Lock On Air Combat Simulation UK retail CD

Am I being a bit thick here (and sorry if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move)...

I have original Lock On CD bought in UK back in 2003.

Installed on Win 7 64bit using the CD fired it up, played fine - even in 1440x900 no problem.

Then I found changing the settings in details doesn't actually save the changes even when you choose MAX it still reverts.

So I went looking for the patch...

Ended up on lockon.co.uk website headed for patches section no patches for Lock On UK retail CD version just Flaming Cliffs etc so I got a roughly 200MB patch installed it then it gives Starforce error.

I can tell from that I have likely downloaded the wrong patch but can someone clarify...

Is Flaming Cliffs 1 what the original Lock On is being called these days?

Where is the official place to get support for the original UK CD retail of Lock On - I even went on Ubisoft site and they treat it as though Lock On never existed

Cheers!

EDIT: yep just me being poor at finding it - the ubi.com support site has the lock on patches in the advanced search on the PC section for anyone else who struggled to find them like me in the official place.

Also I now realise that Flaming Cliffs 1 is its own thing but I'm not completely sure if it is just a free addon for lomac, or if it is paid as on the lockon.co.uk website i can download it, but for some reason i cannot find any mention of cost/price for flaming cliffs 1 if you already own lomac... any thoughts?

Edited by wellen1981

Flamin Cliffs 1 was a paid add-on with its own serial number, it wasn't actually a patch, but rather a stand alone product, but because of licensing reasons you need to have Lock On installed on your hard drive. Now the thing is, that I suggest getting free DCS World which comes with two flyable aircraft: Su-25T, a bit more complex that original LockOn airframes, and TF-51D - non-combat P-51D version with fully clickable cockpit. If you still prefer aircraft set from LockOn - buy a Flaming Cliffs 3 module, and you'll get much better 3D modelling for most of the aircrafts and a professional level flight models for F-15, Su-27, A-10A and Su-25. For the record, there was LockOn Flaming Cliffs 2 with upgraded graphics when compared to LO:MAC and FC1 ;) But since FC3 doesn't require original LockOn installation I just omited it.

Edited by ophiuchus
  • Like 1

Flamin Cliffs 1 was a paid add-on with its own serial number, it wasn't actually a patch, but rather a stand alone product, but because of licensing reasons you need to have Lock On installed on your hard drive. Now the thing is, that I suggest getting free DCS World which comes with two flyable aircraft: Su-25T, a bit more complex that original LockOn airframes, and TF-51D - non-combat P-51D version with fully clickable cockpit. If you still prefer aircraft set from LockOn - buy a Flaming Cliffs 3 module, and you'll get much better 3D modelling for most of the aircrafts and a professional level flight models for F-15, Su-27, A-10A and Su-25. For the record, there was LockOn Flaming Cliffs 2 with upgraded graphics when compared to LO:MAC and FC1 ;) But since FC3 doesn't require original LockOn installation I just omited it.

Thanks for the reply and you echo what most people say when asked about lomac (eg get latest version)

The thing is people asking about the older version may have good reason to, in my case I am just trying to use a dual core laptop with dedicated graphics from 2008 so lomac specs are possible on this, but dcsworld/fc3 would be too much for the old laptop.

I have already bought A-10C FC3 and CA just so you know ;) but haven't got my new build yet to be able to run them.

Cheers for replying and the advice - I read the LOMAC patch-notes and they have good fixes I'm now on 1.02 but I also read the FC1 patch notes and they fix a lot on LOMAC - I am very tempted...

Might have to look into pricing up FC1 addon but I get the feeling it would be cheaper for me to just buy a used copy of LOMAC Gold on Amazon.co.uk or eBay.co.uk maybe?

Thanks again.

Edited by wellen1981

but I get the feeling it would be cheaper for me to just buy a used copy of LOMAC Gold on Amazon.co.uk or eBay.co.uk maybe?

As you desire. I don't find any sort of possible performance hits from getting FC1 other than the Su-25T's AFM. (probably not too much of a noticeable performance hit.)

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

I have already bought A-10C FC3 and CA just so you know ;) but haven't got my new build yet to be able to run them.

Good choices IMO.

You're in for quite a treat when you do get that build up and running.

Suggest you take a few weeks off work as you'll likely be immersed for quite a while... hehehehe :pilotfly: :thumbup:

Good luck, hope you get it all sorted.

My Hangar: P-51D Mustang - KA-50 Blackshark - A-10C Warthog - F-86F Sabre - FC3 - Combined Arms - UH-1H

My Flying Adventures: www.dcs-pilot.com :pilotfly:

• 2 weeks later...
Good choices IMO.

You're in for quite a treat when you do get that build up and running.

Suggest you take a few weeks off work as you'll likely be immersed for quite a while... hehehehe :pilotfly: :thumbup:

Good luck, hope you get it all sorted.

Haha, yeah cheers although it is handy that it kinda counts as research of-a-sort workwise, so I will even have an excuse for 'some' of the time spent in-game.

:joystick: