What motherboard to get?

I am in the process of building a new gaming rig, and currently shopping around for the motherboard.

I already purchased the CPU: Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

Based on the CPU and my wish to ultimately go SLI, I came up with this motherboard:

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97.

Right now, in my mind, that's my choice of motherboard unless convinced otherwise.

What is your recommendation for a motherboard that supports this CPU and supports SLI? What are the pro and cons?

Thanks.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Good mobo! Look like the same as the Gigabyte UD-7 TH.

I always look at the CPU power circuitry (overclocking), the expension slots and their positioning (my first video card use 3 slots), and the chipset (Z97). I use a sound card.

Personally, i prefer cheaper mobo. I mean, with less useless marketing stuff. :pain: For throwing it out the window in few years.

Nobody is perfect. :D

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

ASUS Maximus VII combined with my Devils Canyon and it ROCKS. I definitely would get the Maximus. OC'd my Devils Canyon to 4.6 stable.

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

MAXIMUS VII HERO

Expansion Slots 2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8, red)

Z97-WS

Expansion Slots 4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16/x8/x8 or quad x8 )

confusing really.

Edited by PureEvil

STEAM

asus p8z68-v gen3, 2600k@4,5ghz(w/c), 16gb, 1080ti(w/c), ch fighterstick/gvl224-4000-8, ch pro throttle, Oculus Rift CV1+Touch, thrustmaster tx

The only reason I didn't go with the Maximus was because it has miserable reviews on NewEgg and other sites: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132125&cm_re=ASUS_MAXIMUS_VII_HERO-_-13-132-125-_-Product

Instead, I went with the MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I went with the ASUS Z-97A. I'm running two GTX780 in SLI plus it gives you the ability to overclock. Just the basics and no whistles or bells that I wouldn't use. Good price as well.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Personally, i prefer cheaper mobo. I mean, with less useless marketing stuff. :pain:

Nobody is perfect. :D

I am not sure what you mean by that... I would like to save some money as well, but I've been out of the hardware loop for a rather long time and with these gaming motherboards, they all look strange to me. When I was in IT, motherboards didn't have to look "fancy". :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys.

I've added the MSI Z97-Gaming and ASUS Z97-A LGA mobos to my wishlist at Newegg in addition to the Hero. Time to compare.

In the meantime, I've ordered some RAM (G.SKILL Trident X Series DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)) and was wondering if any of these motherboards would work better with that particular type of RAM.... thoughts?

Thanks again.

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I'm running the Maximus VII Hero. Absolutely love it. Amazing BIOS, more than enough expansion and USB slots. Can't say enough good about it.

Dale

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I'm running the Maximus VII Hero. Absolutely love it. Amazing BIOS, more than enough expansion and USB slots. Can't say enough good about it.

Dale

Thanks. That's good to know :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Only one mistake, the only mobos who support PCIe 3.0 dual x16 are the X99. They have to justify their price. :D

Informations are not always reliable at some sites.

in my post above we can see that Z97-WS does it too, information is from the asus web site. strange that z97 game MB's don't have this feature, but workstation MB's do.

STEAM

asus p8z68-v gen3, 2600k@4,5ghz(w/c), 16gb, 1080ti(w/c), ch fighterstick/gvl224-4000-8, ch pro throttle, Oculus Rift CV1+Touch, thrustmaster tx

Yep! Even the info from Asus's site are not good.

so, in theory intel and asus both can be wrong or right lol how the hell we customers are suppose to know how to choose the right components :crash:

STEAM

so, in theory intel and asus both can be wrong or right lol how the hell we customers are suppose to know how to choose the right components :crash:

Intel makes the chipset so their information should be more solid than Asus..

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

should be

yeah, should be ))) the only proper way to find out how it really works, is to find some1 with this WS MB and ask him/her to test it with 2 cards.

STEAM

Interesting info, guys. Thanks a lot. :)

With my next paycheck, I'll get the motherboard.

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com