DCS World 1.5 and 2 Discussion

Wags

ok, here's a really stupid question because I guess I already know the answer. Can I have different versions of DCS World installed and not lose activations? My friend likely won't be able to play DCS World 2.0 since his video card doesn't support DX11 but I'd like to play with him online using DCS World 1.2.??. Of course, I'd want V2.0 installed as well for me.

You can have every version that you desire installed under the same activation. I think ten installs is the most I have ever had but the only limit would be disk space.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think clouds are still WIP. I was checking out ASX for FSX with the detailed weather modelling and stuff. Man!! I don't think even DCS 2.0 will be that open for modders to plug in real life weather modelling. But the possibility would be awesome. I think EDs aim would be to build a community as big as the FSX one for DCS. It would be nice if the community can model more graphics/physics in the upcoming engine.

Id love more detailed weather effects in DCS. To me thats the single most overlooked thing in all flight sims but nothing beats the immersion if done right. After all the sky is where we spend most of our time in this sim right? :) I already feel ED have done quite a lot in that regard (even in the current DCS World) but the bad weather/storm clouds still need a lot of work. We will see what EDGE brings but what I would love to see are the huge storm front cumulous clouds that dont feel like a 'layer' and stretch along storm fronts for miles (in all directions). It would be great if you could start up and fly in sunny weather and then enter a huge and imposing storm front (or go around it). It would add a lot to immersion and not to mention to the tactical opportunities in a combat environment. Some day maybe...

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Id love more detailed weather effects in DCS. To me thats the single most overlooked thing in all flight sims but nothing beats the immersion if done right. After all the sky is where we spend most of our time in this sim right? :) I already feel ED have done quite a lot in that regard (even in the current DCS World) but the bad weather/storm clouds still need a lot of work. We will see what EDGE brings but what I would love to see are the huge storm front cumulous clouds that dont feel like a 'layer' and stretch along storm fronts for miles (in all directions). It would be great if you could start up and fly in sunny weather and then enter a huge and imposing storm front (or go around it). It would add a lot to immersion and not to mention to the tactical opportunities in a combat environment. Some day maybe...

That's already possible. In fact everything you mentioned is possibly with the exception of rendering cumulonimbus clouds.

Have you actually spent any amount of time in the ME playing around with the standard and dynamic weather systems?

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

That's already possible. In fact everything you mentioned is possibly with the exception of rendering cumulonimbus clouds.

Have you actually spent any amount of time in the ME playing around with the standard and dynamic weather systems?

Im not familiar enough with the ME (nor do I really have the required time to get to know it intimately, I barely have enough time to get in the air a few times a week) to do much with it.

I have tried setting up quick missions with varying degrees of success with regards to weather etc, but I have not yet encountered what I described originally. Still its good to know its there :thumbup:

Perhaps you could point me in the right direction, maybe I can download some missions (or maybe an online server with the right conditions) where I could check this out?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Perhaps you could point me in the right direction, maybe I can download some missions (or maybe an online server with the right conditions) where I could check this out?

place the attached file in to:

C:\Users\your own user\Saved Games\DCS\MissionEditor\weather\dynamic

then when in mission editor select weather tab from left panel and then on the right panel click on dynamic weather. after that look on the right panel at the bottom you will see a dropdown list with some presets... pick weather variety then press the "open" symbol to the right to load it. now put some plane then start the mission and switch between airports with F12 key to see different weather on many of them.

play with the settings

This is from a thread around here... I'll search it for you.

I attach a screenshot also but has captions in a "strange language"... excuse it :)

edit

and here is the thread in question

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=82610&highlight=weather+variety

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

it's hard to say, since edge includes depth of field effect which may result in the less-detailed (blur) mountain texture (guess).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

it's hard to say, since edge includes depth of field effect which may result in the less-detailed (blur) mountain texture (guess).

We have also been told that the detail level is not consistent throughout the map.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

We have also been told that the detail level is not consistent throughout the map.

Oh yep, I forgot that. But Im still curious about the depth of field effect in EDGE and hope there can be a video for demonstration.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

source? if so, that's useless IMHO.

It was stated that it will be toggle-able. I would consider it a silly amount of work to enable an effect only during the screenshot process.

It was stated that it will be toggle-able. I would consider it a silly amount of work to enable an effect only during the screenshot process.

hmm, if it's enabled during the flight, how would it affect the dogfight if switch view between close instrument and far-away target frequently (will there be a blur->sharp view delay). cant wait to test :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hmm, if it's enabled during the flight, how would it affect the dogfight if switch view between close instrument and far-away target frequently (will there be a blur->sharp view delay). cant wait to test :)

I would imagine it is disabled completely in the 'F1' view.

I would imagine it is disabled completely in the 'F1' view.

yep, I'm afraid it will be. But if that effect is for screenshot purpose only, I would be disappointed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]