New 'Tutorial' Video: Su-25T FC Campaign Mission 001

Not sure if this qualifies as a tutorial or not. A few folks were having problems with the 1st mission of the Su-25T Flaming Cliffs Campaign. So I flew it, recorded it, and added a voiceover. I talk about some aspects of operating in the mountains and the main thread--Iglas. This flight was my approach to solving the tactical problem presented by the mission. There are others, including attacking from a much higher altitude. But this particular approach was a lot of fun.

The filesize is HUGE, unfortunately: 671 MB. Evidently the mountains, etc add a lot of graphic details that add to file size. An A2A video of similar length would have run about 150MB with the same level of compression. But compressing it further removed too many details.

You'll find the video on the A2G page of my site. Enjoy.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Thanks Ironhand :) Downloading it now. I'll post after I also finish this mission myself.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Thanks (Master) Ironhand.

But 671 MB is BIG even for a highspeed internet connection.

i9 13900KS  (H150i), RTX 4090, 64 GB RAM @ 6000 MHz CL30, TM Warthog HOTAS + MFD's, MFG Crosswind, LG 48GQ900, Valve Index VR, TrackIR 5, Win11 Pro x64

But 671 MB is BIG even for a highspeed internet connection.

No. It's not big. It's HUGE. The entire Flaming Cliffs addon is only 282 MB and you can actually DO stuff with it. Actually I was shocked at how large the file turned out. I kept thinking I must have done something wrong but I couldn't find anything. As I mentioned in my initial post, an A2A video tutorial of the same length is only about 150MB.

Rich

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Rich, try loading it into Movie Maker 2 and specifying a "Best fit to file size" to trim it down. I find MM2 very useful for this, because other editors don't offer anything comparable.

Obviously you'll lose some detail, but I can't believe all of that 671Mb is necessary.

Andrew McP

Rich, try loading it into Movie Maker 2 and specifying a "Best fit to file size" to trim it down. I find MM2 very useful for this, because other editors don't offer anything comparable.

Obviously you'll lose some detail, but I can't believe all of that 671Mb is necessary.

Andrew McP

I had a hard time believing it, too, until I tried compressing it further. Every other tutorial video has compressed to a reasonable file size using the same methods and compression levels I used on this. I tried pushing this one further and wasn't at all happy with the results. Maybe I'm just too finicky.

Rich

_____

Pilgrim, I usually can get file sizes with XviD--which is what I normally use--that are a bit smaller and better detailed than what I get with DivX which is why I use it. This video, for some reason, just refused to get small without ripping all the detail out out of its heart.

Rich

_____

wow...rich.....Its amazing .. Way to show off the way lock on is PLAYED.....:) Bravo dude.....

lol....funny thing is the bugs I notice as well...its like a pun....the explosion artifact,,,,,the lol....wingman....who likes to kiss walls. :p

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

wow...rich.....Its amazing .. Way to show off the way lock on is PLAYED.....:) Bravo dude.....

lol....funny thing is the bugs I notice as well...its like a pun....the explosion artifact,,,,,the lol....wingman....who likes to kiss walls. :p

Thanks. :) The wingman took me by surprise. I knew the timing was for crossing safely was okay. Really pissed me off that he flew into a ridgeline. I wanted him to take some of the heat so I'd have an easy last kill. Instead I had to work for the last kill. Oh well. Two flew out. One came back. Not a good ratio.

Rich

_____

Mission successful

Hehehe! I've passed the mission! And even my wingman has survived! :icon_supe

We're now at Maykop, celebrating our first success in this campaign :icon_pidu

Big Thanks, Ironhand. :icon_pray Now I have really clear image how to avoid those uber Iglas.

I still think they reload to fast, but oh well :)

I've passed it! I've passed it! I've passed it!

I'm sure I can expect hard times. I mean more difficult missions in the future. Though knowledge about Iglas will for sure help me out.

Now it's time to fly Flaming Cliffs mission nr2 :)

tail# 44 or 444

Hehehe! I've passed the mission! And even my wingman has survived! :icon_supe

We're now at Maykop, celebrating our first success in this campaign :icon_pidu

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D

Actually, I'm not sure Iglas reload at all. Isn't it more a matter of grabbing a new one out of the crate?

Rich

_____

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D

Actually, I'm not sure Iglas reload at all. Isn't it more a matter of grabbing a new one out of the crate?

Rich

Thank you!

Well, and that's what I think.. that they grab next one from a crate or something... ;) Let's pretend it is like this.

Anyway after several shots "the crate" is empty, and they stop firing. Well that's what I actually observed once, so I can't totally confirm it.

tail# 44 or 444

it will be interesting if ED can do small animations for the reload. In my humble opinion, that is what impresses people and keeps them interested rather than a 10000 poly igla model. Just mentioning that immersion is key ...not a 50000 poly model. more animations...more life like.....more in-battle feel. :)

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Very nice training mission Rich, as always. Fun also,

But the size is realy big, huge how you say :) . Unfortunely I observed that is rather poor quality also. When you said look at that town, it was barely distinguisible. At that file size the movie should have been crystal clear. Normaly the movies that are compressed in Xvid or DivX have a smaller resolution (they are sometimes wide view) and are over one hour and could have just 700MB. And they still look good. My opinion is that DivX-XviD are so good that in short time will replace the MPEG4 compresion dominance on DVD market.

Glowing Amraam has good compresion in his movies (although he is using some amount of "blur"), maybe he could share some tips.

Also, are you considering the release of the track in old style? Like voice over traing tracks? We could try another compression.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

My opinion is that DivX-XviD are so good that in short time will replace the MPEG4 compresion dominance on DVD market.

DivX is actually modified MPEG4.

DVD is MPEG2.

Both compression methods are already old.

all those new HDTV oriented codecs is the way to go. H.264? and so

tail# 44 or 444

DivX is actually modified MPEG4.

DVD is MPEG2.

I was just testing you :p. If is so, my bad, thanx for info.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Thank you!

Well, and that's what I think.. that they grab next one from a crate or something... ;) Let's pretend it is like this.

Anyway after several shots "the crate" is empty, and they stop firing. Well that's what I actually observed once, so I can't totally confirm it.

This mission is actually quite easy! Just circle around the three targets and lure the igla guys to shoot at you at their maximum range then escape popping flares. Soon they run out of iglas and after that it is easy to destroy the three targets and even the nasty igla guys. ;) I think they have two iglas per soldier and reload takes 30 seconds or so.