how to limite FOV limits?

pupo162

hi all, i bought DCS dora a few months back in a sale, but only now i decided to test fly it.

I have used the search function but i don't seem to find the answer to my question ( mind you this forums search is reallllly hard to use)

how do you change the max and minimum FOV? Currently my minimum FOV is something like 3º and max is borderline 180º FOV... i would like to limit my FOV to something more normal say 20º to 100º is this possible?

thanks in advance!

Yes its possible but you have to edit .lua files and you need a program called notepad++

which you can find here : http://notepad-plus-plus.org

I suggest you change your views.lua in the Users folder not in the original DCS folder

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Iirc you can create it in the user folder, that way you dont have to keep on editing everytime there is a DCS update

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

That's a good question, and now that you ask it, I realise I would like to do the same as the wide angle view is far too wide! :)

I also have no view.lua in my Users folder (not even a 'View' folder in my 'Config' folder), only one in the main DCS folder. Is it safe to assume that if I copy the file (or any file) to the same location in my user directory, the game will read that version instead?

Game location:

D:\DCS World\config\View\View.lua

Proposed user location:

C:\Users\{username}\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\View.lua

That said, this file only seems to determine the external view setting, not the cockpit setting:

ExternalViewAngleMin = 3.0

ExternalViewAngleMax = 170.0

ExternalViewAngleDefault = 60.0

I found some views.lua files in the aircraft directories, but not for all aircraft. I can't find one for the A-10C for example.

For the Mi-8 it looks quite straightforward with the views.lua file:

ViewSettings = {

Cockpit = {

[1] = {-- player slot 1

CockpitLocalPoint = {3.916, -0.11 , 0.0},

CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,160.000000},

CameraAngleRestriction = {false,90.000000,0.400000},

CameraAngleLimits = {140.000000,-65.000000,90.000000},

EyePoint = {0.090000,0.000000,0.000000},

limits_6DOF = {x = {-0.200000,0.400000},y ={-0.200000,0.25000},z = {-0.650000,0.400000},roll = 90.000000},

Question is, can this file also be copied to the Users directory under the same folder structure?

On a side note, I feel the lateral 6DOF movement on the Mi-8 is not enough, especially with the bubble side windows. I should experiment with the 6DOF setting above for the x axis and find a new setting, albeit with the risk of clipping the geometry or seeing 'holes' in the model.

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Config\View\server.lua

Edit Line 21 to: CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,110.000000},

This will get rid of the fisheye and allow for a more realistic "stop" when using the zoom out..

This is the setting I use. You can fine tune to your liking form there.

Edited by Rider1

Can we see pics before and after this ''mod'' of yours, ingame? Im kinda interested :)

Not sure if that was at the OP or me (guess either of us), but unfortunately I didn't get time to try changing any settings yet; haven't been near DCS all week.

Interesting tip, Rider - will the server.lua affect all game modes and aircraft, do you know? It's currently set to 140 max and the wide-angle view feels more like 180 from memory. I'll try it when I can anyway. (Trying things out in DCS is never a quick affair!)

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Config\View\server.lua

Edit Line 21 to: CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,110.000000},

This will get rid of the fisheye and allow for a more realistic "stop" when using the zoom out..

This is the setting I use. You can fine tune to your liking form there.

Rider, I tried this but it did not seem to effect the zoom out point? I don't have the open beta but followed the same path to the server lua and changed line 21 in notepad++ to 110 but it still seems to zom out just as far with the fisheye effect. What am I doing wrong?

Anybody?

Edited by 9./JG52 Ziegler

Hmm.. sorry it is not working for you. :(

I just did the update and made those changes again:

Here is the pathway I just used

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View\server.lua

I then made the change from 140 to 110

function default_fighter_player(t)

local res = {

Line 21: CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,110.000000},

And it works fine.. Fisheye is gone and zoom out stops at I guess 110 degrees :)

Maybe double check it, and try an instant action mission to test it..

edit: Check your saved games folder. If you have a copy of server lua in there, you can make the changes in there also..

Edited by Rider1

Hmm.. sorry it is not working for you. :(

I just did the update and made those changes again:

Here is the pathway I just used

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View\server.lua

I then made the change from 140 to 110

function default_fighter_player(t)

local res = {

Line 21: CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,110.000000},

And it works fine.. Fisheye is gone and zoom out stops at I guess 110 degrees :)

Maybe double check it, and try an instant action mission to test it..

edit: Check your saved games folder. If you have a copy of server lua in there, you can make the changes in there also..

I wonder if it's because I'm using the zoom out slow in view versus zoom out in cockpit?

Edited by 9./JG52 Ziegler

Hmm I don't know if this is similar but after one of the updates long time ago they added a limit to how much "pitch up" you can look. No problems with that, cuz obviously a human head cannot do a 180, but when you reach the limit the view snaps to the sides and it is very confusing. Can you somehow remove this snapping ? Sorry for using this thread, but I am asking as it seems it will be something similar to the original problem

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days