Autopilot: ONLY altitude stabilization?

Rhinox

How can i activate autopilot so that ONLY altitude is stabilised? I mean, so that I could still turn left/righ (using roll-axis on the stick)?

Before Su-27 switched to this advanced flight model, I could simply use "H" which stabilized altitude, but I could still change direction of flight. Now when I use "H", both altitude and heading is "locked"...

You have to read the manual. ;)

"H" does it right as you say.

But you have also RALT+1, RALT+2, RALT+3 -> RAlt+6 and RALT+9 for a resett. This are the other Autopilot Modes. Sometimes you must activate 2 Modes so you follow the route and holde the route hight. :pilotfly:

Edited by Nedum

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

You have to read the manual. ;)

"H" does it right as you say.

But you have also RALT+1, RALT+2, RALT+3 -> RAlt+6 and RALT+9 for a resett. This are the other Autopilot Modes. Sometimes you must activate 2 Modes so you follow the route and holde the route hight. :pilotfly:

The "H" doesn't do it ^^', exactly as described it locks the direction as well. Banking to one side will cause a violent counteraction from the auto-pilot to bring it back on track.

Post a track and report it as a bug :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

256 GB SSD + 1TB HDD Crucial+ WD Blue

16 Gb Ram DDR3-1866-C9R Mhz Veng. Pro.

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

• 1 month later...

Autopilot is rekt at the moment.. I often use trim reset to make it work. Idk if this is intended behavior.. but I strongly doubt. We wait and see..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

• 3 weeks later...

From what I've understood, it seems the current autopilot implementation is close to the real Su-27.

While trying to bind and make sense of the autopilot modes, I had to dig in the "autopilot" part of the Su-27SK Flight Manual (and I barely understood what I found :huh:)

I think all the different modes we have in the key configuration options are inherited from the common Flaming Cliffs autopilot modes.

I might be wrong, but the Flanker autopilot modes are pretty similar to the Ka-50 "channels logic" as you can add different flight assistance modes.

Ad2LVV6.jpg

Based on the Su-27SK manual, the barometric altitude mode keeps the bank value if it's superior to 7°.

There should not be any "altitude + roll" mode as the radar and barometric altitude modes both include the roll/bank conservation.

Some specific modes are still missing but we don't have the chance to pilot a DCS-level Su-27.

The current available modes and functions should cover the essential functions, though.

• Attitude hold = АВТОМ (pitch + roll)
  • Route = НАВИГ (pitch + roll, following the different waypoints (?))
  • Barometric altitude hold = Н БАР (roll + baro alt)
  • Radar/radio altitude hold = Н РВ (roll + rdr alt)
  • default autopilot (default key: A) = НАВИГ+Н БАР
  • RESET = СБРОС (cancels any mode)
  • And the specific "level flight" which has a very special place on the Su-27's stick (ПРИВЕД К ГОРИЗ).

Nevertheless, I had some difficulties with the radar altitude autopilot as it was constantly climbing instead of stabilizing the aircraft (from a stable 120-150m rdr alt).

The radar altitude autopilot is supposed to be functional between 100m and 1000m (Su-27SK Flight Manual).

It may struggle with the new PFM (or I'm doing it wrong, or something else).

At least the DCS Su-27 manual tells us 'H' is an alternative to Alt+4 (baro hold) (and similar to Alt+2 (baro+roll))…

If it's not too much trouble, ED should modify the Su-27 key bindings to remove the useless and confusing modes.

In any case, it's still WIP and we should have a more polished autopilot.

In the meanwhile I should go back testing that AP…

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

the H and recover autopilots, work the same right now, even though the options say they are different.

I'm not sure how it's modeled right now but the "recover" autopilot has a specific behavior (Su-27SK Flight Manual (which could very well be different from what we have, of course) - please grab the salt ;) ):

- with a roll angle inferior to 80°, the autopilot recovers the pitch and roll angle simultaneously.

- with a roll angle superior to 80°, [EDIT:the autopilot recovers the pitch angle first, then the roll angle.<<< WRONG! (the AP reduces the roll angle first (<80°) and then recovers the pitch and roll angle simultaneously)]

Time to test "H" and "Level Flight" modes ;)

[EDIT: "H" and "Level Flight" autopilot modes act differently here: "H" just tries to lock and stabilize the baro altitude and "Level Flight" achieves to recover the aircraft with more than 90° bank, inverted flight, high positive and negative pitch.

Did I understand you correctly? ]

Edited by Bourrinopathe
wild spelling tamed + huge mistake whipped

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

[EDIT: "H" and "Level Flight" autopilot modes act differently here: "H" just tries to lock and stabilize the baro altitude and "Level Flight" achieves to recover the aircraft with more than 90° bank, inverted flight, high positive and negative pitch.

Did I understand you correctly? ]

I had it wrong the first time, i just found it strange that the same lights turn on for both the recover and the when pressing the "H" and both locked the roll.

- with a roll angle inferior to 80°, the autopilot recovers the pitch and roll angle simultaneously.

- with a roll angle superior to 80°, the autopilot recovers the pitch angle first, then the roll angle.

I'm surprised. I would think first wings level (roll) then pull (pitch) with max aerodyn performance is more efficient to "recover". That's how it works on F-16, Rafale...

Indeed. :doh:

My mistake. I was too hasty and made a sloppy translation (I must have been really tired, because I try to be careful about those details).

Sincere apologies.

Here's the original text from the Su-27SK Flight Manual:

В процессе приведения самолета к горизонту контролировать параметры полета и в соответствии с их значениями изменять режим работы двигателей.

Приведение к горизонту происходит в следующей последовательности:

− при углах крена менее 80° самолет приводится к горизонту по крену и тангажу одновременно;

при углах крена более 80° самолет приводится к горизонту сначала по крену, а после достижения угла крена 80° приводится по крену и тангажу одновременно.

So, when the roll angle is superior to 80°, the AP first decreases the angle to a value inferior to 80°, and then achieves a simultaneous correction (roll + pitch).

Thanks for spotting the error, Azrayen :thumbup: