Chuck's Guides - DCS Tutorial Library

Charly_Owl

5 hours ago, Charly_Owl said:

Hi folks,

I've been neglecting the Hornet for a few months now, but since I had a little bit of time during February I decided to pick up the slack and bring it up to snuff. I believe more features are planned to be released with the incoming DCS 2.7 version, but I think I'll wait a bit before including them. 

See first post for link.

Changelog (4/03/2021):

• Re-arranged radar section
  • Added GMT radar mode (with relevant Maverick tutorial)
  • Added SEA radar mode (with relevant Harpoon tutorial)
  • Added MGRS Grid
  • Added new JHMCS section
  • Added AZ/EL page functionalities
  • Added Auto IFF
  • Added ECM tutorial
  • Added TXSG (Transmit-Designate) option
  • Corrected Waypoint coordinate entry format
  • Fixed multiple typos and errors

The page count went from 540 to 620+ pages... but I know it will eventually keep growing as Eagle Dynamics eventually finishes the F/A-18. If you guys still have any suggestions, recommendations or corrections, please let me know.

Dear Chuck

Thanks for the effort. It´s much appreciated by the entire community. But I´m a little confused about JSOW/JDAM procedure related to the QTY OSB. Is it necessary? I never used it, and several videos  (Spudnocker, Grim Reapers, Overkill, Redkite and several other serious DCS enthusiasts) teach the procedure without mention the use of this function. Or it is outdated?

Very, very good job, thanks Chuck 👍

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

Hi,

Could you check those points :

F/A-18C Part 10 Laser guided bomb page 391/626

- Lower left image label 23  : is it not label 34?

- Point 31. : Auto lase when TRIG unbox. Is it not the opposite? I try with TRIG boxed and auto lase is working.

Very nice work, keep on going.

Vincent

Edit : my mistake, auto lase is working with TRIG boxed or unboxed.

Edited by vctpil

IAMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.7 to 4.8Ghz - 32Go DDR4 3600Mhz - GeForce RTX 3080 - Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED - AIMXY

• 3 weeks later...

A BIG THANK YOU!

(and a couple of suggestions?)

Hey! Chuck, Just wanted to say a very warm and personal thank you for your incredible work (all guides!!! I have consulted many!!).  I am having so much pleasure learning the F-18C with your guide right now and I must say, besides some (very small and factual) Wags videos, there are almost no info on recent functionality...   most tutorials are a year and sometimes 2 years old...  That is all part of the frustration of a early access process... but I love the F-18!

I was struggling with some of the new functions recently (AZEL, IFF, etc.) and : surprise! you have published a new version a couple day's old with a ton of info on the new functions!  Bravo! (you are waaay faster than ED with their so called 'early access guide'...).

I do have a suggestion or two:

First, it concerns BVR radar workout.  I am not so good with it and I was looking through all the internet to find some help...  Everything one can find (and there are some great tutorial videos, especially Redkyte, Spudknocker, Wags of course, and many others) is a description of functionalities (it describes very well and in great detail the different functions).  What I am looking for is a practical set of routines or methods to (synthetically, organically, methodically) search, find, identify, prioritize and eventually attack  with the various sensors or displays (ATK RDR, AZ/EL, IFF, SA, TGP, RWR)... how to integrate all this info, how to search, where to start from, how to be methodical about it, B settings, Azimuth variations, distance, exp, etc... I know what does what and which command or button to press to activate it, but I lack a good method to make an efficient routine...  Perhaps you could have a couple of this kind of thing at the end of really big and important topics (I guess looking for Ground target with the various sensors, SPI management, TGP, radar, etc, is a bit the same kind of complex integration for the brain...), that kind of tutorial, or routine, or method, could be very beneficial for many of us, certainly for me!

My second suggestion concerns checklists.  You give such an incredibly detailed suite of how tos that it is fantastic.  But, after one has learned the whole procedure (lets say startup for ex.) it would be great to have a related checklist (perhaps at the end of the guide?).  Checklists are good (and well known) for Startup, takeoff, approach, etc.. usually in all of aviation.  I think we could all benefit from a set of systems and sensors checklists as well : for example, all the various options to prepare in the FILR, or the Radar for the situation.  Finally, in the same manner as you describe so well all the steps to prepare the various weapons, a set of weapons checklists would be great!  (even better if all those checklists could fit in VR on the kneeboard 🙂

Anyway, I am just dreaming, but most of all wanted to thank you because your guides (and specifically the F-18C one) are fantastic and a real game changer for complex piece of equipment like DCS' modern jets!

A fan from Montreal

Jean-Francois (JEFX)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

I am just wondering out loud here ... has anyone used as service like LuLuexpress to print out one of Chuck's guides?  If so, how'd it turn out?  What was the cost?  Thanks.

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

Hi Mistermann,

I have used LULU in the (very far) past to print some BMS manuals!

I dont remember but it was quite expensive and the (very nice) glossy paper ended up not being so user friendly (the glue of the binding was drying and pages were ripping away, cannot really write on it), etc...

I really think that Chucks guides are best viewed on a side iPad, they are the exact best format for this.

Better, with a (free) program like PDF expert, you can import the PDF in it and write comments in it with a Apple Pen, make bookmarks, etc...

The lighting remains optimal, etc.

(the only drawback for any kind of doc now is the more recent VR situation (which I am beginning to really love!)... a several hundred pages PDF is not ideal in the kneeboard (it doesnt work), one has to break it up in several chunks.. 

(my humble opinion)

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

18 minutes ago, Mistermann said:

I am just wondering out loud here ... has anyone used as service like LuLuexpress to print out one of Chuck's guides?  If so, how'd it turn out?  What was the cost?  Thanks.

Have you considered an e-reader or Tablet? I use my iPad for keeping all the DCS documents and it has worked very well for this task:

y0jnQbv.png

... it has the advantage that when Chuck updates his Guide it is much easier to update than a paper version

ljq4Fjh.png

It is more expensive than printing a single Manual, but as I have a lot of DCS Modules it made more sense for me to go the e-reader route 🙂

Best regards and thanks to Chuck for his guides .. and support him on Patreon if you are able to 👍

Eduardo

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks Guys.  Yeah, I've got electronic devices that can manage this.  Easy-peasy.  😉

• Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

I've been out of DCS for a while, where is your Harrier guide now?

I can't see it on the master list now, just spent a happy 30 mins searching and going round in circles!

Want to check for updates.

*30 minutes later...

Hmm the Mudspike link to it is dead.

Obviously I've missed something while I've been away - do you even have a Harrier guide now? 😕

Edited by Kafka

4 hours ago, Kafka said:

I can't see it on the master list now, just spent a happy 30 mins searching and going round in circles!

IIRC Chuck is having trouble keeping up with the Harrier's recent updates as they've been poorly documented, are spread across several posts/videos and are WIP/subject to change.

At a guess Chuck has pulled his older guide until Baltic Dragon* adds the latest changes to Razbam's own manual.

The last version I have is dated 5th Nov 2020.

*IIRC BD is focused on revising the missions and training ATM, so it could take a while before he updates the official manual to include the latest changes i.e. GBU-54, APKWS, Gen 4 TPOD, HUD "hot spot" detector, etc. 

Edited by Ramsay
  • Thanks 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Interesting. If that’s the reason then I’m not surprised. The Harrier is a mess. About once a year, I pick it up to see what’s going on, and then I just drop it again when I see so many changes (most not good) and the continuing hostile comments and atmosphere from long term, suffering users. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Well, the latest version I have is 22 December 2020 for the Harrier.

Although it is amazing how Chuck keeps up, other modules don't have the fairly dramatic changes of direction that the Harrier has. Others have evolving changes in the main, but the Harrier?  Different story.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

On 4/10/2021 at 4:21 PM, Kafka said:

*30 minutes later...

Hmm the Mudspike link to it is dead.

Obviously I've missed something while I've been away - do you even have a Harrier guide now? 😕

The Harrier is currently undergoing major system reworks and RAZBAM staff has stated that they could not update their documentation for at least 6+ months due to manloading issues. Every patch brings new changes that are sometimes not adequately documented and/or spread across multiple forum threads.

I tried to keep up with the changes for a few years since 2018, but I have recently reached a point where this is no longer feasible. I get PMs every week asking me why feature X works differently (or has been removed altogether) from the guide, and the list keeps growing with each new patch. Even I am getting confused with all the back and forth, to a point where I don’t know if I can trust any procedure on the Harrier.

I asked RAZBAM staff on their Discord if their documentation updates and feature updates could be better synchronized since it would greatly help me bringing my guide up to standard for the playerbase. The answer I got does not lead me to believe that things will change for the coming months.

I have two options in front of me:

1.    Try to guesstimate things and increase the number and frequency of guide revisions, which leaves a lot of room for error (and can further confuse Harrier drivers)
2.    Wait until RAZBAM’s design is finished and then resume work on the guide.

So far, the only reasonable option is the second one. Therefore, the Harrier guide distribution is temporarily halted in order to avoid negative training.

Edited by Charly_Owl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 19

For F-16 guide, page 356, would be nice to add "6. Select the WPN (Weapon) page by pushing the OSB of the currently highlighted page" (those are SMS and FCR for example, when starting F-16 in the air.)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Let's make a few things clear about this non-crisis:

1) Some users seem to think that the Harrier guide situation is some sort of retaliatory measure against RAZBAM. It's not. The Discord post means exactly what it says: I'm doing this on my own, and no one asked me to do it. It wasn't misquoted, it's just the unpleasant reality of things, and I've made my peace with it a long time ago. If the playerbase has issues with learning the updated Harrier, it's just not my problem. My decision to pull the guide from the public should be a no factor; my work is not a primary source of information by any stretch of the imagination and this responsibility rests solely on RAZBAM's shoulders. The same applies to every developer.

2) I'm not angry at RAZBAM at all. RAZBAM is a business, and the way they do things is entirely up to them, and them alone. They have their own priorities, and whether or not they align with mine is irrelevant. If their documentation update is postponed for a few months, it's their call, period. I have my own backlog of things to do, and it's only normal that my own priorities change as well based on what I have to work with and what I want to do. If I can no longer support a document, then there's no reason to distribute it knowing some parts of it are flat out wrong.

3) I never did these guides in the hopes of gaining praise or recognition. I don't care whether a developer appreciates my stuff or not; I didn't do it for them in the first place. It's the only way to keep a sane perspective on things. 

Edited by Charly_Owl
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Most of us get it Chuck.

Some people just need to have a bit of conflict in their lives and have a keyboard rant at someone / something every now and again.

I asked the initial question about the guide and I'm happy with the responses given. Could we just crack on now?

In an attempt to start using the complex F-14B I downloaded and had printed and bound in A5 a copy of the Chuck's Guide F-14B 12/06/2020. For some reason the printer sent two copies so I have a fairly large booklet available for someone in the UK and possibly EU. All I ask for money is postage and packaging and going to and from the post office - it weighs approx 1 kg so approx £12 First Class not tracked

IMG_4303.jpg

• Like 3

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

Hi folks!

I recently noticed that there were lots of questions about players having issues with the Mirage's INS system since RAZBAM provided the v2.7 update. So I did a pass through the whole document to update it as well. RAZBAM provided valuable help throughout the revision process. Here is a list of the noticeable items:

Changelog (1/05/2021):

• Removed Flood Radar mode
  • Added RD (Route Désirée / Desired Route)
  • Re-wrote ILS landing procedure with Synthetic Runway
  • Updated INS (UNI) Alignment procedure
  • Added NAV Master Mode clarifications
  • Added Total Fuel Quantity (Détotalisateur) logic to refueling procedures
  • Fixed multiple typos and errors
  • Corrected Waypoint (But) coordinate entry format

Edited by Charly_Owl
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6

Thanks you Chuck 👍

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits