DCS World 1.5 and 2 Discussion

Wags

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
To be fair, "improved graphical effects" isn't really specific.

Too be fair, the question has been asked about 50 times in this thread and what we know is they are going to improve effects, that not all of them may be done by the initial release....

... for the 51st time. ;)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

To be fair, "improved graphical effects" isn't really specific.

Yes it's a general statement. But then again they are making a new image renderer, stands to reason that when they write "improved graphical effects" they mean just that exactly. Improved effects accross the board (probably not everything at launch) eventually, but I doubt we will get a more specific answer until release.

*edit* sniped by Sith ;)

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Yes it's a general statement. But then again they are making a new image renderer, stands to reason that when they write "improved graphical effects" they mean just that exactly. Improved effects accross the board (probably not everything at launch) eventually, but I doubt we will get a more specific answer until release.

*edit* sniped by Sith ;)

True and all. But sith and others need to realize new people are coming to dcs world and they are playing catchup. Also the videos and screen shots that have come out don't show any new terminal graphical effects, so one would imagine they are very much work in progress and eventually they will be shown.

My suggestion is to make a thread title or some other portion of the forums labeled newcomers read all this and they will be caught up and nobody will feel bad when similar questions are asked a million times.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

My suggestion is to make a thread title or some other portion of the forums labeled newcomers read all this and...

There is not a font large enough to make that work.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yeah, it says graphical effects. People ask about explosions, contrails, chemtrails ( :D ), heat blur, grass moving, dust, etc.

And yes, probably ALL of them will be better than now.

It is like in The Simpsons when Homer watches "Aliens ate everybody". The whole dialogue of the movie is something like this:

- But they didn't eat Jack?

- Yes they did! They ate everyone!

- And what about Jill?

- They ate everyone!

- Not little Bobby!?

- THEY ATE EVERYONE!!!

:D

• ED Team
True and all. But sith and others need to realize new people are coming to dcs world and they are playing catchup. Also the videos and screen shots that have come out don't show any new terminal graphical effects, so one would imagine they are very much work in progress and eventually they will be shown.

My suggestion is to make a thread title or some other portion of the forums labeled newcomers read all this and they will be caught up and nobody will feel bad when similar questions are asked a million times.

Or they could learn a good tip is to always read the OP first, it clearly states better effects are coming. I am not sure how asking if effects are going to change is a good question when it clearly states this in the OP. Explosions are effects... do I need to do the math?

No matter how many times we post info for people, I will guarantee it will be ignored and redundant questions will be asked... and I WISH I could say it was "new" people doing it...

Now, back on topic.... and yes, effects are getting reworked, just incase any new people were wondering.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Or they could learn a good tip is to always read the OP first, it clearly states better effects are coming. I am not sure how asking if effects are going to change is a good question when it clearly states this in the OP. Explosions are effects... do I need to do the math?

No matter how many times we post info for people, I will guarantee it will be ignored and redundant questions will be asked... and I WISH I could say it was "new" people doing it...

Now, back on topic.... and yes, effects are getting reworked, just incase any new people were wondering.

somebody lost faith in humanity? :D nah, just kidding... i have to say tho, both NTTR and EDGE looks really nice... only thing is the quality of the terrain.. still not as good as x-plane :cry:

Multi-Core is Possible in DCS

As I was perusing my latest issue of "Boot Magazine", for those who remember fondly the beginning of our Passion. Of course it is now titled Maximum PC. I came across an interesting article on a start up company that is (as they say) capable of running older software on a new chip that changes the instructions to a multi core format, this being done "On the Fly" will allow DCS and other software code to run in a multi core environment with these new chips sans recoding. With an on the fly loss of just 5% (FPS/Speed) this is quite doable for our Beloved DCS Titles.

Several PC mags. and website have covered the story, in case U missed it.

A few articles have mentioned that they are "Well Funded" for those looking to invest, I am sure the shares are being snapped up as u read this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/visc-virtual-cores-cpu-performance,27958.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2838018/stealthy-startup-soft-machines-launches-virtual-cpu-cores-that-trounce-traditional-processors.html

Edited by AtaliaA1

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Me thinks you will change your mind when you get to play around with it yourself. :thumbup: :D

Stop teasing like this ! :(

Wait ...

Nevermind, just do it actually :thumbup:

... I don't know what is better to be honest ... Gnniiiiiii :joystick:

:D

HW : 4790K @4.6 / GTX 1080ti 11GB / 16 GB / Asus ROG Formula VI / Acer Predator 32" 4K Gsync / X-55 Rhino / Oculus Rift-S / TrackIR

• Combined Arms/Supercarrier/Nevada TTR/Persian Gulf/Normandy
  • F-16C/FA-18C/AV-8B Harrier/F5-TigerII/SA342-Gazelle/M2000-C/L-39 Albatros/C-101/MiG-21/F-86F Sabre/Mi-8MTV2/UH-1H Huey/A-10C Warthog/Black Shark 2/Flaming Cliff 3/Hawk T1A(RIP)
  • WWII : Spitfire/Bf-109 Kurfurst/Fw-190 Dora/P-51D Mustang

DCS 2 should address the multi-core / gpu utilization aspect to a satisfactory extent.

Umm no... As has been stated about 1000 times, DCS 2.0 does NOT support multi-core and will not in the near future. It DOES support MULTI GPU's, but not Multi CORES...

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Umm no... As has been stated about 1000 times, DCS 2.0 does NOT support multi-core and will not in the near future. It DOES support MULTI GPU's, but not Multi CORES...

Well with the utilization of sli that sort of solves the whole multi core delema since the processor is being freed up since more is now going to gpus. Don't think multicore would make much difference In this sim.

Interesting article though. I believe Dcs 2.0 performywl be more on wether you have good gpus. Not so much the processor.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

The one component of multi-core CPU support that hasn't been addressed is mission hosting or dedicated servers. I completely understand why DX11 and multi-GPU support is the real issue for graphics performance. However, in my experience with mission hosting, the CPU appears to be where taxation takes place. (e.g. number of units, units spawning, unit actions, etc). I have certainly maxed out the performance of my CPU on my DS hardware with large missions. Again, I'm talking large missions here.

I'm very interested in how DCS' Dedicated Server (an announced capability for DCS 2) will address this. If the calc for mission units is moving to be handled by GPUs, great. I just haven't heard anything addressing this at all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.mudspike.com/qa-with-matt-wagner-producer-eagle-dynamics/

Can you update us on progress towards DCS World 2? In what quarter might we expect a release?

The team is working very hard on DCS World 2, with the primary focus on the new graphics engine. DCS World 2 is in pre-alpha, internal testing but we hope to make it available for open Alpha testing in the first half of this year. I am leery to give a quarter, much less a day, because we continue to find new blocking bugs during internal testing and finding new ways to improve the product. I can assure you that no one wants to release DCS World 2 to the world more than the Eagle Dynamics team. However, we see no point in doing so if there are blocking-level bugs that make it unplayable.

short version: when its ready

Why on earth would a brand new engine not support multiple cores?

Because it is f****g complicated.

EDGE is perhaps "brand new" but it does not exist in a vacuum. It still has to run within DCS - with all the good and the bad that might stem from this.

EDGE, with its DX11 support, will already boost the performance quite a bit, afaik, for whatever the technology behind it might be (multicore support, multi gpu support, whatever). But ED stated that multicore support for the EDGE graphics engine itself would not really gain much in terms of a performance boost.

The sim around EDGE could perhaps benefit from utilizing multiple cores. But that is not the focus of DCS2 (and even less the responsibility of a graphics engine).

It would probably require a complete(!) rewrite - from scratch(!) - of the sim to utilize multiple cores effectively. The result would probably not be "DCS 2" or "DCS 3" but something entirely different.

Tech demo

Has ED considered a "view only" tech demo tool for World 2 engine? Suffice to say the long release as lead to great expectations. My concern is that many of us are headed towards disappointment in terms of how well the engine will run on our hardware. There are many threads about people preparing new PCs specifically for DCS, but we are really all left throwing darts in the dark.

Similar to how Microsoft releases hardware experience tools prior to a new major OS releases, could a demo be released which would allow no control, and simply run a short 30 second "flight" with an FPS indicator to give us an idea of performance?

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

• ED Team
Has ED considered a "view only" tech demo tool for World 2 engine? Suffice to say the long release as lead to great expectations. My concern is that many of us are headed towards disappointment in terms of how well the engine will run on our hardware. There are many threads about people preparing new PCs specifically for DCS, but we are really all left throwing darts in the dark.

Similar to how Microsoft releases hardware experience tools prior to a new major OS releases, could a demo be released which would allow no control, and simply run a short 30 second "flight" with an FPS indicator to give us an idea of performance?

I am sure that would just be extra work that would take away from the current task of getting it out the door, in the mean time, Wags seems happy to share the occasional vid.

64Sig.png

There are many threads about people preparing new PCs specifically for DCS, but we are really all left throwing darts in the dark.?

I'm in the same boat but... if you're going to upgrade, primarily for DCS, you should hold off until it is released. It's tempting to buy it now but you'll be far better off waiting.

1)No need to think about it now.

2)Hardware gets better as time passes.

3)You'll be on the bleeding edge once DCS does ship.

Resist the urge to upgrade...

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

DCS World 2.0 System specs?

Just wondering if ED or anyone can provide any hints as to the system requirements of the upcoming DCS 2.0?

For example:

GPU: Higher/Lower

CPU: Higher/Lower

Memory: Higher/Lower

Thanks for any replies, though I know it's a long shot before it's out :)

Edit: I see my thread was moved, and now I see others wondering the same thing :)

Edited by bn880

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Kind of in the same boat. I guess the key will be to avoid upgrading until the Alpha is out to see what's what. (I guess unless something drastic happens the alpha will be within 10% of the final performance)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]