Tacview 1.3 beta 1 is available!

Vyrtuoz

Hello QuiGon,

Did you follow the check list provided on the following web page?

http://lomac.strasoftware.com/tacview-dcs.php

Which version of DCS are you using? Do you have several versions on DCS on your hard drive? Which version of Windows are you using? In which folder did you put the scripts?

I've a problem with Tacview: I installed the new version and wanted to tell it to record DCS World flights, but when I had to point it to the installation directory of DCS it said it could not find it. It is possible, that I pointed to the wrong folder, so I wanted to try it again, but now I can only chose "Record DCS World Flights" from the drop down menue of the Recording-icon and when I click on it I always get the following error message: "Export script installation has failed - Please ensure that 'DCS World' is properly installed and you have write access to it's folder."

I'm launching Tacview as admin and the Export.lua as well as the TacviewExportDCS.lua are in the DCS Scripts folder. The Export.lua has it's usual line and "allow_object_export" is set to true in the TacviewExportDCS.lua. I'm using the DCS World OpenBeta.

Any ideas?

tacview-signature-512x128x24.png

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent research as usual Vicx!

I like the idea of simple labels and the way you are grouping them. I think that pilots’ names should be displayed in place of their respective aircraft IDs. I agree about the auto scale. It is too strong for now and I will reduce it to something of just enough pixels to make the object type recognizable.

Also, I was thinking the same about scaling labels too to give a good feeling of distance on the battlefield. Obviously, they would be displayed with brighter colors, a bit like the HUD, so they would come out well regardless of the background terrain.

Even if my main focus for now are the flight recordings (in real-time or not), I may implement some of your graphical suggestions in Tacview 1.3.x to do some prototyping. The major labels and graphical user interface upgrade is currently planned for Tacview 1.5 (and 1.4.x for some prototypes).

Some ideas for the next version of Tacview. Focused on how labels are shown.

kL0PdqS.jpg

My own comment: The Mi-24 helos are actually a lot further away than it looks in the picture. I think slightly scaling the labels for the helos smaller in a ratio to match the distance from the camera would prevent the illusion of them appearing closer than they really are.

The labels for the ground units are sized 10px and airborne are 12px - should probably scale and fade labels based on distance from cam to give better visual cues.

Also I probably should have enabled the height vector.

Hello QuiGon,

Did you follow the check list provided on the following web page?

http://lomac.strasoftware.com/tacview-dcs.php

Which version of DCS are you using? Do you have several versions on DCS on your hard drive? Which version of Windows are you using? In which folder did you put the scripts?

Hello Vyrtuoz,

ty for the quick response. I did indeed follow that check list but there was nothing to do for me since the required files did already exist and contain the correct code.

I'm running the newest OpenBeta which is 1.2.14.35734 on Windows 7 64 Bit. The Export.lua and the TacviewExportDCS.lua were already in C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts when I investigated the problem and the network.cfg is in C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config. So I didn't had to put them there myself. And, like I said, they also contain the code mentioned in the checklist.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hello Vyrtuoz,

ty for the quick response. I did indeed follow that check list but there was nothing to do for me since the required files did already exist and contain the correct code.

I'm running the newest OpenBeta which is 1.2.14.35734 on Windows 7 64 Bit. The Export.lua and the TacviewExportDCS.lua were already in C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts when I investigated the problem and the network.cfg is in C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config. So I didn't had to put them there myself. And, like I said, they also contain the code mentioned in the checklist.

I have exactly the same problem (running on the same system with the same DCS Open Beta version). I had the problem already with Tacview 1.2.5-1.2.8 and an older version of DCS and I could not solve it :(

I've retried it about every 2 months but it didn't resolve by itself :)

Path to DCS:

E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta

Path to Tacview:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Tacview

Edited by Zabuza

I think I had that or a similar problem with Tacview 1.2.7 but I was able to fix it. Unfortunately I forgot what I did to fix it. I thought it was something from the checklist but this time it didn't fix the problem.

You say Tacview records your flights despite the problem? So you can use Tacview just fine? I haven't checked that so far. I'll check it when I'm home later today.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

F8jvLwh.jpg

Playing with creating ghosts to show the Tor getting target LOCK on an Su-25 and then losing LOCK. Lock seems to be dependant on the OPTICAL sensor. The optical sensor range is much smaller than the missile engagement range which is odd. This is probably just a simplification to stop the AI wasting missiles but from sim perspective I wonder if the TV Optical sight on the Tor should be able to track targets beyond the missile engagement range.

oBeS3kk.jpg

The top picture is a merge that shows what happens during playback. The unit to unit indicator from goes from blue to red to indicate (search radar detection in blue) and target tracking (optic detection in red).

The first su25 ghost is dropped when polling the Tor indicates that the Su25 has gone from an unidentified contact to an identified target. The Tor fires shortly after this. The second su25 ghost is dropped when polling the Tor indicates that the su25 is no longer visible in the Optic sight.

Hey guys!

I’ve just released Tacview 1.3.1 which automatically records DCS Open Beta flights too. I didn’t notice anything hard to setup or wrong which the open beta of DCS. Can you check if this is working better with the 1.3.1 please?

If you still don’t get any flight recordings (please make sure you don't have any new acmi files somewhere on your hard drive), can you share me your dcs.log file?

C:\Users\%username%\Saved Games\DCS\Logs\dcs.log

or obviously, depending on the version of DCS you are running:

C:\Users\%username%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Logs\dcs.log

Thanks!

I think I had that or a similar problem with Tacview 1.2.7 but I was able to fix it. Unfortunately I forgot what I did to fix it. I thought it was something from the checklist but this time it didn't fix the problem.

You say Tacview records your flights despite the problem? So you can use Tacview just fine? I haven't checked that so far. I'll check it when I'm home later today.

Hey guys!

I’ve just released Tacview 1.3.1 which automatically records DCS Open Beta flights too. I didn’t notice anything hard to setup or wrong which the open beta of DCS. Can you check if this is working better with the 1.3.1 please?

If you still don’t get any flight recordings (please make sure you don't have any new acmi files somewhere on your hard drive), can you share me your dcs.log file?

C:\Users\%username%\Saved Games\DCS\Logs\dcs.log

or obviously, depending on the version of DCS you are running:

C:\Users\%username%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Logs\dcs.log

Thanks!

Yesterday I checked what Zabuza said in #55. I have the same result. Tacview is working just fine which means it records the flights properly. The problem with the mentioned error message is still there but it does not prevent Tacview from recording. That is with version 1.3

I will try version 1.3.1 later today and see if I get the error message there as well.

Anyways nice work Vyrtuoz! Tacview is a very nice piece of software :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg

Does 1.3.1 simply setup allowing trackir to work, but isn't truly enabled? Or, is 1.3.1 the actual implementation of it? I was unable to have my tacview file follow my trackir input.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

It looks like that NaturalPoint has just published a new game update for their TrackIR driver which includes a Tacview game profile.

So, just make sure you got the update and you can see the profile. Enable the TrackIR in Tacview: Et voila! You can now enjoy this new feature!

TacviewTrackIR.png

(Hot plug is supported by Tacview)

Does 1.3.1 simply setup allowing trackir to work, but isn't truly enabled? Or, is 1.3.1 the actual implementation of it? I was unable to have my tacview file follow my trackir input.

It looks like that NaturalPoint has just published a new game update for their TrackIR driver which includes a Tacview game profile.

So, just make sure you got the update and you can see the profile. Enable the TrackIR in Tacview: Et voila! You can now enjoy this new feature!

TacviewTrackIR.png

(Hot plug is supported by Tacview)

I find a problem. The HUD is not at infinite distance. When the head is moving along the x y and z axis, the info of FPM and pitch ladder on the HUD is not correct.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MiK684, for what units are you trying to visualize Radar locks?

ATM DCS recordings for Tacview only show target locks for the aircraft you are flying.

Pictures that I have posted to this thread that show unit to unit radar detection and other sensor activity were accomplished by writing a custom exporter. It is for now a hack and needs much more work.

Thanks for the feedback. The HUD is going to be improved a lot in coming releases.

GGTharos, what do you call head swivel? Are you talking about roll, pitch or yaw? For now the angles are very wide, the most limited one is the head pitch at about +/-90 deg (which is already a lot considering what a normal person is supposed to do ;).

Vicx is right about radar locks and his screenshots are prototypes he is working on. Right now, with DCS, radar-locks are displayed only for the local aircraft and the information is limited depending on the aircraft piloted. In Tacview 1.4 we should get much more radar-lock information available.

With eye movement you'll get a lot more than +90 - but in any case, for ACMI purposes, I may want to track a particular aircraft from inside a cockpit to demonstrate aspect angle etc. It's important in training. 'Realistic' head movement is of no concern, since we're not trying to review realistic head movement in this case :)

I guess I have not kept up with betas - yaw is still at 90 degrees for me.

GGTharos, what do you call head swivel? Are you talking about roll, pitch or yaw? For now the angles are very wide, the most limited one is the head pitch at about +/-90 deg (which is already a lot considering what a normal person is supposed to do ;).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Okay, i see thanks for the answers.

I was asking, because we are currently flying the Mig21 and in some situtations in debriefing it would be nice to know when that Phantoms saw,had a lock on me, but it seems DCS/ Mig 21 is limited in that regard.

Looking forward to Tacview 1.4 :thumbup:

Cheers

oaRUVl6.jpg

Example of exporting Statics and Scenery from DCS into Tacview. You can also export hitpoints and maybe some other interesting things which is what I was doing here - tracking the health of the Barrack as an AI Tu-22 executed a strike mission (with the wrong loadout). It was deliberate.

This would be a better example with more colors and labels it is OK.

Just viewing the playback of this I was thinking it would be much better if bombs and missiles that do not strike objects to perhaps explode on impact with the ground. If the explosions were scaled with the explosivemass of the ordinance (available via LUA) then you would be able to see why some objects took damage and other objects did not.

NL7z1oW.jpg

This one is just the same with more scenery exported. It looks good and gives a good sense of scale even with pink buildings. If you use auto-scale with this scenery in the view it looks terrible- the units are waaay to big. OK enough with my complaints with Tacview auto-scale.

Tacview is a great tool - already it allows for a lot of cool things.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could stamp roads and train-lines onto the Tacview terrain too. Unfortunately I do not know how to do this.

Edited by vicx
Typo
  • Like 1

Very nice work Vicx as usual!

Yeah, yeah, I know the auto-scale is not always appropriate. Don’t worry, it will be fine eventually. :)

With the actual version, there are no explosions for bombs which hit the ground because it is not possible for Tacview to know if the bomb was active or inert. I hope that this kind of data will be available soon.

So far, I think that the best way to display roads is to use the XML static objects capabilities. However, it does not offer the appropriate type of object yet. I have to add this in my todo list… Can you easily export roads from DCS battlefield?

Keep in mind that what you are accomplishing right now is done using a tool written almost ten years ago! I’m going to announce soon what is waiting for you in the next major upgrade. Stay tuned!

OK this will be the last couple of images for a little while. This is a test of something I wanted visualised, which is bombs that miss targets still making a boom.

VkWSu1O.jpg

There are only two objects in Tacview which are spheroids/domes which can look like good candidates for impacts. <ObjectType>58 Smoke Grenade and <ObjectType>E0 Explosion/Flak

9N6t6fM.jpg

I tried<ObjectType>58 Smoke first. Strangely these ones fade into sight before they actually spawn. You get smoke appearing where the bomb will hit BUT The animation of the smoke expanding is nice effect. It would be great if the size and rate of expansion was configurable. The bigger the boom the longer it should take to expand to full size. Also this <ObjectType> can't take a label which is shame because I might want to show some stats in a label. Like how much hitpoint damage it did to surrounding objects (if any).

fwuJxSh.jpg

This last image uses <ObjectType>E0 Explosion. It appears instantly instead of fading up BUT there is no expanding animation. A hit and a miss.

I think I would like something that is bit of 58 and bit of E0. I have discussed with Frantz via PM what I'd like to see in Tacview; which is a way to make my own <ObjectType> with it's own properties. Still there has to be defaults and that is something that people here in this thread might have some ideas about.

Most of the images I have posted have been in my area of interest which is Combined Arms. If anyone wants to see if there is a way to visualize something of interest to them I might take a request. Maybe you could supply me with a trk.

Edited by vicx
cleanup

sorry for OT, but...

Is it normal that the free tacview version has no map at all? (my 21 days just expired and I haven't bought it yet) Or is this a bug?

I always thought there would be the normal DCS map, just without the tactical (far) zoom.

Not a huge problem since I am going to buy a key anyway, just wanted to know.