VOR no-Line-of-Sight reception bug

Huesudo

I was trying to do some VOR navigation on the UH-1, and stumbled upon a strange bug.

In real life, VORs (unlike NDBs) are line-of-sight dependant. If there is a hill, a large building or any other obstacle between the VOR station and the receiver, you won't receive the VOR signal.

It looks like in DCS that behavior is reversed. If you have line of sight with the station, you won't receive the signal, but if you move behind a mountain, you receive it just fine.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In beta 1.2.16 update1, at +30km from Kutaisi VOR, clear LOS, if altitude is higher than 150 meters/500 feet (aprox), signal lost from VOR.

Edit, max altitude before signal lost, 500mts/1500ft. Clear LOS, distance +100km

Edited by Tarres

In beta 1.2.16 update1, at +30km from Kutaisi VOR, clear LOS, if altitude is higher than 150 meters/500 feet (aprox), signal lost from VOR.

Edit, max altitude before signal lost, 500mts/1500ft. Clear LOS, distance +100km

What aircraft were you using?

UH-1H.

2nd test.

From the sea to Gelendzik. HDG:30, altitude:1000 meters/3000ft, distance:+100km

No VOR signal until the helicopter is below 500mts/1500ft at +110km

At 30KM from VOR, signal lost if I'm over 30meters/150ft.

I think there is something wrong with the LOS of VOR

In real world, if you have a TACAN station and a NAV/COMM receiver, you can only have distance indication. It's not realistic to have azimuth indication from a TACAN...

There are VOR station???

Edited by Hypnos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 7 months later...
From the sea to Gelendzik. HDG:30, altitude:1000 meters/3000ft, distance:+100km

No VOR signal until the helicopter is below 500mts/1500ft at +110km

At 30KM from VOR, signal lost if I'm over 30meters/150ft.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=148083

Seems it's consistent. The farther you are, the higher you should be to receive the signal. It's exactly the other way around. Same with mountain LOS it seems as in the thread above. It's inverted.

Hopefully they'll fix it soon. I always thought VOR doesn't work at all in DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

fixed with 1.5.2

Yep, they fixed it. Although I have an impression they overdid it. It's very hard to break LOS with VOR now. Not impossible, but damn hard. Anyway, I'll take this over previous version any day.

They've also added UHF presets in ME :-D Finally some Huey love.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, they fixed it. Although I have an impression they overdid it. It's very hard to break LOS with VOR now. Not impossible, but damn hard. Anyway, I'll take this over previous version any day.

They've also added UHF presets in ME :-D Finally some Huey love.

:) good to hear that. will test it

I think that the bug is still present in the Update1 (19/12) of the DCSW 2.0 Alpha.

Can anyone confirm this?

I also can't get VOR to work on the Huey with the latest 2.0 the way I can on 1.5.2. So it would seem so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...