SU25 Wheel Brakes

mrmertz

While in the take off training mode and having a trusty pair of CH Porducts rudder peddles at my feet as soon as my taxi speed increased I throttled back and instinctively went for the toe brakes. Haha...not on this thing. Then went and hit the keyboard letter "W" one time quick. Nope. Then went in from the training screen and cleared the "W" key and mapped it to a joystick button. Nope.

Does the SU25 just seem to take forever to anyone else just to come to a gravity roll stop? I don't notice any difference in braking whatsoever whether it's the designated W key or anything else. Usually in other aircraft there is a noticeable pitch forward and downward on strut compression when applying braking, or am I looking at this all wrong? Is this more like a parking brake applied to the main gear? If so, I still don't notice any slowing.

Looking for on/off speed control for taxing and coming to complete stops at holds on taxiways but this thing just seems to roll forever no matter what! Almost flipped on side once due to inability to scrub off excessive speed while doing the old "turn right here to line up for the runway" bit.

Does any other input or key work or is this just the way this thing works in real life? Perhaps taxi speed should be kept below a certain number in order for them to work and engage in the first place or they won't engage? I don't see how one could blow a front tire...mine spins free until I either bounce into something or it just comes to a gravity resistance roll stop.

Sorry to make a mountain out of a molehill here! I just can't seem to scrub off speed and stop this thing while on the ground! :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

Using the chute helps, of course, but when you hold down the wheel brake button at high speed, it seems as though the wheel brakes just aren't doing anything. Even touching down at the beginning of the longer runways, I always run out of runway if I try to stop without using the drag chute. That's not very realistic if you ask me. I think their effectiveness is borked.

The break is not very powerful. This is expected. Don't taxi too fast and rely on the chute for stopping when landing. You will not stop on a dime in the Su-25(T) using the wheel brake. I just replied to your other thread too. I think you are riding the break way to hard at the beginning of your landing and bursting the tire (overheating probably; hot brakes are a real concern) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhi3DfEB_yc

Edited by xaoslaad

I took a few laps in the pattern with the SU-25T and I was able to land and stop with only wheel brakes in about 6000 feet, based on the airfield diagram for the airport I was using, and then pressing F2 and zooming out to estimate the distance after stopping.

I was an air traffic controller in the Marine Corps and I remember regularly seeing F-18s (no drag chute or reverse thrust) landing on the 9000' runway at MCAS Futenma and being down to taxi speed less than half way down the runway, so being generous, I will say they needed only 4500' to come to a stop. Are the SU-25T brakes really that bad compared to other fighters?

• 2 months later...