DCS World 1.5 and 2 Discussion

Wags

Not the cost speculation again! :doh:

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they should charge good for the NTTR map. It's in all our interest that ED is profitable if we want them to keep up this work. You have to remember that flight sims are niche products, it's not Call of Duty selling millions of copies.

I think they should charge $50 for NTTR. It's nothing in relation to the hours of enjoyment that we will get from it.

you have to remember that, lower price=more sales ^^ Seeking balance is key here. Also buying maps leads to modules and dlc campaigns, id say nervousenergy is right. (I mean, not give it away, but sell actually cheaper than most estimations)

Edited by felthat

I honestly think the map should be free, even if its a lot of work and cost the company.

But they should share the costs on the planes modules. Would you honestly buy a normandy map if you don't have any WW2 birds.

Or go on NTTR just if you have a WW2 plane ?

I honestly think the map should be free, even if its a lot of work and cost the company.

But they should share the costs on the planes modules. Would you honestly buy a normandy map if you don't have any WW2 birds.

I think I would after all this hype.

Off to the Reno air races with your P51 or Mosquito Racer :pilotfly:

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

hmm,since 2.0 is near coming
It is "near" since 2 years or so. So I don't really understand all the hype about it, only because some thread was moved.

ED did a great job in keeping up the notion that EDGE and NTTR are somewhat near. Only this doesn't work so well anymore after so long time.

I don't mind waiting longer, I just have given up to get hyped because of some meaningless hint of "nearing completion" which meant nothing at all in the last times. Frankly I don't understand why ED does this. Wouldn't have hurt anybody to tell us "soon" when it is indeed right around the corner.

Since we now learnt "soon" and "last 10 percent" can mean anything, I don't care anymore for all their teasing.

Just wake me up when it's done.

I think charging for maps is the wrong move. It's going to hurt the online community the most - especially new players. Having some people have some maps and not others will essentially fracture the player base and reduce the amount of servers that people can play in together. Having a strong multiplayer community will be key for DCS to be successful as word of mouth gets around about how great DCS is to play with friends online. Hopefully ED can make free maps for everyone a viable option financially.

I think charging for maps is the wrong move. It's going to hurt the online community the most - especially new players.

So you think they should give away new maps for free? That's crazy.

We're a community that spends thousands of dollars on PCs and hundreds on peripherals. I don't see people not purchasing a map and if they don't it won't break MP. We actually talked about this at length in the 476th and for the life of me I can't see any "serious" MP player (or SP) not purchasing new maps when they are released.

Indeed. And there are quite a significant number of simmers out there who would spend more money on things like maps and other add-ons than aircraft modules. Me being one of them.

For example, I haven't purchased anything from ED at full price since the A-10C (and I've only picked up CA in a sale) because nothing interests me, and I know quite a few who are the same. But I wouldn't think twice about spending USD60 on a good theatre.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Indeed. And there are quite a significant number of simmers out there who would spend more money on things like maps and other add-ons than aircraft modules. Me being one of them.

Me too. If ED are producing a new graphics engine and working on future modules and maps then some recompense for the work that adds to our beloved Sim is necessary. This is surely a fundamental requirement in any business, the ability to grow through sales.

I would also pay for addon/plugin advanced ATC and AWACS :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was expecting/guessing that the maps would be the same price as modules and I believe they should be paid for their back breaking hard work.

However there is a dilemma for ED.

This is the best flight sim out there and it will soon be the first with Direct X 11 (or it will join a very small DX11 club).

When potential customers come to try DCS world 2 will they get the free DCS world 2 download with a compatible map ensuring Potential Customer Wow factor and thus ensuring future module sales?

Or will they get DCS World 2 Free download with the Georgia map (which will show some benefits of DCS2) to wow potential customers?

tough one that.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I'm under the impression that the Sim community is a heterogeneous group of wide age range, personal interests, vocations, economic background, AND varying degrees of passion for this pastime. For many, pastimes and hobbies are important "getaways" and "releases" and are quality of life issues. All of which factor in to what it's WORTH to the individual.

I for one am snagged by the short hairs by this THIS Sim and would pay lots more to keep it coming with regards to purchases, ongoing refinements, and updates.

I'll share this fantasy, which is not practical for many reasons and would surely evoke some sharp criticism. In my case, its the UH-1h.

What if a sizable group of enthusiasts pitched in and generated an incentive package (or commitment to purchase) to get Belsimtek to address in earnest the Huey Bug and Wish list. It would still cost me much less than a set of golf cubs.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

I think charging for maps is the wrong move. It's going to hurt the online community the most - especially new players. Having some people have some maps and not others will essentially fracture the player base and reduce the amount of servers that people can play in together. Having a strong multiplayer community will be key for DCS to be successful as word of mouth gets around about how great DCS is to play with friends online. Hopefully ED can make free maps for everyone a viable option financially.

This, I think a lot of people are forgetting this factor.

Fracturing the playerbase is a massive risk when releasing maps as DLC. Now for many people here it won't really matter as you will buy everything anyway and have no issues with compatability. It is important to realize that these people do not represent the majority, and are not where the money mostly comes from.

If someone picks up any module right now, he can play online with everyone else as well as download and play any usermade missions. Hell, even with just the Su25T you still have full access to online servers without investing at all.

Now imagine in the future when there's multiple maps, all of which you have to pay for. Suddenly somebody who discovers DCS and decides to purchase the Rafale finds that he is unable to join multiplayer servers because he does not have map X.

Maybe he decides to buy it, the online mission switches to map Y and a message comes up "You do not own this map content, connection interrupted". In the same way, you will be significantly more restricted when looking for usermade content.

It would be a massive obstacle when it comes to attracting new players into the game, as it will essentially force you to buy at the very least all the maps, in order to make proper use of the online part of the game. Either that or the servers would have to limit themselves to only running the free maps, in which case everybody loses. Either way you are raising the investment required in order to get into the game.

Now clearly with just the NTTR terrain this wouldn't yet be a tremendous issue, but more maps are lined up and it's a problem that should ideally be tackled before it can start affecting the growth of the game.

I have the feeling that the NTTR map (you really can't call it a "theatre") will sooner or later become the free DCS World map. Maybe along with a few more of the FC3 aircraft. After all it would be perfect for showing off the sim to new customers and for letting them test run the TF-51, the SU-25T and maybe the F-15 (why hold on to it when the F/A-18 is released?). For playing a real war you would need some other map anyway.

Beyond that, I agree with the previous poster in that there probably is a risk of fragmentation and chaos online...

Beyond that, I agree with the previous poster in that there probably is a risk of fragmentation and chaos online...

I absolutely don't.

As long as there is more than one server online, there will always be fragmentation.

If I have map A, I will join servers playing map A. Where is the chaos??

There isn't any more confusion as at its current state. I may join a server to find out that my preferred a/c isn't playable in the played mission. That can happen today and it will happen in the future. So everything will work out as usual.

I can't see any "serious" MP player (or SP) not purchasing new maps when they are released.

Or at least at sales and flash sales.

Another possibility would be to have the base map without objects or with simple generic ones and/or low rez terrain for free and the full feature with money.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I don't think this will be too much of an issue. We've had the caucasus for so many years that I'm positive 80% or more of the community will be buying Nevada. This isn't BF3 or BF4 with DLC's been released every month so I don't think there's need to worry.

We will most likely have a proper server browser as well so that should tighten the gap.

RimOnBlue.png

F/A-18C - A-10C - FC3 - L-39C/ZA - Ka-50 - UH-1H - Mi-8MTV2 - F-86F - Spitfire - P-51D - P-47D - BF-109K - CA

We'll have to wait and see if ED takes that issue seriously though, there are certainly things they can do to alleviate the problem. One would be bundling the maps together with the purchase of plane modules for instance, or providing discounts for the maps when bought together with planes.

Considering the frequency and pricing of sales, the list price of the map is really a non-issue, IMHO.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Considering the frequency and pricing of sales, the list price of the map is really a non-issue, IMHO.

Totally, the sales they do are pretty awesome and make for great opportunities to jump in on things as a new player.

I guess I was more aiming for a permanent easy entry into the game. Rather than 'wait for sale' to always be the best option. Plenty of time left for all of that though, we'll see what happens.