KC-135 boom logic needs reworking

Huesudo

On tanker aircraft equipped with a flying boom, like the KC-135 and the KC-10, the receiving aircraft flies within a box behind and below the tanker, and it is the boom operator who moves the boom up, down, sideways, and extends and retracts it. This makes refueling easier for the receiving pilot, as he only has to fly in close formation with the tanker without having to chase the tiny drogue.

In DCS, The KC-135 will only retract the boom if in danger of crashing it against the receiving aircraft (or won't retract it at all, as happens with the F-15), and will never extend it to reach for the receiving aircraft, even if it is perfectly within reach.

Also, the director lights below the tanker are quite dim and difficult to see unless the camera is zoomed in, which makes keeping formation much more difficult.

Because of this, aerial refueling with the A-10 or the F-15 is much harder than it should.

We know about this sir, it is being worked on!

It only happens in Single Player or as the Host of a mission.

If you connect to the tanker as a client in an MP mission the boom operator does extend and retract the boom as he should.

Hopefully the Single Player / host issue will be fixed soon!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Hopefully one day down the line we can have a DCS KC135 & DCS KC-10 along with lots of other big jets!

There certainly is a market for it, and it would pull in a lot of people who fly Flight Sim online etc.

Be a nice change from killing people :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

;2261602']We know about this sir, it is being worked on!

It only happens in Single Player or as the Host of a mission.

If you connect to the tanker as a client in an MP mission the boom operator does extend and retract the boom as he should.

Hopefully the Single Player / host issue will be fixed soon!

Good to hear. I'll try it on multiplayer.

Did you host the mission and then fly as the host or did you connect to someone elses server?

If you hosted it yourself, it doesnt work... it acts the same as Single Player.

You have to actually connect to another server that you are not hosting... eg the Virtual Aerobatics server.

The boom operator makes contact with my aircraft within 2-3 seconds of both lights being centred... as a client.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 months later...

Pardon for the late-ness getting to this thread but I've been trying to do some Air2Air refueling lately and just cannot do it. I have tried while hosting mission in multiplayer and I have tried in single player missions. This issue you talk about in this thread; is it still an issue?