Landing in the Bf 109K-4

fjacobsen

Woelfel,

again, thank you for the mod! I gave it a try, but honestly I didn't find any difference ( ? ). But, the same happens in this version of the K4 with the trim tabs - any changes do not appear to have effect. My guess is that some of the parameters set in that file aren't being used yet ( ? ) At least this file only appeared with the last patch. I had used it in the Dora a couple of months ago to adjust the aileron trim tab and searched for it when I first installed the K4.

I know it's difficult to say. At this point, I've shot so many landings it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to be objective in making my subjective assessments, so to speak.

What I make it a point to do is perform intentionally rough landings - then view the response of the suspension on the recorded track. I am going to post a few more revisions in drop box for you to try out and perhaps I'll attach a txt. file that defines the alterations.

They can be opened and edited with the downloadable program called Notebook++ so feel free to tweak away. The quest for optimal settings is time consuming to say the least since every adjustment has some affect on every other setting dynamically and must be balanced accordingly in the ideal case.

This is the most recent set up I tried which has some pretty dramatic alterations that I made just to see what would happen. It's of particular interest because I never expected it to work very well at all, although it does appear to. I'd really like some feedback on it because this sort of thing is really best evaluated by multiple test pilots. As I mentioned I'm getting to the point where I've tested so many different set-ups that I'm not sure i trust my own opinion anymore! For this one I did my test landings with no flaps just to see how difficult it was to keep the aircraft rolling down the center of the runway.

Here's what I changed: Every value with the word 'Damper' in it - main gear and tail wheel - has been reduced to 10% of the original value while everything else is set to the default values. If it is an improvement then the problem has been that the undercarriage was prevented from responding quickly enough. Originally it seemed that the opposite was the case, and that the side to side oscillation or resonance was caused by an under-damped set-up.

I'm very curious to hear your opinions on this one. The changes are highlighted in red:

tailGearYawDamperK = 3.0

tailGearAxleFricM0s = 190.0

tailGearAxleFricM0f = 15.0

tailGearAxleFricVs = 0.2

tailGearAxleFricVf = 3.0

tailGearStockLength = 0.1

tailGearSpringForceFactor = 5590000.0

tailGearSpringForceFactorRate = 1.5

tailGearStaticForce = 15000.0

tailGearReduceLength = 0.02

tailGearDirectDamperForceFactor = 2.0

tailGearBackDamperForceFactor = 9000.0

tailGearDamageLengthLim = 0.1

mainGearSpringForceFactor = 1.8e6

mainGearSpringForceFactorRate = 2.2

mainGearStaticForce = 8500.0

mainGearReduceLength = 0.05

mainGearDirectDamperForceFactor = 2000.0

mainGearBackDamperForceFactor = 4500.0

mainGearDamageLengthLim = 0.12

Edited by 9./JG52 Woelfel

• 1 month later...
Sure. I'm working in the dark to a degree and it's a work in progress, no doubt, but here is a link to the latest revision of the modded file. I hope it works for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d4rj27860817trm/AAAQVSpTd-h3OEbQd2ber936a?dl=0

Ive tried ur mod after dozens of fail landings and it is much better... still have to work on it but I see the light in the tunnel... just wondering how multiplayer treats tweaks like that?

Madhatter sig2.png

|Ka-50|A-10C2|FC3|F-16C Viper|F-14A/B Tomcat|F/A-18 Hornet|Mig-21bis|Bf-109K-4|Spitfire.IX|FW190 D-9|Normandy|Channel|Nevada|Gulf|Syria|Supercarrier|AH-64D Apache|F-15E Mudhen|

don't know if it fits in here 100%, but i made a mistake on a strafing run, came in to steep, pulled out to late and therefore hard, lost both wingtips including both ailerons. landed savely at batumi after ca. 20nm flight, quite interesting experiance without having ailerons....

attachment.php?attachmentid=113497&stc=1&d=1424700838

landing was very smooth, but i had to fight the aircraft to roll in my desired direction, using engine RPM to roll and stuff like that, and got some REALY wet hands ;)

i have a track file btw, but it covers a MP session of ca. 3 hours, dont have the software to create a small video, but if someone wants to do it, sent me a PM.

Screen_150222_205623.thumb.jpg.202662452a859a1993d6d66aa9ca35ce.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

You really have to be prepared to power up and do a go-around as soon as something doesn't look right.

Windows 10 64bit / Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.30 GHz / 32GB RAM / GeForce GTX 1080 8GB / Dell UltraSharp 27 QHD U2715H 2560x1440 / Saitek X52 Pro Flight System / TrackIR 5

probably not the only way to bring the bird down, but (at least for me) it works like a charm :thumbup:

description of the steps i take in the video below

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts

My friend Korn landing like a professionist. (the view is from my plane and excuse the romanian chatter :P, ) We were on ACG server I think.

5GBGn3K_dgg

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Pro Job, MR. Korn. :thumbup:

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Like 1

i7 5960x 3.0@4.2GHz/ DDR4 16Gb 3000MHz @ / ASUS Rampage v крайняя x99 / SSD 240GB ASUS RAIDR Экспресс PCIe / 2xSSD 512GB raid.0 / 2xHDD 1Tb raid.0 / GeForce GTX Titan X / ASUS Rog Swift PG348Q 3440x1440/ HOTAS Warthog ™ / TrackIR 5

Nice, KLEPA!

EDIT:

;2328688']probably not the only way to bring the bird down, but (at least for me) it works like a charm :thumbup:

[YOUTUBE]0ZHIm6dMhYY [/ YOUTUBE]

description of the steps i take in the video below

This one as well. It hurts to see guys landing from 5 miles out using a 15 degrees slope :)

Edited by Bucic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Me and two of my Squadron mates bought K4 on Saturday while it was on sale, so we decided in the middle of the flight that we should record our first flight and landing.

Yeah....... it went as expected, we were hyped and at the same time, we were feeling at home flying our 109's.

Thank you ED and everybody involved in creating another beautifully simulated prop warbird. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheers,

Rain

• Like 1

Hyped indeed and boy your bunch beams joy in that video! :thumbsup: Welcome to the forums!

Re the video. What's your experience with 109? Do I remember you're both experienced with it from another sim?

Edited by Bucic

Hyped indeed and boy your bunch beams joy in that video! :thumbsup: Welcome to the forums!

Re the video. What's your experience with 109? Do I remember you're both experienced with it from another sim?

Thanks buddy, yes its all hype in there, we are not really professional in that footage like we normally are, we are just having a blast...

Yes we are really enjoying the 109 it is our plane. Well it is our plane, we researched everything into it, basically two thirds of the startup procedure we knew already, but we needed to watch the youtube tutorial on startup. We all basically come from old IL2, every one of us is in flight simming since before the old first IL2 came out. Half way into it 5th Staffel with 109 as our main aircraft is formed, but we do/did fly other sims (like me: in that time it was lock-on, before it was old microsoft FS, even before i flew 2D helicopter simulator I cant remember the name, then Ka-50 blew my mind later on)

Anyway back to details

3 of us take off fine, and 2 of us landed as you've seen in the video, except me scraping the right wing, that one took me by suprise. Third one had connection problems... later we tried taking off and landing with the droptank, she is silky smooth, beautiful...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just got this, but need help

I'm struggling with both takeoffs and landings. Yes I checked manual, landing is pretty covered but takeoff behaviour I did not find special instructions on how to do it. Compared to mustang, and with 10% accidents she sure will take time. Do I need to set curves?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Hi, I just got this, but need help

I'm struggling with both takeoffs and landings. Yes I checked manual, landing is pretty covered but takeoff behaviour I did not find special instructions on how to do it. Compared to mustang, and with 10% accidents she sure will take time. Do I need to set curves?

Just read this thread. You'll soon figure out the procedure that works :)

Obviously, turn off Take Off Assist and Auto-Rudder though. And if you don't have toe brakes/pedals, remap left and right brakes to single keys (I use Z and X).

Edited by Buzzles
Derp, forgot link

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...

This plane is really a challenge. I had some difficulties with Mustang, and I was thinking that flying Mustang was really hard (take-offs and landings especially)... WRONG! :) I wiped out those thoughts after met with Kurfürst. :)

Actually I managed how to take-off within a few try, but still can't land properly. "If" I can land, can't do it on the runway. :D I find myself on the soil or grass, upside-down!

Last night, I just tried Mustang, and everything was like butter. :P I saw that I could land Mustang like F-15 or Su-27. Then back to Kurfürst... My landing process is still under construction. :)

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

After about 20 takeoffs and landings, I find it pretty easy.

I closley monitor the turn indicator on both takeoffs and landings. It warns me in which direction the plane is going to turn. I correct with rudder (or diff brakes on landing) accordingly to prevent escalation.

Video of a short circuit, including takeoff and landing (I actually had a small emergency, but later it appeared that the button to start recording actually turned off the fuel pump :lol: :music_whistling:)

'Frett'

You're right, it's perfect! :) I envy. :D

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5

2 point landing

Yes another 2 point landing, problem is there is suppose to be 3 points touching the ground.

Oh, I could never do this again :doh:

Screen_150419_234924.thumb.jpg.c1c55bf5c9be32df95b2998b9980092f.jpg

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Hi guys...

When doing taxi, taking-off and landing, I lock the tail wheel. It's vital for me.

Especially if I don't lock the tail, I can't land in a straight line no matter what I do on rudder to get the plane in a line.

When should I lock the tail actually?

I think that is true for the concrete but when I'm landing in fields, un-locked seems to work best for me

Hmmm, that's something I only do in emergency :) but you're probably right...

But, is the DCS present physics for "fields" landing usable ?

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Hmmm, that's something I only do in emergency :) but you're probably right...

But, is the DCS present physics for "fields" landing usable ?

Yes. I take off and land in51 from fields all the time and did that once in the K4.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA