DCS World 1.5 and 2 Discussion

Wags

DCS "World" minus the capacity to stitch maps moving it a step closer to an actual world? They won't tell you but I'm betting on "can". ED would eventually self destruct if they didn't think that was paramount.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too much work during the last couple of days, so I'd like to get back to these older posts.

edit: but: how could Matt manage that: looking back while flying with about topspeed under those high voltages wires?????????

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. My guess is that he did it in several steps:

a) Perform the flight, save track

b) Replay the track but take control of the views

c) If not already done in b), record video of track from b)

At least I'm hoping he doesn't make a habit of looking back during NOE flights. :music_whistling:

No one really talking about these, I cant wait to play "Find the BMP" :D

[images of Dubai]

Haha, yeah, I already hate every mission designer that uses these tiny islands to hide any kind of threat and/or target. :D

Also looking forward to some VIP taxi flights where we have to land atop the Burj Al Arab. :thumbup:

Any testers who are playing around with EDGE..maybe even Wags...in the recent F-15 video from Mudspike website, I noticed that the cockpit shake/buffeting while the F-15 is rolling down the runway/taxiing seems minimal. Are the cockpit shake effects still in process of being implemented? Ever since the Mig 21 release, I notice most aircraft in current DCS have the cockpit shake implemented in some form at high AOA, stall speeds..and sometimes touchdown. Although, only the Mig 21 Leatherneck have got it spot on in terms on how it feels. Will this be added to the other flyables in 2.0?

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Well, technically EDGE was supposed to be 1.3.0 , after 1.2.9 they went 1.2.10 , 1.2.11 , 1.2.12 , 1.2.13 , 1.2.14 and so on ... so don't worry about that.

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think we'll get new patches for each module that will be released before EDGE comes out. Some of them will have bug fixes, but I guess not too many sim engine fixes but more module fixes.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

...ED ran into the issue with maximum number of objects in the current engine, perhaps with EDGE...

Frame rate is very smooth everywhere :thumbup:

because DX11 gives plus 400% FPS than DX9 :bounce:

i quote my earlier post ▲, so with EDGE the maximum number of objects and the FPS wont be a problem

i already did many test/benchmark with DX9 vs. DX11 settings in various applications (unfortunatly not with EDGE yet :D), and the conclusion was the +400% FPS with DX11

DX9: 20FPS

DX11: amazing 100FPS ! :thumbup:

sign-pic4.jpg

i quote my earlier post ▲, so with EDGE the maximum number of objects and the FPS wont be a problem

i already did many test/benchmark with DX9 vs. DX11 settings in various applications (unfortunatly not with EDGE yet :D), and the conclusion was the +400% FPS with DX11

DX9: 20FPS

DX11: amazing 100FPS ! :thumbup:

erm... That's either 500%, or you'd get 80FPS in DX11

Sorry for being pedantic.

well, i dont like the "forgotten maps" idea

would be nice to expend some time on the old maps - Crimea too

to change/swap of building/tree models to new objects is easy, to make the terrain mesh more detailed/accurate is also not too difficult imho

I'm with you here. I still like the old map and I'd love to see it being converted to DCSW2 standard. Don't know about ED, but I'd be happy with a 3rd party dev doing it, and I'd have no problems with paying for it (not a full price of a new map though).

i think the Caucasus map will remain the only-one free/teaser map for DCSW2 with the su-25t and with the tf-51d aircrafts, so the map will need a future update just like the old su-25t cockpit what already got the updated new 6dof cabin model

That's true, the old map won't impress newcomers anywhere near as much as NTTR would. So unless ED wants to release NTTR as free content too... ;)

However, I'm willing to bet that ED will hold back the DCSW2 release until NTTR is finished. They will want to demonstrate EDGE capabilities on purpose built map, not on a ported one.

erm... That's either 500%, or you'd get 80FPS in DX11

Sorry for being pedantic.

No, he meant 400% gain, that is the original 20FPS + 80FPS more. So he is right.

Sorry for being pedantic as well. :P

I think we'll get new patches for each module that will be released before EDGE comes out. Some of them will have bug fixes, but I guess not too many sim engine fixes but more module fixes.

Well, technically EDGE was supposed to be 1.3.0 , after 1.2.9 they went 1.2.10 , 1.2.11 , 1.2.12 , 1.2.13 , 1.2.14 and so on ... so don't worry about that.

I agree but since they're still working on EDGE/DCS 2.0 a 1.2.xx to clear up some already fixed bugs would be great until they finish their work on EDGE/DCS 2.0, just a thought.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

I thought I read that bug fixes where going to happen after 2.0 because all hands were on deck for 2.0. I can't remember if it was just someone speculating this though.

You might be right, maybe the next news letter will provide some insight.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

However, I'm willing to bet that ED will hold back the DCSW2 release until NTTR is finished. They will want to demonstrate EDGE capabilities on purpose built map, not on a ported one.

I don't think this is the case because I watched a froogle video that seems to state otherwise. In the video Froogle says DCS World 2 is free and ED want a public Alpha to test it. I might be wrong but could they sell the NTTR map while DCS World 2 is being Alpha tested? I hope so, but I'm not sure.

Don't know about you guys but I do hope the open alpha or whatever it's called comes out asap for the current map. Current map looks bad ass with that way better grass, clouds and graphic improvements from dx11. I really enjoy the current map and from what ice seen from screen shots and videos it's an awesome facelift just with those couple of changes.

Bring on the lush grass !!

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Don't know about you guys but I do hope the open alpha or whatever it's called comes out asap for the current map. Current map looks bad ass with that way better grass, clouds and graphic improvements from dx11. I really enjoy the current map and from what ice seen from screen shots and videos it's an awesome facelift just with those couple of changes.

Bring on the lush grass !!

Sky is my pet subject http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=54159 and with EDGE it finally looks like actual Earth's sky, not something you could only find on another planet. And from what I saw it didn't look like just a color fix. Rather a proper visualization model taking into account both the atmosphere characteristics and the true nature of light. And so, I would gladly install DCS 2.0 today even if it had a Commodore-like flat wireframe as a placeholder for the terrain!

The improvements in lighting are so pronounced that even the old assets look much better in 2.0 so I'm with you as far as the old map goes.

High resolution ground mesh is going to be the best feature. All the new objects, effects, and props will be lovely but smoothing out the pyramids will make a huge difference.

That is something we will not get for the current map.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

just think animated grass, not sure if the crimean map will have these features, but i have seen it in other development videos,

really hope the animations are affected with rotor downwash , and jet thrust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Hnq-ZmPGw

I think we really need the "effect" of jet engines/thrust/rotor downwash properly represented on grass, dust, water in 2.0. We currently have that sad looking 2D effect of smoke/water in TFCSE.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

High resolution ground mesh is going to be the best feature. All the new objects, effects, and props will be lovely but smoothing out the pyramids will make a huge difference.
That is something we will not get for the current map.

come on Cichlidfan :huh:

you know that's only a few click in 3dsmax :smilewink:

sign-pic4.jpg

just think animated grass

already possible :)

however the grass visualization is related to parts of the map but the (bending) animation of the grass (or trees) is not

(we) already did some very interesting and nice tests with the current engine a time ago with extremly dense grass as well, but with using dx9 the framerate was too low, unfortunately

sign-pic4.jpg

I meant high resolution ground mesh would be my favorite feature in POST DCS 2.0/EDGE maps.

Now it would be so awesome if ED made the old map sources available to a qualified and enthusiastic group to upgrade gratis. Yeah get the group to sign NDA on the tools whatever it takes to get the old map EDGIFIED.

Bohemia made all their Arma2 maps available under a license that allowed modders to edit and make available derivatives BUT only for Arma3. All the old Arma maps are now appearing in wonderful shiny new forms.

For DCS a tiny map with a portion of South Ossetia would be interesting. People have been doing that with the Arma maps. Some have been making micro-maps and filling them full of detail. It is interesting to track even though I haven't logged into play for a while.