by changing the weather and the updated version of this mission is available in the same link above. You just need to download the mission pack again and inside it you'll find the updated version of this mission (Humanitary Aid).

Sorry for any inconvenience.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just flew Search and Rescue. Wow, hovering above a moving ship has never been my strong suit, awesome challenge!

After crashing because of a lost tail rotor in my first attempt (must have had contact with the ship's bridge, stupid me), I made it in the second attempt. Cool mission! :thumbup:

I'm glad you liked that mission!

When I first had the idea and decided to implement it, I wasn't sure that it would work or if it would work that well but to be honest and I was pleasantly surprised with the results since it worked much better than I initially expected!

Of course most of the credits goes to the DCS Mission Editor which I find excellent and at the same time quite easy to use.

It's just a petty that we don't have a hoist winch animation/simulation but on pilot's seat perspective you wouldn't see it anyway ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When I first had the idea and decided to implement it, I wasn't sure that it would work or if it would work that well but to be honest and I was pleasantly surprised with the results since it worked much better than I initially expected!

By now I've also flown the Combat Search and Rescue mission which I also liked. The gunboats went to the bottom of the Black Sea rather quickly, but I'm not complaining. :D

I've flown Medevac Base twice now and it didn't work out. :(

When I approached the Evac site, they popped orange smoke and I landed (taking a few hits, but the Huey is pretty sturdy :)) right next to the smoke, but then nothing happened, no messages or anything. Could you check if the triggers work on your end? If you don't find anything, I can upload a track, but I don't think I did anything out of the ordinary during my two attempts. Just one question: Do I understand correctly that I'm supposed to evac the wounded while the attack is going on?

In my first attempt, I also tried to have my gunners kill every enemy in the immediate area, but that didn't help with progressing the mission.

Edit: In case it's important, I still have the first version of the missions since you stated that only Humanitarian Aid was updated so far.

Edit #2: Same thing happened in Medevac Convoi.

Edited by Yurgon

I tried to convert the convoy mission for the mi-8, but some of the triggers didn't seem to work. I couldn't load the injured troops and the clickable cockpit triggers referred to items that didn't exist or had different numbers that I don't know. Maybe someone else will have better luck- but I've never tried to build a mission and so don't have any experience using the triggers

@Yurgon,

Thanks for the feedback and for reporting the issues.

Yes, the only mission that was updated was Humanitarian Aid and indeed, you shouldn't need to kill anyone in order to evac the casualties in both Medevac Base and Medevac Convoy missions.

Maybe I screwed things up regarding the triggers, nevertheless I'll take a look at those missions as soon as possible.

Are those two missions the only ones that you couldn't successfully end?

@ricktoberfest,

Well, Yurgon reported that there are problems with the Medevac Convoy mission, so if this turns out to be true that could be the reason for the problem that you're experiencing.

However, be aware that if you modify the missions and while you are free to do it, that and than by doing it you are at your own "risk" (and I can't help you much with it, I'm afraid).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, I took a look at the Medevac Base, Medevac Convoy and Medevac Convoy 2 missions and Yurgon was right, there was indeed a problem. Thanks for detecting the problem Yurgon!

The problem was related to the condition that detects the player's helicopter altitude at the LZ (to extract the casualties).

The condition is called "Unit Altitude Lower than" and the problem was that since this condition detects Altitude Above Sea Level and not Altitude Above Ground Level (AGL) which means that if I place the trigger with this condition somewhere (in this case the place where I want the LZ) I must check what's the Altitude Above Sea Level of the LZ area and than define/set the condition according to this. And I forgot to do that for those 3 missions, sorry!

I do like the DCS World editor very much , but I would prefer a million times that such condition would detect the AGL altitude instead of the Sea Level or at least that there was an another/alternative condition which could be called something like "Unit Altitude AGL Lower than".

Anyway, the problem was detected and solved and I've already uploaded an updated version of this mission pack which corrects this problem on the 3 missions mentioned above. Those missions should work now! Actually I tried 2 of them (Medevac Base, Medevac Convoy) and they work now.

Sorry for any inconvenience!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, you're right NeilWillis! :)

Ok DONE! Change the mission's name from "Humanitary aid" to "Humanitarian aid".

Albeit I kept the old (and incorrect) name file name (R_Camp_Humanitary_Aid.miz) for the sake of being easier to update - Just need to copy over and replace the old mission file.

Edited by ricnunes

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The problem was related to the condition that detects the player's helicopter altitude at the LZ (to extract the casualties).

[...]

I do like the DCS World editor very much , but I would prefer a million times that such condition would detect the AGL altitude instead of the Sea Level or at least that there was an another/alternative condition which could be called something like "Unit Altitude AGL Lower than".

Looks good, I just flew Medevac Base and Medevac Convoy and they worked fine this time. Thx for updating the missions! :thumbup:

I'm also looking forward to flying the second Convoy Medevac and the Humanitarian Aid missions sometime soon.

Regarding the landing triggers, that's a constant pain indeed. I think the best solution would be if there was simply a condition "Player landed".

When I got into mission building for the Huey, I peeked at previous missions and they have a pretty clever combination of conditions in order to detect a landing:

UNIT INSIDE ZONE (Unit, Zone)
UNIT'S SPEED LOWER THAN(Unit, 1)
UNIT'S VERTICAL SPEED IN LIMITS(Unit, -1, 1)
X: COCKPIT ARGUMENT IN RANGE(200, 0, 0.2)

The really cool thing is the X: COCKPIT ARGUMENT IN RANGE condition. Argument 200 is the collective stick and the range min 0 to max 0.2 means "collective lowered".

Unfortunately this only works in SP as far as I am aware. But in SP it works very well because basically you only need to adjust the unit and zone and can copy the rest, so there's no need to adjust the LZ's altitude above MSL. :thumbup:

Looks good, I just flew Medevac Base and Medevac Convoy and they worked fine this time. Thx for updating the missions! :thumbup:

I'm also looking forward to flying the second Convoy Medevac and the Humanitarian Aid missions sometime soon.

Regarding the landing triggers, that's a constant pain indeed. I think the best solution would be if there was simply a condition "Player landed".

When I got into mission building for the Huey, I peeked at previous missions and they have a pretty clever combination of conditions in order to detect a landing:

The really cool thing is the X: COCKPIT ARGUMENT IN RANGE condition. Argument 200 is the collective stick and the range min 0 to max 0.2 means "collective lowered".

Unfortunately this only works in SP as far as I am aware. But in SP it works very well because basically you only need to adjust the unit and zone and can copy the rest, so there's no need to adjust the LZ's altitude above MSL. :thumbup:

This is great to know. I actually realized that the altitude trigger was the problem and came here to mention it, but see that I'm too late. I bought the Huey and when it ha the same problem I realized it was something else- the trigger. I may still convert the missions but now I'm hooked on the Huey and haven't played the hip in several days anyways

Where do you find out the cockpit triggers and such? An old article I saw said in the aircraft/scripts folder, but that doesn't contain it in my install

Where do you find out the cockpit triggers and such? An old article I saw said in the aircraft/scripts folder, but that doesn't contain it in my install

I think I've read something to that effect, but I haven't had any success in finding that out myself (not been looking really hard, though). I just looked at how it was done in the UN Pilot campaign and found that it was easy to apply the same triggers to my missions.

Yes, I agree that would indeed be the best solution for us.

That's a very good solution indeed! Thanks for sharing it :thumbup:

But as you say, if it only works for SP than it's a petty.

Speaking of SP and MP, could you confirm me if the solution that I'm currently using for my missions works in MP or not?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Camp Medevac base...

Hi Ricnunes,

Thanks for the great SAR missions... nice layouts and great flying to be done too!

Had a question about flying the "Camp Medevac Base" mission, where upon arrival / landing at orange smoke marker in camp nothing happened..., but after reading through this thread, you were already made aware of it :thumbup:

Am downloading the renewed 'SAR Mission Pack' now and look forward to rescuing some wounded soldiers who must have heard my Huey arriving and taking off without them numerous times now :cry:... 'bout time to pick them up for real this time...:music_whistling:...

DsPallasVi

Edited by DSPALLASVI
Added pic

ASUS Sabertooth X79 TUF Motherboard / Intel Core i7-3930K Unlocked Processor Six Core / Corsair CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 Dominator Memory Kit - 32GB (4x 8GB) / OCZ Solid 3 480GB Solid State Drive / EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ / Corsair CW-9060002-WW Hydro H70 CORE CPU Cooler / Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB Hard Drive / BenQ XL2420TX 24" Widescreen LED Gaming Monitor - 1920 x 1080 / Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 64-bit / C-Tek 12-bit: Foot Pedals - Robinson Cyclic - 5-button-hat cyclic - Collective / TrackIR-5

A solid 2 hours 17 minutes of flight time - that's how long it took me to fly and finish the Humanitarian Aid mission. And it didn't get boring. I just love the Huey. :)

Speaking of SP and MP, could you confirm me if the solution that I'm currently using for my missions works in MP or not?

You can easily test it yourself. Start DCS multiplayer, set up a private server ("Public Server" unchecked) and start it with your mission. You can then select every aircraft that has its skill set to "Player" or "Client", effectively flying the SP mission in MP as a single client.

I only took a very quick peek at the Humanitarian Aid mission in MP this way and it seemed to work okay, but I decided to fly the mission in SP because it looked rather long and I didn't want to risk having to repeat it because of some SP/MP incompatibilities.

In any case, in SP it's a great mission, thx for sharing it! :thumbup:

Hi Ricnunes,

Thanks for the great SAR missions... nice layouts and great flying to be done too!

Had a question about flying the "Camp Medevac Base" mission, where upon arrival / landing at orange smoke marker in camp nothing happened..., but after reading through this thread, you were already made aware of it :thumbup:

Am downloading the renewed 'SAR Mission Pack' now and look forward to rescuing some wounded soldiers who must have heard my Huey arriving and taking off without them numerous times now :cry:... 'bout time to pick them up for real this time...:music_whistling:...

DsPallasVi

@SAPALLASVI

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes the issue with the Camp Medevac Base mission (and not only, 2 other missions had the same issue as well) was reported and taken care of (I hope :) ).

All you need to do is you re-download the mission pack again and make sure that you overwrite the existing mission files that you previously downloaded!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A solid 2 hours 17 minutes of flight time - that's how long it took me to fly and finish the Humanitarian Aid mission. And it didn't get boring. I just love the Huey. :)

You can easily test it yourself. Start DCS multiplayer, set up a private server ("Public Server" unchecked) and start it with your mission. You can then select every aircraft that has its skill set to "Player" or "Client", effectively flying the SP mission in MP as a single client.

I only took a very quick peek at the Humanitarian Aid mission in MP this way and it seemed to work okay, but I decided to fly the mission in SP because it looked rather long and I didn't want to risk having to repeat it because of some SP/MP incompatibilities.

In any case, in SP it's a great mission, thx for sharing it! :thumbup:

Thanks again for the heads up Yurgon :thumbup:

I'm also glad that you liked the Humanitarian Aid mission.

BTW, Yurgon how did following part worked well in the Humanitarian Aid mission (For those who didn't play this mission, the part below is a SPOILER):

Did the enemy sniper (when you land at the LZ) worked well?

Edited by ricnunes

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Ricnunes,

Apologies for posting in wrong thread; realized it right after I posted, but for some reason am unable to delete my post from the (wrong) mission thread.

Flew "Camp Medevac Base" mission, all working perfect:thumbup:! Thanks for the hard work :)

On to "Humanitarian Aid Mission" now....:thumbup::thumbup:

ASUS Sabertooth X79 TUF Motherboard / Intel Core i7-3930K Unlocked Processor Six Core / Corsair CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 Dominator Memory Kit - 32GB (4x 8GB) / OCZ Solid 3 480GB Solid State Drive / EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ / Corsair CW-9060002-WW Hydro H70 CORE CPU Cooler / Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB Hard Drive / BenQ XL2420TX 24" Widescreen LED Gaming Monitor - 1920 x 1080 / Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 64-bit / C-Tek 12-bit: Foot Pedals - Robinson Cyclic - 5-button-hat cyclic - Collective / TrackIR-5

BTW, Yurgon how did following part worked well in the Humanitarian Aid mission (For those who didn't play this mission, the part below is a SPOILER):

Did the enemy sniper (when you land at the LZ) worked well?

Yup. :)

I suspected early on that I had door-gunners for a reason, but while I kept watching out for MANPAD launches (I know some nasty mission designers like to surprise players like that :D) I figured that the LZ would be safe, so I settled for a nice, shallow approach, trying to make the landing look good for the guys on the ground when I suddenly received incoming small arms fire and heard a lot of impact thumps...

My initial evasion maneuver was neither pretty nor textbook, but it put my gunners in line of sight with the enemy so they could open up with the GPMGs. It took a while and some more incoming fire until the enemies stopped shooting, either dead or realizing that they were out-gunned and would be better off hiding somewhere.

One of our guys on the ground had been killed, but other than that things looked okay and the remaining guys quickly unloaded the cargo.

I guess we got lucky, because all the way back to Senaki there wasn't a single malfunction. Well, actually, the airspeed indicator acted a little weird and the Victor and Fox Mike radios were dead, but there were no hydraulic failures, fuel leaks or anything serious and I was able to land safely back where I'd taken off from two hours earlier. :punk:

Hi Ricnunes,

Apologies for posting in wrong thread; realized it right after I posted, but for some reason am unable to delete my post from the (wrong) mission thread.

Flew "Camp Medevac Base" mission, all working perfect:thumbup:! Thanks for the hard work :)

On to "Humanitarian Aid Mission" now....:thumbup::thumbup:

No problem! Actually I made a similar mistake by missing the part where you mention that you later found the discussion thread. But as you said, apparently it's not possible to delete posts (at least I also don't know where) and since there was an another member (Noj) that also missed the discussion thread, I decided to keep that post.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the missions :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]