DCS World 1.5 and 2 Discussion

Wags

New years video questions

So ED posted a nice long video for new years, it really shows off the new engine. Aside from the prettier graphics, there are a few things I noticed that left me with some questions.

To start, in the F-86 vs MiG-15 dogfight, (as well as F-15 vs MiG-21), I was able to see the opposing aircraft fairly easily even with the normal youtube compression. Is EDGE using a smart scaling method of some sort? It is a radical improvement over what we currently see. I love it but I'm curious on how it works.

Another thing I noticed is the clouds don't cast any shadows. Are clouds casting shadows a planned feature still being worked on or is that being skipped for now?

One final question is about the state it's in. We all know that December of 2014 was the target release date for both EDGE and the NTTR map, obviously that was missed. The video claims to be of a pre-alpha build instead of late alpha or a beta. That would suggest they are pretty far from release (as in years). But honestly they look fairly solid to me from that video, are they really that far off?

Overall the map/engine look gorgeous both on the deck and at height, that might be a flight sim first. DCS currently looks ok-ish from high up but is a bit trashy down low. RoF/BoS look great as long as you stay below 3km, but go above that and they are a lot less impressive. The video of NTTR looked just as good at 100m as it did at 7km. That's really something.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed,

Lens flare is a camera issue not an eyeball issue. :)

I was taken by the smoothness of the vid and wonder what the system specs are that ran the these tests?

Nice to see it coming along and I, like many others, can patiently wait for those pesky graphics anomalies to be resolved.

Well done DCS for a super 2014 and all the best for 2015.

Only a little bit of criticism if I may: That lens flare effect we see several times during the video will surely look great in external view, but has no place in cockpit! The cockpit view is supposed to simulate what you see with your eyes as a pilot, so no camera artifacts please!

One final question is about the state it's in. We all know that December of 2014 was the target release date for both EDGE and the NTTR map, obviously that was missed. The video claims to be of a pre-alpha build instead of late alpha or a beta. That would suggest they are pretty far from release (as in years). But honestly they look fairly solid to me from that video, are they really that far off?

The footage itself was from October.

• ED Team
So ED posted a nice long video for new years, it really shows off the new engine. Aside from the prettier graphics, there are a few things I noticed that left me with some questions.

To start, in the F-86 vs MiG-15 dogfight, (as well as F-15 vs MiG-21), I was able to see the opposing aircraft fairly easily even with the normal youtube compression. Is EDGE using a smart scaling method of some sort? It is a radical improvement over what we currently see. I love it but I'm curious on how it works.

Another thing I noticed is the clouds don't cast any shadows. Are clouds casting shadows a planned feature still being worked on or is that being skipped for now?

Overall the map/engine look gorgeous both on the deck and at height, that might be a flight sim first. DCS currently looks ok-ish from high up but is a bit trashy down low. RoF/BoS look great as long as you stay below 3km, but go above that and they are a lot less impressive. The video of NTTR looked just as good at 100m as it did at 7km. That's really something.

1- No, just improved rendering engine.

2- They do now, the video is from back in October. Clouds are better now.

3- Alpha means that all primary features are complete. At this time, they are not… there is still work to do on AI and effects in the map.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Do you have a link to that, Diveplane? Looks like it might be one I missed.

First post in this thread, 15th bullet under DCS World 2.

Better use of multiple GPUs (CPU multi-threading is not being pursued as it will provide little if any gain)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Do you have a link to that, Diveplane? Looks like it might be one I missed.

I'll see if I can find it as well, but Wags said that there wasn't much benefit from the work required to use 4+ cores. DCS is supposed to introduce support for SLI/XFIRE which should help a lot. (for those that are running multiple cards of course)

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

I'll see if I can find it as well, but Wags said that there wasn't much benefit from the work required to use 4+ cores. DCS is supposed to introduce support for SLI/XFIRE which should help a lot. (for those that are running multiple cards of course)

Running SLI here already, so they aren't introducing it...just improving it.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Heck I keep staring at the runway textures :)

Same.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Running SLI here already, so they aren't introducing it...just improving it.

CrossFire and SLi were never Actually Supported with the DX 9 Engine AFAIK.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Supported,or not it's been proven many times that it does make a difference. In my case allot in 3d. Granted it should work allot better with dcs 2.0 as it's officially supported now, but I have to ask are you guys talking to nvidia and ati to get new game profiles? Will save allot of negative banter on the forums upon release

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Holy hell, so I am getting 120 FPS with one 970, while having every slider in the settings to the absolute max and all shadows on?

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440