Performance Improvement check!!!

Airmage

Hi, i wish to post this message to all players that have encountered low FPS with their game. After spending a few whole days trying to figure out how to improve game performance, i noticed in CPU-Z application that my CPU freq was about 1500MHz out of 2600MHz total.

So, make sure you check controle panel, hardware, power options set to high performance - advanced settings need to have cpu set to 100% and turn off sleep, hibernate and disk shut off.

For me it worked amazingly, in a 8v8 mig29 vs su27 df FPS went up from 14 to 30+!!!

It felt like the game came back to life. I hope this helps.

Best wishes!

This may also happen when you have a power outage or aborted boot while still processing Bios.

It pays to check that as you said, this and other values, when booting, so screw your Bios Post Wallpaper and instead enable the postings so you can read and see what you PC says when booting. RAM speeds are another thing that often gets reverted to default settings or lower in such

events.

Unless you have a Dell or Alienware, HP etc. fabricated machine with validated Bios values and useable defaults you better know your Bios and those values or you may waste that extra performance that you should have over pre-built PC's.

I recall the Nakamichi Dragaon Tape Deck, Reference Class 1A Grade Audio Device.

It was the best tape deck money could and can buy, but it was haunted by a spell, like 1k buttons and knobs. If you knew how to tune it, it made the best recordings in Audio History but if you were of that kind that did not want to study and learn, it only produced awful results and those were better off with a Yamaha Tape Deck with 1/10th of the buttons and switches.

Same applies to DIY high-end main boards, for a novice it is impossible to get that thing fast and stable and extras enabled if you have no idea what a Bios does, with a Dell, or even better Mac, you would not need to know you have a Bios at all, it's preset, modest power settings, but stable.

You wanted that race engine, now read that book !

Owner's Handbook :)

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

This may also happen when you have a power outage or aborted boot while still processing Bios.

It pays to check that as you said, this and other values, when booting, so screw your Bios Post Wallpaper and instead enable the postings so you can read and see what you PC says when booting. RAM speeds are another thing that often gets reverted to default settings or lower in such

events.

Unless you have a Dell or Alienware, HP etc. fabricated machine with validated Bios values and useable defaults you better know your Bios and those values or you may waste that extra performance that you should have over pre-built PC's.

I recall the Nakamichi Dragaon Tape Deck, Reference Class 1A Grade Audio Device.

It was the best tape deck money could and can buy, but it was haunted by a spell, like 1k buttons and knobs. If you knew how to tune it, it made the best recordings in Audio History but if you were of that kind that did not want to study and learn, it only produced awful results and those were better off with a Yamaha Tape Deck with 1/10th of the buttons and switches.

Same applies to DIY high-end main boards, for a novice it is impossible to get that thing fast and stable and extras enabled if you have no idea what a Bios does, with a Dell, or even better Mac, you would not need to know you have a Bios at all, it's preset, modest power settings, but stable.

You wanted that race engine, now read that book !

Owner's Handbook :)

Bit

Times have changed!

1. Alienware is not the same since it was bought by Dell. They aren't the high-end rigs they used to be.

2. UEFI has been replacing BIOS (it is much easier than BIOS - graphical interfaces, etc., - there is even automatic "one button" overclocking).

If you want a powerful machine, you either need to learn and build it yourself, or pay a hefty premium. Even after you pay the massive premium for a Mac, you still are behind on the power curve compared to high-end PCs.

Since you should anyways thoroughly research buying a new computer, imho, it is worth it to invest the extra energy and effort into building it yourself.

Same, i ended turning all that power saving stuff in my BIOS off OS the moment this PC was up and running.

Same.

Also here's little tip to really take maximum out of your PC:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959492.aspx

Forcing kernel and drivers to stay in memory (instead of paging to disk) might seem like theoretical but even with enough memory seems to help, not exactly sure why but performance is more "constant-high" than without it.

Disabling WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery service (on Windows 7) with my router/firewall improved latency of network connections for some reason, it should not have effect when WinHTTP is not used by applications but apparently it sometimes does.

There's tons of these little things to try when you don't need them, features that only add unnecessary code to execute if they are left enabled.

When it seems you have maxed the hardware/budget these kinds of things can help, sometimes it's the small things like Windows suddenly running indexing service which takes all your disk-IO and CPU time..

Edited by kazereal
typo

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

Why would you turn off hibernate and/or sleep? Those settings won't have any affect on performance. They're different types of shutdown options that allow for fast resume.

Disabling drive shutdown is (IMHO) a good idea for system stability (drive spin-up on demand has occasionally crashed the app that caused the resumption), but once again won't have any effect on performance. I guarantee you your hard drives will be accessed fairly often while playing DCS... certainly enough to not get anywhere near the inactivity timer for spin-down.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

Hi, i wish to post this message to all players that have encountered low FPS with their game. After spending a few whole days trying to figure out how to improve game performance, i noticed in CPU-Z application that my CPU freq was about 1500MHz out of 2600MHz total.

So, make sure you check controle panel, hardware, power options set to high performance - advanced settings need to have cpu set to 100% and turn off sleep, hibernate and disk shut off.

For me it worked amazingly, in a 8v8 mig29 vs su27 df FPS went up from 14 to 30+!!!

It felt like the game came back to life. I hope this helps.

Best wishes!

I honestly dont understand how this works but I would assume that if you dont need that much horsepower at the time, the CPU throttles back until it needs to ramp up to provide the needed horsepower no? I guess what Im asking is, why not let it throttle back, its going to ramp up when it needs to isnt it? Im sure I am wrong, so please help me with this one, thanks.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I always disable any and all sleep, hibernate or other 'power saving' features as part of an OS installation process. It avoids all sort of little annoyances down the road.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I had issues with micro stutters some time ago in DCS after upgrading to my i5 2500k. Although there were countless threads about game stutters and a myriad of reasons they occur and another myriad of ways to fix them, the one thing that cured it for me was turning off the "C1E" power saving feature in bios.

That tiny tiny bit of time it takes for the cpu core to jump back to life may seem like nothing, but it had a noticeable affect on the game for me.

Edit: Originally thought it was called "core parking", but a quick look at my bios again and I noticed it was called "C1E". Although I suspect they both are roughly the same thing.

Edited by mechagimbal

I had issues with micro stutters some time ago in DCS after upgrading to my i5 2500k. Although there were countless threads about game stutters and a myriad of reasons they occur and another myriad of ways to fix them, the one thing that cured it for me was turning off the "C1E" power saving feature in bios.

That tiny tiny bit of time it takes for the cpu core to jump back to life may seem like nothing, but it had a noticeable affect on the game for me.

Edit: Originally thought it was called "core parking", but a quick look at my bios again and I noticed it was called "C1E". Although I suspect they both are roughly the same thing.

Disabling core C6 state may help also since it seems to be very aggressive in using power-saving state of the CPU: switching off some parts which takes a small delay to bring those parts back up when load is high enough.

And I would count DCS as "heavy duty" use of PC so those small things might matter ;)

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

In my case, the CPU never exeeded 1600MHz out of 2600MHz, i have no idea why, maybe an old system error. By setting high performance in power options it has been set to work at full power, but it won't stay on 2600MHz at idle; if u do not have a powerful application started, the CPU will relax, since it does not have anything to process. Long story short, i was trying to get supersonic with throttle limited on 60% :D

So having the good hardware setting i think is a must do for a player i'd say.

Hi.

I have some questions. :)

1) I tried disabling C1 and C6 states on BIOS. I think it worked great. But otherwise, I'm confusing. While you play in DCS World, can core (or CPU) park or go idle? How can it do that, DCS is running?

2) When power saving options disabled, how much extra power I consume? Will it be remarkable amount that could be seen on electric bill?

Thank you. :)

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Core Parking works in a way that has cores 1 ~3 (on a 4 core CPU for example) resting until activity on Core 0 exceeds 60%, at which point, Core 1 will wake up... when core 0 and Core 1 is active and activity on Core 1 reaches 60%, Core 2 will wake up... etc, etc and so forth

Core Parking seems to only be effected by Hyperthreading being activated, and not applicable on a single (naturally) or dual core CPU, iiuc

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

I honestly dont understand how this works but I would assume that if you dont need that much horsepower at the time, the CPU throttles back until it needs to ramp up to provide the needed horsepower no? I guess what Im asking is, why not let it throttle back, its going to ramp up when it needs to isnt it? Im sure I am wrong, so please help me with this one, thanks.

Some games don't handle dynamic clock speed shifts very well, and often can lead to very unpredictable behavior. You can either have performance hampered by it not knowing how ask for max clock, or just as bad having it establish a baseline at load based on the lower clock and have the game become uncontrollably fast when cpu clocks up.