DCS World 1.2.14 Discussion

Devrim

I rarely use the updater but AFAIK it has been quite fast in recent months, until now.

There is no torrent. The update/patch cannot be downloaded manually and then installed.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course my main aim is not criticize great work of ED and developers, but there were more important bugs to fix rather than A-10C Ready light. I know these fixes are essential and necessary too, though...

I wonder how this job is done? We've got bad bugs in latest (v.1.2.12) update, and personally I was expecting some fix for one or two of them!

I'm sorry, but I couldn't hide my disappointment. :\

Absolutely !

:thumbup:

Those bugs didn't exist when the update was being worked on/out. It isn't like they stopped working after the release of an update.

It is a first in last out kind of thing or last out first in. (Accounting Practice)

Don't get frustrated guys they will fix them.

I use the 1.2.7 ver. along with having the Beta ver. so that I avoid issues. That is the purpose of the "Beta".

Edited by AtaliaA1

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

I rarely use the updater but AFAIK it has been quite fast in recent months, until now.

There is no torrent. The update/patch cannot be downloaded manually and then installed.

With that being the case, how DID you manage to keep your DCS Up-To-Date ?

You don't come across to me as someone who would be satisfied flying DCS Mods with out-of-date or otherwise malfunctioning Mods etc. By that I mean, you are obviously well-versed and experienced with those mods that you do fly. I certainly have learned a few things from you (thank you very much).

So what am I missing from your statement ?

SnowTiger:joystick:

With that being the case, how DID you manage to keep your DCS Up-To-Date ?...

So what am I missing from your statement ?

For every major update (i.e. v1.2.9.xxx to v1.2.10.xxx) I always download a new set of install files for DCS World and all modules (using the US and German HTTP links) and install from there. For in between updates I often use the updater, but not always.

Of course, it helps if you have oodles of storage space sitting on NAS drives. My current, online, archives of installable versions of DCS World total 173GB (the older ones are stored on BD in the closet).

In the past, before DCS update speeds improved, downloading the full set was almost always faster. In recent months that situation has improved a great deal.

1576837893_DCSInstalls.JPG.6f06208099b4ea649b9563de2c4fde1c.JPG

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Holy Sheep Dip !!

I think the technical term is anal retentive, or mild OCD...or both. :D

This is where my storage space lives.

NASs_zps0154c63f.jpg

It's actually only 6TB of space, mirrored in RAID, with 6TB of space for backups.

>>> END OT

Sorry.

Edited by cichlidfan

NASs_zps0154c63f.jpg

It's actually only 6TB of space, mirrored in RAID, with 6TB of space for backups.

>>> END OT

Sorry.

wow~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

Is there anyone know, which version will be last, before EDGE release?

I thought we were finally going to get Edge a few months ago, but four patches later your guess is as good as anyone's.

I take it these payware campaigns are going to work with the new engine when it's finally released? I'm a bit unsure about buying anything new until the Edge engine is out now.

Edited by Dudester22

NASs_zps0154c63f.jpg

>>> END OT

Sorry.

Someone understood the meaning of: MAKE A BACKUP WHILE YOU CAN !

flagrum, for the sake of speed and reliability, why dont you put all those drives into a linux machine with a real SAS/SATA controller like Adaptec and do multiple Raid-6 ?

I never liked those small NAS boxes for many reasons, speed is one of them but the crucial part is they only do software raid, and that may let you pay the price when the thing fails, rebuilds or just has a hiccup :(

Any Core2Duo, 8GB RAM and a said controller will give you alot more options, speed and reliabilty.

I use a 4-Port Adaptec 5405z SAS Adpater with ZM-BBU for my Backups, reliable and outstanding performance.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

flagrum, for the sake of speed and reliability, why dont you put all those drives into a linux machine with a real SAS/SATA controller like Adaptec and do multiple Raid-6 ?

I never liked those small NAS boxes for many reasons, speed is one of them but the crucial part is they only do software raid, and that may let you pay the price when the thing fails, rebuilds or just has a hiccup :(

Any Core2Duo, 8GB RAM and a said controller will give you alot more options, speed and reliabilty.

I use a 4-Port Adaptec 5405z SAS Adpater with ZM-BBU for my Backups, reliable and outstanding performance.

Bit

While I also love having lots of storage, my "home data center" is not quite impressive as cichlidfan's.

Will say, you seem to have confused cichlidfan and me here ... ;o)

But it is always nice to notice someone is thinking about you! <3 hehe

Bit

BitMaster

Please Don't Feed the Bears..........Or I mean Enable the Hoarders.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Haha...

nothing worse than a software Raid-5 with 2 faulty drives :)

On a raid-5 with 3 x500 GB Intel ICH it takes about 3 days to rebuild the logical drive and you won't be able to use it while its noodling.... most SW Raids are the same.

I believe in Adaptec, that has never let me down, even when 2 WD drives failed, it was a Raid 6 and went on , even through the rebuild you don't really feel a slowdown.

I agree, its a 500+ $ investment for the Card alone.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Bit

Software RAID is better than hardware. It is more secure and safer and speed isn't a problem. Most servers use Linux and most of those use software RAID.

When hardware does a error or it malfunctions, it can destroy the data. Or when hardware is old, it is hard to replace. None of that is with a software itself.

Software might sound unsafe, slow or insecure but its other way around.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Well, I am no expert on RAID configurations but I have no issues with what I have. Synology hardware/software has a very good reputation for reliability and it has served me well so far. I also like the small physical and environmental footprint. Even if I had to take one offline for a day so it could rebuild a drive, I could just move the external backup drive (USB 3.0) to another machine and all of my data is still available.

The 212 has been in use for three years with not a single hickup. The 214 for about one year.

Edited by cichlidfan

Software RAID is better than hardware. It is more secure and safer and speed isn't a problem. Most servers use Linux and most of those use software RAID.

When hardware does a error or it malfunctions, it can destroy the data. Or when hardware is old, it is hard to replace. None of that is with a software itself.

Software might sound unsafe, slow or insecure but its other way around.

No to all, .. and Linux "only" uses software raid if is has too, it's a kernel mode raid and different form Intel ICH Raids but still "NOT" a risk chip based and accelerated device. I know no Linux Admin, and I know a few, that would turn a Raid card down and prefer a self made kernel raid.

Many hosted linux and win servers use "cheap" raids to keep the monthly cost down, that is the only reason speaking for it.

If you move up that ladder, you will most likely see servers that have LSI, Adaptec or such Adapters, no server board comes without a HBA !!

They may need to be activated/payed for a full feature set but already beyond software capabilities.

Make your findings with Raid, I am talking from the point where it will cost you thousands over thousands and lost contracts if drives fail, the cost for a 20-port adapter is next to zero in this calculation.

THERE IS NO BBU In ANY SOFTWARE RAID !!!! this is like saying, OH, my car has no spare tyre, if one fails you are screwed !.

Absolutely a no-go in poefessional scenario

Wirthout a BBU (nBattery Backup Unit ) you loose all data being just precessed if a power out age happens. With a BBU you can take the controller OUT and stuff it into another Server and keep on moving, with the data in memory and battery powered....ahhh NO, software raid won't do this.

Bit

Edited by BitMaster

Apropos Speed on Sata Connectors.

With Intel Chipsets, there is a distinctive limit of 2 GB/s inside the ICH chip. All devices together that are controlled by this chip can only use 2GB/s bandwidth.

There are 6-10 Sata ports, maybe a Network Interface with 1GB too and some other devices.

You can clearly see that speed does get an issue, you just have to have enough 10-15k drives

and a couple of teamed 1GB-NICs and you are flat against the wall.

There is a reason why M2 connectors nowadays are so famous as they bypass the ICH chip and directly attach to the PCI-E chip that has far more bw to offer.

The raid card uses the same approach, just that it has an additional dedicated risc based chip with about 1-2 GB RAM added, a full 8x-PCI-E based connector and a battery backup unit ( BBU ).

With those cards, say you have a 16-port, you can do mad things with transfer speeds way above 2GB/sec while you do NOT limit sort fill any other pipeline on the board. Coupled with a TOE ( tcp offload engine ) NIC you can shuffle that much data with about zero CPU load.

That looks very very different on a software driven machine that has to use its ICH and standard memory to buffer transfers and needs the CPU to calculate that tcp stream ( 1, 2 or 10Gbit connectors ). The Network alone will tax your CPU at a noticeable rate, with the HD work on top, ¼-⅓ of your CPU is busy managing this whereas the hardware accel. server just cruises along.

If I have to use software Raid, I have to admit, I choose Linux SW Raid 10x over Intels ICH version, that is for sure.

BTW, I have built, used and still maintain all of the above mentioned raid methods and I clearly see how they perform and what the costs are, I am not hiding the truth here.

Bit

They will *never* have enough time to fix it if they keep on releasing new beta-modules, which bring new bugs. In fact, number (and severity) of bugs in DCS remains about the same for quite long time. Whenever one bug gets fixed, at least one new is introduced...

of course, but that is all about programming, and i have greatest respect to the people working on it. Don't forget it is already a big program with a lot of code.

lg Markus